View Full Version : "Dead" spot in touchscreen

Dave Beauvais
01-30-2003, 07:03 AM
This is a new one; I've never had this happen on any previous touchscreen-based PDA I've owned. I noticed something a couple days ago with my one week old h5455... the touchscreen seems to have a small "dead" spot, illustrated by the screenshot below. It's not completely dead, but I have to press the stylus significantly harder in that one small area for any input to be recognized. If it were anywhere else on the screen, I might never have noticed it, but because of its location, it messes with Letter Recognizer and Transcriber occasionally if I happen to form part of a character over that spot.

The screenshot below is of a blank note where I just made stylus strokes across that area of the screen. The white spot in the center of the red circle is where no stylus input is detected. If I press hard in the area, eventually it'll be recognized. No matter what direction I move the stylus in, the shape of the "dead" spot is always the same.

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/touchscreen_dead_spot.gif

Right now, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the almost 150-mile drive to the nearest CompUSA to exchange it before the 14 day return/exchange period is over. I'm sure it's something I can just adapt to, since this new iPAQ is otherwise simply amazing.

Anyone else seen something like this before?

--Dave

Bloop
01-30-2003, 07:11 AM
If I were you I would go return it. b/c you’re just going to regret it in the future. It is a common thing for sensors to go out if a certain area is hit a bunch of times. But this is more of a manufacture defect. Think about it if you want to fix this problem later, your going to have to send it to HP, who’s not going to repair you PDA, their just going to send you a refurbished one, after they have had it for like 2 weeks.

vincentsiaw
01-30-2003, 02:49 PM
hei, you better return it even if you have to drive 150 miles, otherwise you gonna regret it man ! a 5450 is ain't cheap man, it can buy 2 axim for crying out loud!

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Never seen anything like that (on a brand new unit)...

But if I paid that kind of money, I would return it...

Just my .02!

Steve

Dave Beauvais
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Of course you're all right. :-) More than likely, I'll be heading up there this weekend to exchange it. Thanks for the input, guys!

--Dave