View Full Version : Toshiba e570 Styli - Anyone? Anyone?

Jason Dunn
01-25-2003, 09:03 AM
I need a bit of help from you - Microsoft was kind enough to donate a few older Pocket PCs (Toshiba e570s) to my church so I could equip some of the staff with them, but they were used for trade shows and are lacking in the stylus department. So I figured I'd just go out and buy some, right? I wish! I've contacted a few online vendors, and no one can get them in - or even find a part number. I've checked on ebay, but <a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3002285934&category=3728">all I can find are expensive "all in one" units</a>. I also checked on <a href="http://www.styluscentral.com">Stylus Central</a>, and they only have expensive ones as well. I even checked <a href="https://www.audiovoxonline.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/Audiovox_Online_Store/macros/avox_proddisp.d2w/input?catNum=874326">the Audiovox web site</a>., but they only have products that are $8 for one. I need to get about a dozen, so that's a bit pricey.<br /><br />So here's the request: since pretty much anyplace outside Canada has better PDA accessory selection, can anyone out there tell me where I should look for good ol' cheap plastic styli that are compatible with the Toshiba e570/Audiovox Maestro? If you happen to find some, I'd be more than willing to pay you to buy and ship them to me. Respond in the thread if you happen to be able to help!

daS
01-25-2003, 09:25 AM
So here's the request: since pretty much anyplace outside Canada has better PDA accessory selection, can anyone out there tell me where I should look for good ol' cheap plastic styli that are compatible with the Toshiba e570/Audiovox Maestro? If you happen to find some, I'd be more than willing to pay you to buy and ship them to me. Respond in the thread if you happen to be able to help!
Too bad you posted this at midnight on a Friday - when my web/email server is down. I made a note to forward to you the contact information I have for the Product Manager at Toshiba. I don't know if he's still the right contact, but I assume that would be a good place to start. I looked at Incipio's web site: http://www.incipiotech.com, but I didn't see any listings for Toshiba styluses. (Of course, it's late, and I might have missed them :sleeping: )

Wojo
01-25-2003, 09:39 AM
I found some listed on Expansys.com and a couple other places but at 32.00 for a 3 pack. Still too expensive. I would go to any local computer store and purchase the cheapest stylus and case. The stylus doesn't have to go in the device :)

vincentsiaw
01-25-2003, 09:40 AM
hi jason, try to jelp you with the stylus thing, but can't get the cheap plastic one, but i found something that also cheap with ballpoint pen included, its around $5 a piece and low shipping cost to canada!

check it here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3002603998&category=3728

T-Will
01-25-2003, 09:44 AM
The Pilot Pentopia (for the Palm V or III, I can't remember which) fits in the E570 stylus silo. I just sold my E570 to my dad and he's using one of the Pentopia's, but I could send you the original stylus that it came with plus I have an extra Pentopia (slight cosmetic damage since I had to shave it down a bit in order to get it to fit in the silo). Let me know if you want those.

jizmo
01-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Does plastic cost per gram anywhere as much as in styluses? It's just crazy, 30-35 for three plastic sticks. :roll:

I misplaced my Toshibas stylus while on vacation. I hade spare ones at home, but none of them with me. Everything I planned to try on the screen seemed too sharp and I was afraid I'd damage the screen. Any replacement styluses are *really* hard to find (except for your finger).

But then I went to artist's store to purchase some drawing pencils and came upon the brushes. I tried some of them in the stylus hole (brush side up, naturally) and I found one that fit perfectly. I purchased it for $2 and cut out the extra stick part. I then had this beautiful wooden, varnished stylus for three weeks and I fell in love it so much, that I occasionaly use it even today.

/jizmo

Virulent
01-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Is the stylus for the e570 the same as the stylus for 310 and 740?

Virulent
01-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Hmm, actually, looking here I guess they are not the same.

http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=222,1,105&pCat=225

They have replacements for the e570/Audiovox Maestro, scroll down the page a bit, I believe they are third from the top. $11.99 for a pack of 4...still pricey in my eyes, but a little cheaper than what you're finding :)

Good Luck.

I can't wait till I lose the stylus to my Axim...I have a feeling it's going to be awhile before I'll be able to get a replacement from anyone but Dell :\

Jeff from MS
01-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Jason, I've got some in my office (not sure how many but quite a few). I'll send 'em to your home address on Monday?

Sorry, I didn't know you were lookin' for some! :D

Cheers everyone!

DrtyBlvd
01-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Cheapest in the UK would be $57CAD for 3 8O

Can import a Cross 'Morph' to the UK for less from the US. :roll:

adamz
01-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Just use old lollipop sticks.
Or get a knife and carve a few out of wood. :)

tw
01-25-2003, 03:12 PM
The Pilot Pentopia (for the Palm V or III, I can't remember which) fits in the E570 stylus silo. [...]

It's the one for the Palm III which fits. I'm using it too.

electricguy
01-25-2003, 03:22 PM
I 've got the original Handspring Visor metal stylus that I use in mine. You have to trim off a little of the top side to get it to slide down in the slot firmly. I used an exacto knife. Since Handspring stopped making these I found 3 packs on clearance here in the states for $2 for 3. Maybe you can look on ebay for those if you can't find Handspring stuff in Canada.

