View Full Version : My e740 Died this morning, how's your day been?

Jimmy Dodd
01-29-2003, 04:54 PM
I installed the 802.1x patch last week. Ever since then I've had trouble enabling the WiFi. I turn the blue switch to "On" and the title bar WiFi icon changes from the "!" the the "X" (OK so far). When I tap on the WiFi icon I get the "Turn On"/"Configure" popup. But tapping the "Turn On" doesn't do anything (other than a barely perceptibale flicker of the WiFi icon. With the blue switch set to "On" tapping the WiFi settings icon in Settings results in the "Turn on your WiFi switch" popup - even though the wswitch is on. I have to reset the device to get it to recognize the WiFi is on.

Today I went through the same routine, only the e740 never returned from the reset. I now get the ROM version image and a single plink note (I think it used to be two different notes, but I'm not sure) and then the screen goes white with a black band across the top portion (the White Screen of Death? the Black Band of Doom?). In this condiition it remains. I see a hard reset coming and maybe a return to Best Buy.

Has anyone else had any problem with these two issues?

67stang
01-29-2003, 06:30 PM
whoa...that is strange. No problems here. You say this started after the installingToshiba 802.11 upgrade? If so, i will stay away from it ;)

I'd try removing that patch (if possible), then email toshiba support.

David27
01-29-2003, 07:35 PM
I just updated to the new 802.1x patch for the e740.

I have just noticed that if I accidentally turn on Pocket Warrior (WLAN scanning tool) before I turn on the e740’s wifi device that even after I turn off the Pocket Warrior software the e740 wifi device will not turn on any more and I get very similar icon flickers as you described. After a soft-reset has been performed everything is back to normal. I can then turn on my wifi device then open Pocket Warrior. I had noticed before the 802.1x upgrade that on occasion the wifi device would not turn on until after a soft-reset, so I am not really going to go all out and say this is a issue specific to the new 802.1s patch, but there may be some applications that ‘wack’ the wifi device on the e740 if the device is not turned on before they try to access it. I know I have always hated the fact that you can not configure the wifi device unless it is turned on. There are occasion the I would like to configure then turn on the device.

Jimmy Dodd
01-29-2003, 07:57 PM
OK, here's an update. I think I may be looking at two different problems.

I recently enabled an app called Today HTML from SlipperSoft. This app lets you specify an URL to be displayed as an item on the Today screen. I set the URL to a web page (not on my local device). After reading David27's post about Pocket Warrior I wonder if perhaps the Today HTML applet was trying to use the WiFi before it was turned on and thus preventing me from turning it on later. 'Wacking' the WiFi device as he so eloquently put it.

I believe that this was my first reset after installing the Today HTML plug-in, so my greater problem (complete lockup) may also be caused by it also. I will try to contact SlipperSoft about the issue. I checked their web site and already see that they are advertising a newer version than I have that boasts "better support for pages hosted on remote webservers" so maybe that's the issue. Perhaps the older version has issues regarding dealing with unreachable URLs.

ExtremeSIMS
01-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Please keep us posted - I don't want to install the 802.1x patch until I hear your pain. ;)