View Full Version : WTB: iPaq 3635/3630 But have some questions, pls help!

PPCdev
01-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Okay, Ive had my Palm for almost 2 months now... Actually, started with a IIIxe and then moved up to an M130. At any rate, Ive gotten addicted to having my little device with me, but the longer I have it, the more disappointed I am with it.

Please, dont get me wrong, Im not hammering Palm or the M130, this is strictly a personal point of view, milage will vary, to each there own, etc.. etc.. Ive been pleased with the M130, and the 4.1 OS is a big improvment over the 3.5.3, however....

I am a software developer, and just discovered (Duh!) the Embedded tools are free from MS. Humm... Now, Im not spending a minimum of $150 to get started deving on a Palm!

Not only that, but Im an experienced Win32 developer already, and Im now wanting to write apps that work with a desktop, a DB or anything else...

I really dont care if it plays MP3's and AVI's of 'Full Metal Jacket', but I do want to use it as a digital photo wallet, JPEG format mainly.

Okay, a few questions that I need help with, cause as you know the fine folks behind the counter at Staple$ and BustBuy dont know diddly about these things.. :-)

1) Palm uses VFS, Virtual File System. Its like a major disappointment. Complex to manage, files scattered here to there, some apps wont run off an SD card, some data cant be used off an SD card, etc.. etc.. etc..
(Q) Does the PPC2002 OS have such silly temperment, or is it similar to typical Windows file system?

2) Number 1 brings us to number 2: (Q) If I plug an expansion card into my PPC, does it thus expand the "total" memory, or just make another "memory bank"? And witchever be the answer, is there any problems installing applications on the card and storing data to be I/O later?

3) The screen: Ive read the 36XX series is 12 bit, and Id guess a 16 bit JPEG wont look like it does on my puter... but how *does* it look?!?! Im also looking at the HP 1910 for $299, but Im trying to slide into this as cheap as possible, a $200 buy from eBay is what Im aiming at right now. (Sorry folks, I gotta hawk a few items before I can buy... Thank God for eBay!)

4) Can you sum up some of the features of the 3635/3630 models, and tell me why would I need to spend the extra money to get a "newer" model before I buy? I dont want to get an Atari 2600 when I should have gotten a PS2! (Not looking for cutting edge, mind you Im talking $200 limit to simply get started... Upgrades when some funds let it happen)

If you can be of any help, I would be thankful!
Andrew

spursdude
01-24-2003, 06:16 AM
1) Palm uses VFS, Virtual File System. Its like a major disappointment. Complex to manage, files scattered here to there, some apps wont run off an SD card, some data cant be used off an SD card, etc.. etc.. etc..
(Q) Does the PPC2002 OS have such silly temperment, or is it similar to typical Windows file system?

It's VERY similar (practically identical) to a Windows file system. You open up "File Explorer" and you have My Device - it contains My Documents, Windows, Storage Card, and Program Files. You honestly can't get much better than this (unless you start doing network browsing :D )

(Q) If I plug an expansion card into my PPC, does it thus expand the "total" memory, or just make another "memory bank"? And witchever be the answer, is there any problems installing applications on the card and storing data to be I/O later?

Basically, if you head to the settings control panel, under Memory, there are two separate tabs to the memory applet. One tab is your internal memory - divided between storage and RAM for running programs. The other tab will be for your storage card (assuming you have one). This is just for storage - it's like inserting a zip disk into your computer.

And most applications will install on a memory card. Some rarities won't install properly on a storage card, and that's when you need to install it to RAM.

The screen: Ive read the 36XX series is 12 bit, and Id guess a 16 bit JPEG wont look like it does on my puter... but how *does* it look?!?! Im also looking at the HP 1910 for $299, but Im trying to slide into this as cheap as possible, a $200 buy from eBay is what Im aiming at right now. (Sorry folks, I gotta hawk a few items before I can buy... Thank God for eBay!)

I don't know exactly how good the 36xx screen is. I do know, however, that thinking it will be anywhere as good as the 1910 not a correct thought. The 1910 has one of the best screens on the market for a PPC. My guess is that your jpegs won't look so good on the 36xx, although I can't say for sure.

Can you sum up some of the features of the 3635/3630 models, and tell me why would I need to spend the extra money to get a "newer" model before I buy? I dont want to get an Atari 2600 when I should have gotten a PS2! (Not looking for cutting edge, mind you Im talking $200 limit to simply get started... Upgrades when some funds let it happen)

Ok - the 36xx series comes natively with the PPC2000 OS (if I'm correct...). The most recent OS is PPC2002. Simply put, you want it. You can upgfrade, if the device hasn't been already. The 36xx will have some problems with upgrades because of lack of ROM. And also, to put it somewhat bluntly, the 36xx is, sadly enough, getting outdated.

For $100 more, you can definitely get a device with good specs, great screen, awesome design, and future upgradeability (that is, the 1910). If you're going to be doing software development and photo viewing, I would highly recommend your getting the 1910 over the 36xx.

Some other options for you may be the Dell Axims. The lesser Axim model is still quite powerful at 300mhz, has a good screen, and is priced at $199. The 400mhz Axim is even better, at $299.

If you can churn out the extra money, I would highly recommend getting the iPaq 1910 or the Axim 400mhz.

Have fun!