JMountford
01-25-2003, 04:04 PM
But Radioshak carries a maddening selection of stylus replacement packs.

daS
01-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Does plastic cost per gram anywhere as much as in styluses? It's just crazy, 30-35 for three plastic sticks. :roll:
No, the material costs are very close to zero. You are paying for the tooling, or in the case of companies like HP, et. al., the cost of maintaining another item in their product line. HP can't afford to sell anything for less than US$10. That's why they started the trend (with their first Windows CE Handheld PC) of selling the Styluses in packs of 3. They could have put 100 in the box and they wouldn't have cared. But then they would have too many people complaining that they don't want to pay $10 for 100, they want to pay 0.10 for one. Fewer people complain about 3 for $10. (It's a strange world. :crazyeyes: )

For the aftermarket vendors, the tooling to create a mold for making the $0.10 hunk of plastic cost thousands of dollars. You gotta sell a lot of styluses to get that back!
But then I went to artist's store to purchase some drawing pencils and came upon the brushes. I tried some of them in the stylus hole (brush side up, naturally) and I found one that fit perfectly. I purchased it for $2 and cut out the extra stick part. I then had this beautiful wooden, varnished stylus for three weeks and I fell in love it so much, that I occasionaly use it even today.
I like it too! But I'd be worried about scratching the screen. I guess if I put one of those overpriced screen protectors on I'd be okay. :wink:

Kati Compton
01-25-2003, 05:01 PM
You may want to check with them to make sure it fits (and the return policy if it doesn't), but StylusCentral has a 3 pack of "universal" stylii (http://www.styluscentral.com/felunstyl3pa.html) for $10 US. They ship to Canada, looks like for $6 US.

OTHHC
01-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Not sure I should offer anything after your slant at Canadian suppliers :( - and I know my efforts previously didn't find the specific Toshiba part you were looking for...

However, if an all-in-one stylus-pen-pencil-highlighter is of interest - I could do a dozen of these for a very good price as we are somewhat overstocked on these for the volume that we actually sell.

Let me know if you are interested and exactly how many you need and I'll email you a price that should fit your budget...
http://www.handheldcanada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=MS0010&Category_Code=ST

I know you must have been referring to the Big Box guys with that Canadian comment :lol:

jimH
01-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Jason,

While searching for the "perfect" stylus for my Genio 550G I purchased a pack of plastic styli from Stylus Central that is supposed to fit the 570 and Palm 3 and 4. I believe they cost $3.50 for a pack of 3. You might want to call Stylus Central to see if they still carry them. Also, I am willing to donate the three I have for your cause. Please email me an address and I'll have them sent to you on Monday.

Jim

GadgetMan
01-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Jason,

Why not order from Toshiba Canada at:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=2&product=453

Three styli pack for $19.99 CAN.

Cheers,

felixdd
01-25-2003, 06:04 PM
/jizmo

Yeah...but you can always whittle them (sp?) from popsicle sticks! :lol:

Kind of an off topic reply -- but I notice Jason imply that he lives in Canada. Does anyone know where in Canada this is? (Because I live in Canada as well -- I just think it's cool that's all).

jimH
01-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Jason,

Here is the link to the Stylus Central replacement styli for the 570 and Palm 3/4, http://www.styluscentral.com/palrepstyl3p.html.

Good luck.

Jim

dh
01-25-2003, 09:08 PM
I still think the e570 is the most attractive PPC that has been made.

The newer Tosh's just don't compare in the looks department. It would be nice if this rumoured e750 could go back to the e570 styling rather than just the boring oblong approach Tosh seems to like now.

Dave Beauvais
01-25-2003, 11:14 PM
If the styli don't have to actually fit into the stylus slot, you could just order a few three-packs of these cheap "Stick Styli (http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=SS3PK)" from PDA Panache. A three pack is US$2.29 and shipping is US$5.50. If nothing else, the users could use these while you track down a source of OEM styli for the e570s.

--Dave

tw
01-26-2003, 12:19 AM
I still think the e570 is the most attractive PPC that has been made.

The newer Tosh's just don't compare in the looks department. It would be nice if this rumoured e750 could go back to the e570 styling rather than just the boring oblong approach Tosh seems to like now.

I like the e570 too. After all I still use one.

But I prefer the looks of the newer e550G/GS/GX with their big 4" displays over the e570. I hope the "e750" (if it is for real) looks like the e550G just with transflective screen, much bigger battery and built-in WLAN.

Seraph1024
01-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Jason,

I got a few of them lying around. I think I got 3 if not 5 or so. Pay for posting from Chicago to your place and you get them free.

Sound good?

contact me @
[email protected]

Lwin

acronym
01-26-2003, 01:37 AM
I was surprised that they shipped 2 extra stylii(?) with the maestro.
believe it or not, I just found the package

let me know where to send 'em

Seraph1024
01-26-2003, 01:38 AM
[quote=dh]

But I prefer the looks of the newer e550G/GS/GX with their bug 4" displays over the e570. I hope the "e750" (if it is for real) looks like the e550G just with transflective screen, much bigger battery and built-in WLAN.

I had the 550g for a while. Although the screen is big, I had 3 units that I returned becuase they had dust under the screen. We know why there are there too. Toshiba did not seal the units LCDs nicely. I am currently using the v35now. I love the screen but the size is not as great as 1910. I may do the 1910 switch tomorrow.

L

Willmonwah
01-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Call this number 1800-229-1235 Opt. #2 and Opt. #2 again. Part # SP-1032. There is a minimum order of $10 so that's why I ordered three.
Got my SP-1032B (from california/not main warehouse) Stylus today and I love it! The same metal one that's also a pen that's been mentioned before but for only $3.58. I got three of them for $14.50 including shipping! Why don't they just ship the Maestro with these? Anyway, thanks JK27 for the initial heads up.

From an old brighthand thread... don't know if it's still available from US Audiovox parts.

[Will]

Jason Dunn
01-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Not sure I should offer anything after your slant at Canadian suppliers :( - and I know my efforts previously didn't find the specific Toshiba part you were looking for...

Sorry Owen, that wasn't what I meant - it was more a slight at Toshiba for pulling the product so completely from the Canadian market, making it impossible you to get it. And it was also a slight at brick and mortar stores here in Calgary - very little Pocket PC selection, especially for accessories.