View Full Version : Hard reset.....does it totally clearly everything?

looneytoone
01-30-2003, 05:27 AM
Here's the scoop. I am selling my HP548 (sob) and hoping that that wonderful Dell will show up sooner or later. I want to make sure that every iota of my existence is off the 548. Will a hard reset totally clear the system? Are there other suggestions or things I should do to maintain my information until the Dell shows up?

Anthony Caruana
01-30-2003, 05:54 AM
Hi there

I have hard reset my old HP548 a number of times when using it to test stuff out and have never found anything left behind on it after a hard reset

Have a nice day

Pony99CA
01-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Here's the scoop. I am selling my HP548 (sob) and hoping that that wonderful Dell will show up sooner or later. I want to make sure that every iota of my existence is off the 548. Will a hard reset totally clear the system? Are there other suggestions or things I should do to maintain my information until the Dell shows up?
Unless a Pocket PC has user-accessible ROM (like the iPAQ File Store), a hard reset will completely wipe your device. That's the point of it -- to reset the device as it shipped from the factory.

Before you hard reset, make sure you synchronize your data with Outlook and backup any data or settings files elsewhere on the device (cookies, fonts, favorites, etc.) that you'll want. Finally, do a backup just in case you don't sell your 548 and decide you absolutely need to use it after the hard reset.

Steve

CodeSurge
01-30-2003, 08:59 AM
If you really feel like playing it safe, you can remove the batteries to make sure that the PPC is drained of all power. Since the RAM needs a trickle of electricity to store its data, taking away that power should clear out your RAM. Make sure you remove any expansion cards and writable ROM space, naturally. ;)

Anthony Caruana
01-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Battery removal in the 548 is pretty tough as there is no removable battery