View Full Version : Chinese New Year 2003

Chris Hendriks
01-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Chinese New Year or the Lunar New Year will be celebrated in the Far East starting from 1/31 and ending 2/7. The New Year starts on Sat Feb 1st. The Year 2003 is the year of the Sheep.

The Lunar New Year has much cultural significance in the Far East and is celebrated much like our own Christmas. It is both a celebratory and a religious occasion steeped in many old traditions, superstitions, and customs.

As such, almost all activity is suspended during this entire week and is considered a national holiday.

Some interesting sites to visit to learn more are:

http://www.gio.gov.tw/taiwan-website/5-gp/newyear/

and

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/2003.htm

I would like to wish friends and colleagues in the Far East a simple wish:
May joy, happiness, wealth and health come to you throughout the Year of the Black Sheep!

chris

gwinter
01-30-2003, 01:19 AM
The Lunar New Year has much cultural significance in the Far East and is celebrated much like our own Christmas. It is both a celebratory and a religious occasion steeped in many old traditions, superstitions, and customs.

I beg to differ. As far as I know, this occasion has nothing to do with religion at all. It is celebrated by the Chinese, simple as that. (Ok, maybe not that simple since those who uses or traditionally uses Lunar calendar also celebrate this occasion.)

masaki
01-30-2003, 06:21 AM
Growing up in Hong Kong, I loved Chinese New Year (I still do). Chinese New Year is sort of like Christmas for the West, a major festival on the Chinese calendar. We used to get all new stuff, clothes mostly, and we would visit relatives and get 'Red Pockets' (little red envelop with money in it). Then there was the huge family dinner. All family members gathered together. Chat, play, eat....and eat... :) There are delicious traditional New Year's snacks too. [My mom made some the past weekends and they're pretty much gone now :)] It was a lot of fun and I miss that very much. Here in Canada, the atmosphere is just not the same as it is in Hong Kong or in Asia in general. It has gotten better each year though. There's Lion Dance [my friend's kids are in it too ;)] and other performance. People will celebrate the Chinese New Year this weekend in Chinatown (Calgary). Chinese New Year Celebration, coming to a Chinatown near you ;)

P.s. My dad said 2003 is year of the Goat and not Sheep though.

Kati Compton
01-30-2003, 07:56 AM
All I know is that I was born in the year of the Dragon. Yay! I've always liked that.

bendigo
01-30-2003, 08:12 AM
I, myself was in the year of the horse....

Happy Chinese New Year!

Chris Hendriks
01-30-2003, 08:25 PM
P.s. My dad said 2003 is year of the Goat and not Sheep though.

I checked a number of web sites and they use sheep, goat, ram to mean the same thing.

Chris Hendriks
01-30-2003, 08:39 PM

I beg to differ. As far as I know, this occasion has nothing to do with religion at all. It is celebrated by the Chinese, simple as that. (Ok, maybe not that simple since those who uses or traditionally uses Lunar calendar also celebrate this occasion.)

Quite the contrary, there is deep religious significance associated with this important event but I am sure the amount differs from family to family just as it does in the west around Christmas time.

"Before the Chinese New Year's Eve feast, all family members burn incense and perform religious rites in front of the altar of their ancestors. Following the ceremony, they gather around the table to enjoy a sumptuous meal, usually consisting of 10 dishes"

"The first order of the day on Chinese New Year's Day is to offer ritual homage to one's ancestors with generous food offerings. The family first pays veneration to its ancestors, then to the gods, and finally the members of the younger generations pay their respects to those of the elder generation. The family next proceeds to a temple to burn incense in a ritual of worship, and then goes out to bring New Year greetings to their friends and relatives; or they may go to a scenic area for an outing. Households set off firecrackers and dragon and lion dances are performed everywhere, from the busiest cities to the most remote areas. It is truly a period of national celebration"

felixdd
02-03-2003, 01:52 AM
It's not really a religion guys...more like a tradition. It's hard to think of a Western holiday of the same calibre that isn't religious by source -- but the rituals that we go through during New Year's is more tradition than anything. Tradition, and an excuse to party and get money from people! :D 8) :D

Gung Hay Fat Choy everyone!
(Or in Mandarin: "Gung Shi Fah Tsai!")