View Full Version : Anyone play Pocket NES or YAME?

QYV
01-24-2003, 05:22 AM
I was curious whether or not you can get used to the "mushiness" of the Dpad. How's Super Mario Bros. or other action-y games?

Alucard
01-24-2003, 07:37 AM
I've been playing kirby's adventure with decent success. the dpad is mushy, but it's not too bad once you get used to it.

I had some issues pressing the wrong directions at first (usually up instead of right) -- I can't really play contra on the pad, but kirby works pretty nicely. :)

dean_shan
01-24-2003, 07:55 AM
I use both of those programs and I think they work great. the D-Pad on my Toshiba is not nearly as good as a gameboy's but they games are still playable.

guinness
01-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Yame runs fine on my Axim, I've the .exe in the main memory and the rom images are on the SD card. Sound doesn't stutter like Pocket NES and it beats the GB Advance anyday because it has a backlight (on the GBA you could install a backlight yourself, but why didn't Nintendo include one in the first place?). The old classics never die though, especially SMB 1 and Zelda.

Catfish2939
01-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info

spursdude
01-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Where would one get some rom files for YAME. I would love to play Zelda again on my axim."when it arrives"

I have a different emulater on my home computer. Would Yame play these as well? They are rom's for the original NES and a few for SNES.

Didn't play the snes much, but the nes, now that a different story. Loved it.

Given that ROMs are illegal unless you own the actual cartridge, nobody's going to give you links here. (meaning don't post them, either...)

Search around, YAME plays NES and GB ROMS. Google should do the trick. And yes, your NES ROMs should play fine on YAME.

(prepare for reprimand from Rirath :D )

TheBacklash
01-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Question:
I have Yame now. But the menus have []'s instead of letters, with only a few words in the drop down menu's.

Is this normal?

Version .38gARM Is all that I can find, 99% of the links I can find are dead....

takotchi
01-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Yeah, that's normal... you have a non-Japanese PPC OS so it can't display the kana/kanji, therefore, it puts ugly boxes instead... tap the [][][]S, then Language, then English. Now... it's in English.

One other setting... under Details, then the Sound tab, put the buffer size lower (mine is 5), otherwise, at least for me, I get this weird "delay" in the sound, for example, hit a button, menu comes up, then a second later the "beep". Like an old godzilla movie or something.

Oh, and Nintendo does make a backlit GBA now called the GBA SP. Backlit, folding, rechargeable lithium ion battery; Valentine's Day in Japan, end of March for the US. The best way to play GBA games, since the PocketPC can't emulate them very well. Too bad there isn't a portable SNES or a good SNES emulator. x_x

spursdude
01-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Question:
I have Yame now. But the menus have []'s instead of letters, with only a few words in the drop down menu's.

Is this normal?

Version .38gARM Is all that I can find, 99% of the links I can find are dead....

By default, YAME is in Japanese or some other language which PPC can't read. In one of the drop-down menu's, there should be an option to change to English. You'll have to feel your way around blindly, but there will be an option for "English." (and it says English in English)

I think .38g is the latest version.

TheNewSteve
01-28-2003, 06:52 AM
I use YAME a lot. Good program. Sound is slightly delayed, but mine is actually installed on my SD card, I think I might try moving it.

-Steve

lilyellofello
02-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Can anyone give me the site for Yame or any other good emulators I've been trying to find it and its bugging me. Thanks

Rirath
02-17-2003, 02:55 AM
YAME is most likely dead. The website is long gone.
But, if you search pocketgamer.org's forum or this forum you will find a working link to the file.
Here's an old link. http://www.pocketgamer.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=861#post861

Pocket Nester is here: http://jetech.org/
You can easily find stuff like this by searching pocketgamer.org by typing "www.pocketgamer.org/pocket nester" or "www.pocketgamer.org/yame" for example. Can't get much easier than that.

ozen
02-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Where can I get a game like super mario brothers for my axim cuz that was a killer game.?

dean_shan
02-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Where can I get a game like super mario brothers for my axim cuz that was a killer game.?

You'll have to search around. Remember you can only have the ROM for 24 hours if you do not own the real game. If you own the game you can keep the ROM as long as you want.

marchaa
02-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Rirath, Thanks for the great link. I just downloaded Nester. It beats the everything else hands down. I played a level of Super Mario Bro. It was perfect. Thanks again. I highly recomend Nester.

robert_biggs
02-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I downloaded Pocket Nester and didn't really like it much. Many of my favorite games like Punch Out and FF1 had horrible graphic mishaps. The sound is great, but Yame still has better sound IMO.

I still use PockeNES, mostly for Punch Out, because it has the least graphical errors than any other emulator and I can pretend I'm not gaming when in a meeting using my stylus on the on-screen controller (I wish YAME had this :( )

I would use YAME more except that it won't allow loading a saved position from outside of the program. I like with PockeNES being able to save as many positions in a game as I want to and syncing the files with my computer so I won't lose them. Nester allows this, but it's saved games are in a slightly different format than PockeNES, causing graphical issues.

If PockeNES had better sound it would be my only NES emulator.

Rirath
02-17-2003, 08:39 PM
It's already known punch out doesn't work. It'll be fixed. It has always been a game with special issues. Pocket Nester to PokeNES is in two completely different classes. Sound, speed, visuals, menus, you name it. And if you listen real closely at Pocket Nester and Yame, you'll see that Yame has a 1/2 second delay that PN doesn't.