View Full Version : Best way to have internet anywhere?

mirkazemisaman
01-25-2003, 06:36 PM
I have a Dell Axim, I was wondering if there was any way I could have access to the internet everywhere I go, so basically I want to have internet anywhere my cell phone works. I am not worried about the cost right now, just want to know if it were possible.

Example: A CF to PC card adapter + a PC card that recieves a signal from a service like Sprint....

or

A cell phone to Bluetooth CF connection

whatever is more reliable....

Thanx for any replies...

mconnick
01-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Here's how I stay connected:

1. Via WiFi hot spots (like Starbucks) using my e740's built-in 802.11b radio.
2. Via Ethernet (like hotel high-speed LAN services) using a Socket 10/100 Ethernet CF card.
3. When all else fails, via my cell phone using a Socket DPC CF card.

Of course the WiFi and Ethernet solutions can also often be used in work locations, too.

mirkazemisaman
01-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanx, I guess my original post was not well written out... Anyways, what is the best Phone and Bluetooth CF configuration? Are there any other options with regards to using a phone OTHER THAN bluetooth?

mconnick
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanx, I guess my original post was not well written out... Anyways, what is the best Phone and
Bluetooth CF configuration? Are there any other options with regards to using a phone OTHER THAN bluetooth?

Yes, that's what my Socket DPC (Digital Phone Card) CF card is for. It has a cable that plugs into the bottom of my SprintPCS cell phone and turns it into a cellular modem.

yvilla
01-26-2003, 05:35 PM
mirkazemisaman, I don't use bluetooth, so I can't give you recomendations on that. But, if you don't already have a bluetooth capable phone, you can check to see whether Socket has a digital phone card (DPC) for your phone. It uses the CF slot in your PPC, and the other end of the cable plugs into your phone. I used one with a Nextel phone and my Casio and was quite happy with it. http://socketcom.com/product/dpc_card.asp

I've since changed to T-Mobile and a e550G, and I'm considering going with a CF wireless card, like the Audiovox. http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?area=story&story=02/10/18/3570253

But as you noted in your original post, there are PC card based wireless solutions as well, for either GSM/GPRS or CDMA services. What you choose is going to be based on which phone and which cell carrier you want or use first, and then on a little exploration into the various wired/cable vs wireless solutions out there that will work for your set-up. Good luck in your explorations!

mconnick
01-26-2003, 06:42 PM
But as you noted in your original post, there are PC card based wireless solutions as well, for either GSM/GPRS or CDMA services.

SprintPCS also has a CF card for their CDMA 3G network.

mirkazemisaman
01-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Yvilla, your links were specially helpful. I will perhaps go with a GSM/GPRS CF card.
Oh and by the way I set up my first WLAN (802.11b) today. The whole network consists of two laptops with WLAN PCMCIA cards and soon an Axim. I should have gone wireless years ago... did they even exist "years ago"???