View Full Version : New ROM for iPAQ 3900 series

Ed Hansberry
01-23-2003, 04:30 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices</a><br /><br />There is an updated ROM for iPAQ 3900 devices. There are two separate images, one for non-bluetooth and one for bluetooth models, so pick the model in the dropdown. <br /><br />Fixes & enhancements include:<br /><br />• Backlight turned off after screen toggle<br />• 'Expansion Pack'title freezing on screen after soft reset<br />• Early termination of NOTES recording<br />• Popping noises at end of wav file playback<br />• Screen refresh after soft reset while in a jacket<br />• Bust'em audio fix<br />• Distorted audio when bass is increased<br />• MS (EUU3) End User Update 3<br />• SDIO driver updates<br />• SD driver updates<br />• IPSM driver updates<br />• iPAQ Backup version change<br />• iTASK updates<br /><br />This involves a hard reset, so make sure you sync a final time to get everything on your PC.

Chris Spera
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
I just installed this ROM Update to my 3955, and everything worked like it was supposed to. Placing the device into USB Update mode was easy, and the upgrade completed inside of 15 minutes (with ROM backup).

rommels
01-23-2003, 09:25 PM
I guess I have a homework tonight. :D

Ed Hansberry
01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
I HATE doing these ROM updates because Audible always gets screwed up and it'll take a dozen emails and voice mails to get my account fixed after the hard reset. :roll: I do look forward to putting the backlight fix on though. Annoys me to toggle the screen off and the backlight stays on for a minute or so.

freitasm
01-23-2003, 10:05 PM
:x

These things only happen while you can't do much... Yesterday a parcel arrived with a lens kit (telephoto, two closeups and a wide-angle) for my digital camera, but couldn't do much because I was at work.

Now, because of timezone, I see the ROM at 8am, when I have to leave to work, and can't do much until later tonight (a whole 9 hours away!)...

bostonnerd
01-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Has anyone done the upgrade and then succesfully restored from CF/SD card? I'm having a problem with A/CFLashman not being found. If I delete it out of the Startup folder, storage cards are not recognized.

WyattEarp
01-23-2003, 10:58 PM
I'm downloading it right now, but according to the site http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/17002.html the Permanent PIM feature has been removed. Read all of it first. PIM backup is now performed by iPAQ Backup.

I'm having a problem with A/CFLashman not being found.

A/CFlashman are the startup .lnks for the Permanent PIM after a softrest. So the update should not need these anymore.

Ed Hansberry
01-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Has anyone done the upgrade and then succesfully restored from CF/SD card? I'm having a problem with A/CFLashman not being found. If I delete it out of the Startup folder, storage cards are not recognized.
Don't ever restore an older backup onto a fresh ROM. It won't work. Do another hard reset and rebuild your device manually. There were files changed, registry settings modified, etc. This is like restoring a Windows XP backup onto Windows XP SP1. Your PC likely won't boot.

tregnier
01-24-2003, 12:39 AM
I did the Rom 1.1 upgrade. Now, my iPaq 3955 doesn't see the SD card. Did I forget something? How do I install it? Whazzup?

Thanks in advance!

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 12:56 AM
I did the Rom 1.1 upgrade. Now, my iPaq 3955 doesn't see the SD card. Did I forget something? How do I install it? Whazzup?

Thanks in advance!

Did you do a hard reset at the end?

echo
01-24-2003, 01:42 AM
did anyone notice that this drastically fix the bass audio distortion? that's the thing thats most peeving me about the ipaq.

RavenSBNC
01-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Well theres no way I'm doing this if it requires a hard reset, its just not worth it. Especially since its impossible for me to reinstall most of my stuff untill I get my laptop back in 3 weeks.

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 02:40 AM
Well theres no way I'm doing this if it requires a hard reset, its just not worth it. Especially since its impossible for me to reinstall most of my stuff untill I get my laptop back in 3 weeks.
Defintely wait until your laptop is back.

And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If none of the fixes apply to you, you won't appreciate them or like the time spent reinstalling everything.

freitasm
01-24-2003, 03:06 AM
And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If none of the fixes apply to you, you won't appreciate them or like the time spent reinstalling everything.

I know it's not listed, but is the Bluetooth Manager / Security Manager updated with this new ROM?

Is the problem with H3970 hanging while discovering services and more than 9 services are offered by other devices fixed?

Questions, questions!

vincentsiaw
01-24-2003, 03:33 AM
do anybody knows if this update includes the infrared fix?

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Well, there is one way to find out. :wink: If not, just reinstall the RAM patch.

