View Full Version : Axim X5 or toshiba e740?

hdsalinas
01-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Greetings fellow axim owners!

I need your help to know what to get. I am planning on getting a new PDA to replace my ipaq3650 (upgraded to PPC 2002). I was almost sold on the Toshiba e740 until the X5 came out. Now I dont know which one to get. I want to get a PDA that has both CF and SD integrated (got tired of expansion packs) and also WIFI. I know that the Axim has no wifi at the moment but I am willing to give in a little since I would be getting more memory and a much better screen. A friend at work has a toshiba e320 and I like the size and looks of it a lot (even more than the pictures I have seen of the axim) The only problem I see is the screen on the toshibas, they look straight out of a palm m505 that another friend of mine has.

I would like to hear from anyone that has swicht from an e740 to an axim to give me their experiences, good and bad of these two units.

Thanks

Hector David Salinas
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
(central america)

PDAs: Palm IIIx (sold), HP540 (collecting dust), and my Ipaq3650 which goes to work with me everyday! :lol:

ThomasC22
01-28-2003, 08:03 AM
I would say hands down go with the Axim X5 for the following reasons:

1 - the screen on the Axim is MUCH BETTER (please note caps). You'd really need to see them to take it in, but trust me, MUCH BETTER (again, note the caps).

2 - I've found my CF WiFi card in the Axim is much better with battery life than the e740's internal WiFi ever was. Without WiFi I think (I never did a formal test) the Axim goes for longer as well.

3 - Axim sales are up, Toshiba sales are down. That could mean nothing, but it could also mean Dell is in the PPC market for the long run, and Toshiba is headed for the hills.

4 - Bugs. I've had my fair share of problems with the Axims I've gotten (Dpads and screens going out mostly) but the warranty is good and Dell is eager to replace the units. Toshiba has aweful tech support and tons of bugs (do a search if you don't belive me).

So, that is my humble opinion, hope it helps.

jeffmd
01-28-2003, 12:10 PM
The e740 has a fantastic screen, and is actually starting to make some seriuse headway on the pocket MVP (divx) boards. Not only is the unit capable of handeling much higher bitrates without droping frames like the dell, but a new version of the player was released takeing advantage of the ati's scaleing capabilities. (In other words, one step closer to playing movies without the need to recompress).

The dell 400 is undoubtedly cheaper..and no other unit gives you more value for the money, but if you have the cash to burn and want something that will preform a bit better, check out the e740.

johncj
01-28-2003, 12:16 PM
You have a difficult choice. I have an e740. A friend of mine has the Axim. The answer to your question is: It depends. Here are the differences. You decide what's important to you:

1. Screen - Dell's is better, but the Toshiba's is good enough for most people.

2. Size - Toshiba is thinner, but the Dell is not huge

3. Battery - Dell has an advantage here, but if you buy the Toshiba extended battery, less so.

4. Built-in Wifi - Toshiba's is always there.

5. Price - You get more for your money from Dell

6. Aesthetics - This is a matter of personal taste, but I like the Toshiba's looks.

7. I like the flexibility of having two free slots and WiFi running, but that's not a big deal to most people.

From your post, I expect you will go with the Axim and if I was in the market today, I might do the same.

axim400
01-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Well my friend has the toshiba e740 and he loves it except that it is so big, it doesn't fit in his pocket because it is long and wide, but very slim. The dell is smaller 2d but thicker, so i might fit in pockets better.

Stealthboy
01-28-2003, 10:20 PM
I believe that the main reason that the e740 is a popular choice is the built-in WiFi. I'm also an iPaq 3600 series with PPC2002 owner and was very close to purchasing a e740 for only $340 after rebate a couple of weeks ago because it was half the price of the H5450(plus my wife would kill me if I paid $700 for a pocketpc) and had built in WiFi, CF, and SD slots.

Why did I change my mind? I spent an hour at CompUSA using the device and was not impressed. I made sure that it was patched with the November ROM Update that "fixed button and WiFi issues". I still had problems using the D-pad for playing games and did not care for the squishy washed out screen (even compared to the 12-bit color screen on the old iPaq) or the cheap black plastic (don't get me started on the ugly cradle). I also had read the complaints about battery life with WiFi on and lack of good support from Toshiba.

Last December I stopped by the Dell kiosk in a local mall and ran some of the same tests with the Axim. At that time, I noticed the same D-pad problems everyone had mentioned (now fixed on new ones) but other than that I liked the feel and look of the device. The screen is definitely a step up from the old iPaq. I was hoping to wait for the rumoured X7 with built-in WiFi, but decided to bite the bullet when I heard about the additional $40 off deal that Dell (mistakenly) offered a couple of weeks ago. I also picked up a D-link CF WiFi card for $39.99 after rebates from Best Buy that I'm using with my iPaq until my Axim arrives.

Based on the mostly positive feedback from Axim owners, I don't think that I'll be disappointed with my purchase.

Are you selling your old iPaq? I found someone at my office who is buying my 3635 with a silver slider 2 w/flip cover and an extra cradle and AC adapter for $200. Am I charging too much? I paid a total of $650 for the lot new.

hdsalinas
01-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks a lot for your responses.

I have decided to wait and see if the rumored Axim with WIFI shows up. Although who knows, maybe I will give in and get the X5. :lol:

My decision is based mainly on:

MEMORY The axim has user accessible space in ROM, the toshiba has
none. (correct me if I am wrong)
:?: Can I install applications on ROM or is it only for storage?

SCREEN The Axim has a better screen. I have used my friendīs e320
and I really donīt like the screen

The only thing keeping me from getting the Axim is size. I also have a HP 540 and as long as it is the same thickness it will be ok. I wish I could see more high definition pictures of it :(

As for my Ipaq, I am not selling it. I will order a replacement battery for it first (since now it won't even last an hour before running out of juice) and then I will give it to my girlfriend. (she wants it! :lol: )

So I will sit and wait and see what happens. Maybe the new PPC2004 comes out first!

Hector David Salinas