View Full Version : computer died, useing Pocketpc to get help

DavidRoss
01-25-2003, 01:14 AM
Ok, so i know this is probubly not the best place to ask this, but since my computer is dead, and i have to use my pocket pc to try and find help, i thought it might be ok to ask here.

the problem:
Im useing the computer to listen to an MP3 and everything freezes. So i turn off the computer (buy holding down the power button for 5 sec) and when i turn it back on... Nothing. Its like the computer is not even on. It sounds like its on.. The hard drive engages, the cd-rom spins. But the screen is black. And it says "out of range" the same thing it says if the computer is not on.

I have taken everything apart. And cleand the dust off. And put it back together. But nothing. Its almost like a surge blew out the motherboard. But i dont see how that would be, and if it was, how would i know?

i was thinking maybe its some virus that kills the bios. I have a gigabyte MoBo and it has a backup bios. But i dont know how to activate it, if nothing even comes up on screen.

Iv called computer shops in town, half wont even look at it becouse i built it myself. The other half want to charge me $40 to look at it.

So im here looking for help.

Do i need a new motherboard? I have tried a difrent Graphics card, but not a help. Or do you think its a virus?

Thank you for you help.

Kati Compton
01-25-2003, 01:35 AM
Dumb question: Have you checked the montior cable to make sure it's plugged in? Made sure the video card is seated?

Can you try hooking up a different monitor to it?

Another thing to try (to see if it's a video card / monitor problem but the rest of the computer is fine) is to turn it on, give it time to boot up, then use the keyboard to do something that should have a noticeable result even without visuals (reset, turn it off, etc).

Does the computer sound exactly like it did when it was normal?

Did you notice a burning smell?

DavidRoss
01-25-2003, 01:53 AM
When i let the computer "boot up" and then, press the power button once, nothing happens. Meaning that windows did not boot, if it did the shutdown sequence would start. So i dont think anything happens when i turn on the computer. Thats why i think its a problem with the motherboard.

And no smells :)

spursdude
01-25-2003, 02:01 AM
Have you tried booting from CD-ROM, i.e. turning it on with the Windows CD in the drive? That may help...

(btw - shouldn't this be in the off-topic forum? it's not about a PPC...but whatever, no harm being in the Just Chatting forum)

Thefo
01-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Have you removed and reseated the video card ? Do you have an extra video card you could install to trouble shoot ? if not can you borrow one from a friend. Try this...power down your system and strip out all cards except for the video card...if the system boots ok then keep adding cards till you hopefully find the culprit. I would also suggest that you reseat the processsor and the ram (just be careful about static electricity when doing this, touch ground before handling ram or processor)

brntcrsp
01-25-2003, 02:10 AM
do you get the POST beeps (the beeps when you turn on the computer)?

DavidRoss
01-25-2003, 02:11 AM
i have tryed booting with the cd...
but no change... no matter what i do it does not seem to do anything. it just turns on... the harddrive light blinks (the little green light on the actual drive.) the cd spins... and then it just sites there. with the screen saying "out of range)

DavidRoss
01-25-2003, 02:31 AM
no beeps, but i have never had beeps. (never figuerd out which pins on the modo the speaker went into)

how do i recet ram and prossesor? if you mean just to take them out? i did that. i took out everything, and then put it all back. i even took the little battery out of the mobo.

Janak Parekh
01-25-2003, 03:00 AM
I'd agree with Thefo. Strip it down to the bare minimums: video, memory, power. Take out every other peripheral card, unplug the hard drives, CDROM, floppy drives, etc. from the mainboard and see what happens.

If you still don't get display, you have a problem with either the monitor, the power supply, the mobo, the video card, or the memory. Of all these, the memory's probably least likely, but the others are fairly equally possible.

--janak

Steven Cedrone
01-25-2003, 03:05 AM
(btw - shouldn't this be in the off-topic forum? it's not about a PPC...but whatever, no harm being in the Just Chatting forum)

Well, he is using the Pocket PC to ask these questions... :wink:

Thread moved to "Off-Topic" forum...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

NeverEnoughMan
01-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Are you running Window 2000 or XP? If your motherboard has this ability, trying resetting the CMOS and then booting your machine. Otherwise you may have to flash your bios.

I had the same problem begin about 3 weeks ago with my XP machine. I thought it was a bad power supply and had it replaced.

Turns out a new feature introduced with Windows 2K was the cause of the problem. It is called ACPI and my motherboard's BIOS was not compatible.

If you are running 2K/XP and you can boot your machine after you reset the CMOS, go immediately to the event viewer (before the machine locks again) and look at your system logs. If you have any errors that reference ACPI, I can fill you in on the fix.

So far I have resolved this problem for 4 friends this month. NeverEnoughWeirdMan.

