View Full Version : my videos are choppy

sacbudz
01-26-2003, 01:18 AM
i use pocket tv to view mpeg music videos that I download from kazaa. When i watch them on my computer the videos are crisp and run clear. However, when I load them to my axim(400mhz) the video is choppy. Is there anything anyone could suggest to make the video play better. I also tried watching a windows media video and that played even worse. please help.

guinness
01-26-2003, 01:29 AM
PPC's are real fussy about video, the bitrate can't very high or you have to sacrafice on resolution. I encode most of my videos to .wmv format using Windows Movie Maker 2 @ 218 kbps at a res of 208x160. I've tried to encode at higher bitrates such as 340 or 512 kbps, but only the audio would work, the video wouldn't show up. At 240x320, the video was jerky, not much can be done about that for right now. Desktop pc's and PPC's are similar in some respects, but vastly different in others, video being a huge one. I think with Pocket TV for example, about the best you can do is 20-24 fps.

Jude
01-26-2003, 05:47 AM
Forget about Pocket TV and Windows Media Player (or at least until it supports WMV 9), use Pocket MVP (www.pocketmvp.com). You can convert your MPEGs to DivX so that their filesizes will be a lot smaller and they'll play better. There are a lot of encoding guides at www.projectmayo.com and www.pocketmatrix.com. On a 400 mHz X-scale, your videos ought to play smoothly at fullscreen (320x240) 24 fps.