View Full Version : Question about PCMCIA sleeve

dacs29
01-25-2003, 04:45 AM
I have a quick question about the PCMCIA sleeve which I can't seem to find an answer to.

My question is, does the power adapter connector at the bottom of the sleeve also power the iPAQ when it's hooked up? What I mean with this is if I have a iPAQ mounted in the car with a external GPS hooked up to the serial port of the iPAQ and I hook a cigarette plug charger to the PCMCIA power plug, will the iPAQ be powered through the sleeve?

David

Chris Hendriks
01-25-2003, 05:40 AM
what iPAQ do you have? Did you get the Y power adapter so that you can charge your iPAQ and PCMCIA Jacket at the same time?

Brad Adrian
01-25-2003, 07:13 AM
The short answer is "yes." Attaching the charger to the sleeve will power the device.

dacs29
01-25-2003, 07:42 AM
what iPAQ do you have? Did you get the Y power adapter so that you can charge your iPAQ and PCMCIA Jacket at the same time?

Well, I haven't bought a PCMCIA sleeve yet. I'm planning on getting one from Ebay though and most of those seem to come with Y adapters.

David

Pony99CA
01-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Did you get the Y power adapter so that you can charge your iPAQ and PCMCIA Jacket at the same time?
What is this Y adapter? I have the Dual PC Card sleeve and it didn't come with any power adapter. When you dock the iPAQ in the cradle, both the iPAQ and sleeve batteries charge, so I don't see why you'd need a Y adapter.

If you mean the 3800 adapter, these sleeves support the old-style iPAQ power cables; you don't need the 3800 adapter to hook the power cable into the sleeve.

My sleeve did come with a CF-to-PC Card adapter so I can use CF cards, and that was the only adapter I got.

Steve

dhettel
01-25-2003, 03:57 PM

Well, I haven't bought a PCMCIA sleeve yet. I'm planning on getting one from Ebay though and most of those seem to come with Y adapters.

David

Just be aware that their are two version of the PCMCIA sleeve, one with a built in battery (eg it can not be remove) which will do what you want. And the new version with a replacable battery the PCMCIA + Pack that does NOT have the charger connection. So you can not plug into it.

David

Janak Parekh
01-25-2003, 11:43 PM
What is this Y adapter? I have the Dual PC Card sleeve and it didn't come with any power adapter.
The single-slot original PC sleeve comes with a Y-adapter so that you can charge the PC sleeve even when it isn't connected to an (especially cradled) iPaq. It literally splits the AC adapter round plug into two.

--janak