DavidRoss
01-25-2003, 02:13 PM
i do have win xp!

how do i reset the cmos? this sounds like it might work

NeverEnoughMan
01-25-2003, 04:39 PM
What is the make and model of your motherboard? I will see if I can find the manual online.

Kati Compton
01-25-2003, 05:05 PM
If you still don't get display, you have a problem with either the monitor, the power supply, the mobo, the video card, or the memory. Of all these, the memory's probably least likely, but the others are fairly equally possible.

I've had it be the memory, so don't discount that *too* quickly...

But then again, I have that special electromagnetic field that disrupts every computer I touch....

Janak Parekh
01-25-2003, 11:11 PM
I've had it be the memory, so don't discount that *too* quickly...
True, but in general I've found memory tends to fail very early, or tends to have a long life. But I tend not to magnetize things. ;)

--janak

DavidRoss
01-26-2003, 02:24 AM
i have a gigabyte ga-7vtx

thank you for looking that up for me

Steven Cedrone
01-26-2003, 03:12 AM
i have a gigabyte ga-7vtx

thank you for looking that up for me

To clear the CMOS:

Near the battery (and next to the main and backup bios), there is a jumper called clr_cmos(or clr cmos).
pins 2-3 have a jumper on them.
change the jumper to pins 1-2
That should do it...
Make sure you change it back to 2-3 again!

Steve

NeverEnoughMan
01-26-2003, 03:55 AM
Most likely clearing the CMOS did not allow your system to reboot. I reviewed the specs for your BIOS. It is ACPI compliant.

If you were able to boot up your machine, remember to check the event viewer for system errors. This may be a clue, but I may not be able to help you. NeverEnoughSorryMan...

DavidRoss
01-26-2003, 04:00 AM
it worked!!!

but... lol, now its saying... '
searching for boot record.

is there a way to buypass this?

DavidRoss
01-26-2003, 04:50 AM
i did not have the hard drive plugged in.

but now im even more confused.

wiindows boots up.. everythings fine. so i load windows. then i shut it off to put in the network cable and my printer and stuff. then i turn the computer back on... it loads into xp... the freezes.. and then the monitor shuts off again... and im back to square one. only this time... resetting the c-mos does not seem to work!

NeverEnoughMan
01-26-2003, 05:02 AM
Hmmm...the problem sounds like the same problem I experienced. The only thing that does not make sense is that your motherboard is ACPI compliant.

Let's assume for a second that your problem is similiar to mine. The way I fixed my machine was to upgrade the BIOS. Matter of fact, Microsoft recommended this as the fix to the system error message appearing in event viewer.

You would have to flash the BIOS which could be dangerous if you do not do it correctly.

If you have access to MSN messenger on another machine send me a private message with your username. I will try to help you figure out the problem.

DavidRoss
01-26-2003, 05:30 AM
ill borow a computer tommorow and chat with you

thanks

Roosterman
01-26-2003, 06:33 AM
One more thought, have you recently added any software/drivers? Some games games can really mess with your system or a driver can cause havoc. Windows update had a new driver for my sound and it caused a freeze up after install. Did a system restore to pre driver install and all was fine. Also, have you run a check disk? This may help too. Good luck.

DavidRoss
01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
hello again... i want to thank everyone for there help so far.

it would seem that windows xp is doing someing with the bios. and clearing the c-mos resets everything, and windows will start again... only to mess up the bios again. and require another C-mos clear.

the problem is now.. i cant seem to clear the c-mos anymore. (i was able to do it twice) i dont know if im just not doing it right or what.

so can i ask one of you kind people to look at the online manual and copy and past the EXACT instructions (i cant view pdf files on my ipaq, or else i would do it.) i have the giga-byte GA-7vtx-p , you should be able to find it at www.giga-byte.com. i have seen online that people have had trouble with the c-mos on my board before, and there is someing about the battery.

thank you all much.

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Here, now you see what I do :wink:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/cmos.jpg

And that is the only thing in the manual about it...

Good luck!!!

Steve

DavidRoss
01-28-2003, 08:43 PM
my motherboard does not have jumpers... there is a little box of 5 switches... it is labeld clr_cmos, however the "defualt" is to have non of them "on"

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2003, 09:17 PM
my motherboard does not have jumpers... there is a little box of 5 switches... it is labeld clr_cmos, however the "defualt" is to have non of them "on"

Don't know what to tell you, that's the PDF for the MB you have (according to their website). Might be time to try to call them?

Steve

DavidRoss
01-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Im going to try and find there number.... actualy i am useing a computer now, i borrowed one....

i looked at the pdf... and what the problem was is that on the mother board there is a mistype.... and they labled the wrong thing, Clr_Bios.... but i found the real clr_bios, and did it, and it worked... but then after about 5 min, it stoped working again... and when i go to clear the bios again it does not seem to work. im not sure what is going on.