View Full Version : finally got my pocket pc phone

danmanmayer
01-23-2003, 05:52 PM
So here is the thing i am wondering. Is there any company out there that is working on a way to get Wifi to the pocket pc phone (XDA) Or is this the thing i will have to wait for in the next phone device i get... which will be probably in a year and 1/2 or 2.

smittyofdhs
01-23-2003, 05:55 PM
So here is the thing i am wondering. Is there any company out there that is working on a way to get Wifi to the pocket pc phone (XDA) Or is this the thing i will have to wait for in the next phone device i get... which will be probably in a year and 1/2 or 2.

there's no way to add WiFi to the current HTC devices. There is no expansion capability and the SD slot is not SDIO. Looks like you'll have to wait.... :(

danmanmayer
01-23-2003, 08:38 PM
but i was thinking perhaps someone will hack something up. For where the cradle docs. Or perhaps hack the radio so it could send and recieve the wavelengths also. Wouldn't it be possible to make a 80211 that worked through the cradles connection much like keyboards and other things work? I mean they have GPS that connect to the bottom of IPAQs and such why not a 80211 attachment?

smittyofdhs
01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
that's right!.... there's even a GPS for these HTC devices called Pharos. I forgot about those. that means the connector on the bottom could be used for attachments without any mods....

Birdman
01-24-2003, 06:32 PM
If you are able to get an "all you can eat" data plan (for example, Fido in Canada has $50 a month for all the data you can handle), is there any fundamental difference between having WiFi access or just using GPRS (on an all you can surf plan) to access the same functionality whenver you need it?

Russ
01-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Well it might just be possible...
The XDA has a serial connection OK. Plenty of Serial to Ethernet Convertors - Portsmith make one. I know this only give you wired Ethernet - but bear with me. Serveral other companies make wired Ethernet to WiFi connection boxes. OK, you are going to have a few boxes and maybe some problems with power etc. But I see no reason why this would not work...just not very portable! It may even be possible that a company makes a serial to WiFi box, perhaps even battery powered. I havn't got time to do a trawl at the moment, but I will in a few days when I get back to base.

Russ
Oh for a SDIO slot and a WiFi SD card...