View Full Version : Any Clue when the LOOX will be in the US - officially?

possmann
01-28-2003, 07:57 PM
I know that we (US folks) can get our hand on this product, but I'd like to know from anyone out there if they have heard of any official plans for FSC-US to release this to the US marketplace.

I share the comments with many on the strategic decision FSC made to drop the phone module in place of the CF card supplied by Audiovox - looking at that product info I am interested in see how the CF module works - according to the Audiovox site, it may provide most of the same features that the PocketPC OS provides. FSC said they would release this product in Europe in Jan so I am eagerly awaiting that news & review?

Any info on either of these products - specific to release in the US - would be great.

Thanks!

Duncan
01-29-2003, 12:10 AM
I wish I could tell you but when I asked them Fujitsu kept giving me dates that slipped further and further back. Some other contacts had info on possible release dates as well - but gradually they have all passed. The latest info I have is Summer 2003 BUT it may not be the same specs as the Euro/Asia Loox - and I have no idea what that might mean!

possmann
01-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Any more news on the CF "phone card"?

I've read just about everthing I can on the "offical" sites for FSC and Audiovox, but they also indicate that the CF Card will be a Euro release only in Jan 03 with no indication for release elsewhere (ok specifically the US).

Would love to know more about this card. Dale put a review of a SprintPCS data-only CF Card up on his site - this card really lacks what the Audiovox one claims to offer - GPRS/GSM, tri-band, data/voice... Any news on CDMA?

My iPaq 3600 series is slowly dying, but I will not replace it until I can fully replace phone and pocketpc - WITHOUT adding a sleeve and without sacrificing memory or color count. If the XDA had an X-Scale, updated screen and 64m or memory I would be first in line to buy. the only device that I see of present that still comes close to what I am looking for in a pocketpc/phone is the LOOX.

Thoughts and rumor are welcome ;)

possmann
01-30-2003, 07:34 PM
LOOX should be availible starting 1 April...

Now that is from a Fujitsu Reseller who looked for the latest information online about this device - he's thinking most likely Q2 which means June...

No news on the CF Phone card - but he has put a request in for me on both the LOOX offical US release and the CF phone card release for the US - it will be interesting to hear what he gets back. Should be about a week - potentially two before I hear anything more about it.