View Full Version : ipaq 5450 crashed with wireless

chuwi
01-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi,

This is the second time my ipaq 5450 crashed when turn on wifi.

I've no idea what i'm doing. The last time, i've wireless turn on, and i change one of my wireless profiles, when it was activated it was the begining of my problem. Since that i can connect with my access point, i try to soft-reset, turn off and turn on the wireless, but when i try to scan access point, nothing ocurrs.

as i said, this the second time.

somebody knows? it's a recognized bug from hp/compaq?

thank

chuwi
01-24-2003, 08:25 PM
sorry for my poor english :roll:

orcas
01-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi. i have my ipaq for 2 days and i have run over the wireless problem at least half a duzen times...after searching the web, i feel good: i'm not alone, there's lot of complaints about a "memory leak" in the wifi/bluetooth drivers...i have a temporary solution that have worked for me all the times: turn off ipaq, remove baterry, wait 5 to 10 seconds, reinsert battery, turn on ipaq and reset. then re-enable wifi and it works as a charm...other than that, the only way i've found is to full backup, full reset, full restore...works...

chuwi
01-25-2003, 10:33 AM
mmmmmmmm.....

i think my error and yours isn't the same.

The error you comment ocurrs when turn on wifi or bluetooth, isn't? When turned on an error message appears: "There's no enough memory bla bla bla bla....".... with a soft-reset the problem is solved.

am i ok?

dhettel
01-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi,

This is the second time my ipaq 5450 crashed when turn on wifi.

I've no idea what i'm doing. The last time, i've wireless turn on, and i change one of my wireless profiles, when it was activated it was the begining of my problem. Since that i can connect with my access point, i try to soft-reset, turn off and turn on the wireless, but when i try to scan access point, nothing ocurrs.

as i said, this the second time.

somebody knows? it's a recognized bug from hp/compaq?

thank

I'm not sure I understand your problem. But the idea with the profiles, is by switching them you change the way the wireless works. So you should always create a new profile and not change the default profile. The default profile is design to pick up any Access Point that wants to be found. If you change it, then you are telling your 5450 to only look at Access Points that have this chartist. You can think of the profile as a filter, that filters out Access Points that you do not whish to connect to.

So by changing the default profile, I am not supprise that you are seeing less or no access points. If this is the problem we would not call it a crash, a crash would be if your 5455 stop working all together. If by pushing the on/off button it would no longer turn off.

David

chuwi
01-25-2003, 05:41 PM
maybe it's the error.... but, when I turn on the wireless radio, the orange light doesn't turned on, but in the wireless application I see the radio is ON :-(

that_kid
01-25-2003, 05:51 PM
maybe it's the error.... but, when I turn on the wireless radio, the orange light doesn't turned on, but in the wireless application I see the radio is ON :-(
I had that happen to me yesterday as well. I had to turn the Ipaq off, remover the battery for about 5 seconds, then put the battery back and turn the wifi on. That worked, I hope HP comes out with a fix for this soon. With my 3790 I leave BT on all the time cause it doesn't suck the battery dead like wifi, but on my 5450 I like to turn wifi off if i'm out and there's no wifi available.

Stone
02-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Orcas,

Thanks d00d! I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix this issue! Sure enough, I took off the battery for 5 seconds and then put it back on. Then did a soft-reset and now I'm wireless again! :D

MultiMatt
02-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Please HP, get that ROM update out!
I have not had to go to the extent of removing the battery, but soft-resets are a regular occurrance when using the Wi-Fi...

Otherwise, I absolutely love the device! Just need that update!!!!

Matt

prototype
02-28-2003, 09:29 PM
This happens to me on a regular basis as I switch between 2 or 3 wireless networks. You get an error when switching profiles, no LED's even light up. One of the other posts was correct ... you have to pull the battery off the 5450 for a few seconds and then fire it back up. No amount of soft resetting or process tweaking will get it work ... the battery yank was the ONLY thing that worked.

-Drew

FredMurphy
03-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Ah - it's not just mine then! Came across the same problem (and battery-removal solution) before I got a chance to check here.

The today screen icon seems to think the WLAN is off when it's on and vice versa. The WLAN status screen cycles round Scanning / Authenticating / Joining / (My ESSID) or even Scanning / WLAN is off.

Is there somewhere we can co-ordinate our complaints to HP and get them to take this matter seriously? :(

Also, does anyone know how to get the WLAN tray icon at the bottom of the "Today" screen to appear after soft reset like the BT one does? :? I can start it by creating a shortcut to "iPAQ WLAN.exe" in Windows/StartUp but can't minimise it. [UPDATE: Sorry - just found this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9000). :oops: ]