View Full Version : CF NIC wired connectivity

PPCWanderer
01-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Has anyone had success getting the 548 to use a wired network card to access a network or to remotely sync?

In reading recent articles and when using an Ipaq with 2002 this seemed fairly easy, but I'm fighting with this bullheaded PPC2000 Jornada 548 and it doesn't want to get an IP address from the DHCP server even though it is doing plenty of TX and RX'ing with something.

The nic is a Hawking 10/100 CF+ and I have done the driver install, soft reset and inserted card, set up my networking choices for the card and removed and re-inserted the card with no luck. There just are that many options to be set. Is there something else I am missing.

Typically I am a fairly competent admin/engineer but this is making me feel pretty dumb. Any help would be much appreciated since I can't upgrade to a new PPC just yet.

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2003, 05:25 PM
I use a Pretec CF LAN card to sync to my desktop (Mostly used to do backups as it is much faster than serial/usb)...

What settings are you using? I see you are using DHCP (If it still doesn't work, just assign a static IP address to your card). Make sure the IP address of the desktop PC is set as the WINS server on your Jornada...

Any more questions, just ask!

Steve

PPCWanderer
01-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks Steve, let's see what happens

PPCWanderer
01-28-2003, 06:54 PM
I tried doing what you suggested Steve, and it is still not working. I cannot sync to my machine, and have no internet access. I have the proxy details set up but am still getting nowhere. I've also added my domain ID into the settings in case the proxy is looking for an ID before allowing access to the internet.

Are there any utilities which will allow you to ping from the PPC? Maybe the network is just not allowing PPCs on. Would there be interference from the default network configurations that come built into the Jornada's OS, the NE2000 Compatible Etherenet Driver and the Socket LP-E Driver?

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Use this app for PING utility: VXUtil (http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html)

Also, make sure you set up ActiveSync to allow sync over the network...

Let me know if you can/can't ping your desktop...

Steve

PPCWanderer
01-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Steve, thanks for the link. I put the software on and softset the 548. No joy. I'll put the card in a CF/PC Card adapter I have and try it in the laptop. Maybe the card is bad. The only thing I can ping is my own IP. It refuses to connect to the DHCP server even though it is RX and TX ing like mad.

Any other thoughts?

Anybody who is reading feel free to drop in.

PPCWanderer
01-29-2003, 03:15 PM
I put the CF card in the PPC at home and it worked just fine. The only problem I had was that syncing with the home computer with a cradle is impossible, which is the whole reason I wanted a NIC. So without being able to sync via cradle, the system won't allow me to sync via 10/100.

On the other hand, I came in this morning to work and still can't get on the network. With my work computer I CAN connect via IR but can't use the NIC. Talk about frustrating.

I was thinking about trying to copy my laptop ActiveSync partnership to my desktop and see if it will accept the partnership on the desktop that way. Has anyone ever tried this?

FredMurphy
01-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Connection Manager does a good job of preventing ActiveSync (seem to use "Work" settings) and IE (seems to use "Internet" settings) working - especially if you want BOTH to work at the same time. This is probably an good area to mess around with.

PPCWanderer
01-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok, How do you get to Connection Manager on the Jornada? :? I remember seeing that on an Ipaq with PPC 2002 but I don't find anything like it on the Jornada which is PPC 2000.

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Ok, How do you get to Connection Manager on the Jornada? :? I remember seeing that on an Ipaq with PPC 2002 but I don't find anything like it on the Jornada which is PPC 2000.

It is not available on the older Jornadas (and you should be happy that it isn't :wink: )...

Steve

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2003, 04:20 PM
PPCWanderer,

What is the IP address, and subnet mask set to on your desktop?

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Connection Manager does a good job of preventing ActiveSync (seem to use "Work" settings) and IE (seems to use "Internet" settings) working - especially if you want BOTH to work at the same time. This is probably an good area to mess around with.
... which is why vxUtil is a good place to start - it's not affected by Connection Mangler. :) Make sure you can ping your desktop before you do anything else, PPCWanderer.

--janak

PPCWanderer
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, no go, but I'm going to keep trying, not letting Microsoft win this one.

I can ping the desktop and sync Avantgo over the internet from the Jornada, but I still can't sync to the desktop. Maybe a combination of hacking the partnership directories and reg entries on the desktop and 548 will get them to talk. I figure I'll have to do a partnership by IP address since I do not have a DNS or WINS on my home network.

Has anyone ever had to jury-rig a partnership before or connect to a desktop on a network w/o a DNS or WINS? Anyone with ideas of where to look in the 548 for the partnership details, files or reg?

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Let me know after you do the following:

In activeSync (On the desktop) make sure you check the box for "allow network and Remote Access" under connection settings.

If you are not getting an IP address from your DHCP server, assign a static IP address and subnet mask.

Make sure on the Pocket PC you put the IP address of the Desktop PC in as your WINS server address.

Steve

PPCWanderer
02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
With the help from you guys, We have success!

Putting all of the settings in did not get me a connection witht he desktop because there was no partnership on the desktop with the PPC. The laptop had a partnership because I could connect using IR. So I put the laptop on the network with the desktop, found the entry for the partnership in the registry, exported it from the laptop, imported it into the desktop after modifying it for the right NT ID info.

I then copied the partnership directory from the Local settings/microsoft/ActiveSync directory fromt he laptop to the desktop. When I restarted wcescomm.exe it recognized the partnership. When I connected the PPC ont he nic, and told it to find the laptop name(had to change the desktop to match) in the PPC's Activesync, It found it and connected and allowed me to sync with the desktop.

Thanks for the help! :D

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2003, 01:41 PM
You never sync'd with that desktop before? You should have mentioned that in your initial post...

So, it looks like we were working o two different problems then (getting you on the network, and an initial sync)???

I put the CF card in the PPC at home and it worked just fine. The only problem I had was that syncing with the home computer with a cradle is impossible, which is the whole reason I wanted a NIC. So without being able to sync via cradle, the system won't allow me to sync via 10/100.

Ahhh, now I understand!!! :wink:

Glad to see you solved your problem... :way to go:

Steve

BTW, just out of curiosity, why couldn't you connect a sync cable to the desktop???

PPCWanderer
02-01-2003, 06:41 PM
I can't connect via the sync cable because after all the damage my 548 has taken, the sync port will not hold the sync cable and make contact with the pins. So I bought the CF NIC to allow a few more months of use to see if more complete models of PDAs come out.