Stik
01-24-2003, 04:26 AM
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices

There is an updated ROM for iPAQ 3900 devices. There are two separate images, one for non-bluetooth and one for bluetooth models, so pick the model in the dropdown.

enhancements include:
• SDIO driver updates
• SD driver updates

Ed, I hope you don't mind me editing your initial quote, :oops: but I just wanted to comment on this particular facet. Socket has confirmed that with this ROM update for the iPAQ 3900 devices, HP included BSquare's SDIO Now! software. If that indeed is the case, there will be a number of periphial add ons that will become available to use with these units in the near future, including, amongst others, SanDisk and Socket WLAN SDIO cards that were recently demo'ed at CES.
http://www.bsquare.com/news/press/story.asp?PressID=315

that_kid
01-24-2003, 04:31 AM

I just beamed a contact to my old palm and it worked so I think it's in there. With the original rom I couldn't do that without the update.

WyattEarp
01-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Ed Hansberry wrote:

Don't ever restore an older backup onto a fresh ROM. It won't work. Do another hard reset and rebuild your device manually. There were files changed, registry settings modified, etc. This is like restoring a Windows XP backup onto Windows XP SP1. Your PC likely won't boot.

Although this is the case, what you should do so you don't lose the Storage Card folder or corrupt the system is this if you used iPAQ Backup and saved it to a CF or SD:

1. Go to iPAQ Backup > Restore
2. Load the Backup file.
3. Uncheck Other Databases, File System & Registry
4. Leave PIM Databases checked
5. Press Restore...

And only the PIM will be restored. No harm to the system is done and the Storage Card folder stays intact.

6. Then reinstall your programs.

Hope this helps... 8) Although I'm sure most of you did this already. Right :?: :

gateway
01-24-2003, 08:49 AM
after running the update now when I soft reboot my PPC
i get on the today screen

Cannot find cflashman and then aflashman

?? what does this mean, it pops up now every time i soft reset my PPC.

Also I cant get my SD card to be recgonized anymore.. ? wtf.. ?

freitasm
01-24-2003, 09:44 AM
I think you need a hard reset after installing the ROM update.

Spam
01-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Well.. i did the upgrade too (on my 3950) and guess what: aflashman and cflashman.exe missed and SD card not accessible!

I copied the flashman.exe files from the backup into the /windows folder and did a softreset -> not success!

I contacted HP Support to get this answer:

Dear HP Customer,

Thank you for contacting HP eServices.

This is with reference to your e-mail regarding the ‘Unrecognized SD card’ after performing the ROM update.

Please be informed that you have reached North America for support. In order to resolve this issue, we suggest that you remove the SD card from the slot if inserted and perform a soft reset on the unit. The steps to perform a soft reset are as follows:

· The unit should be kept ON.
· Insert the stylus into the unit reset switch at the bottom right hand of your Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC.
· Press the switch for 1 second.
· The device will automatically restart.

A soft reset does not make the iPAQ to lose data.

Now insert the SD card into the slot on the iPAQ. If the problem persists, we suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the SD card if it is a non-Compaq/HP product.

If the SD card is from Compaq/HP, we suggest that you use the card with another iPAQ to isolate the problem. If the issue persists, we request you to call our technical support at +41 01801-4222 or +41 01801-4223.

Please e-mail us if you need any further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Regards,

HP eServices

Well... it doens't seem that HP has well tested this ROM and there's a bug and they don't know about (or why do they try to tell me that it must be the SD card who fails?)...

I told them now that it isn't the SD card (tested on another iPAQ runing ROM version 1.00 without problem) and it MUST be a bug in the ROM Upgrade.

Til now no answer from HP.

I'd suggest to wait with the upgrade or at least take a backup before (don't we do that everytime 8) )

I'll keep you informed as soon as HP contacts me.

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Ed Hansberry wrote:

Don't ever restore an older backup onto a fresh ROM.

Although this is the case, what you should do so you don't lose the Storage Card folder or corrupt the system is this if you used iPAQ Backup and saved it to a CF or SD:

1. Go to iPAQ Backup > Restore
2. Load the Backup file.
3. Uncheck Other Databases, File System & Registry
4. Leave PIM Databases checked
5. Press Restore...

And only the PIM will be restored.
Excellent idea. I keep forgetting that the backup/restore utility in the 3900 series can do selective restores. I wouldn't do this as I just get all my PIM back when I create a new partnership, but I can see where this would be valuable to many. Thanks!

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 01:22 PM
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices

There is an updated ROM for iPAQ 3900 devices. There are two separate images, one for non-bluetooth and one for bluetooth models, so pick the model in the dropdown.

enhancements include:
• SDIO driver updates
• SD driver updates

Ed, I hope you don't mind me editing your initial quote,
That's not editing - that's selective quoting, and perfectly acceptable and preferrable to just repeating everything. And thanks for the info. I knew it had SDIO drivers, but I did't know they were bSquare's.

tregnier
01-24-2003, 01:37 PM
I got my SD card to work by taking out the SD card and repeating the update process. What doesn't work is my Wi-Fi. I can't get the software CD to update the PDA. I posted the issue on the wireless forum so Steve doesn't yell at me for posting on the wrong forums again. :oops:

freitasm
01-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Well.. i did the upgrade too (on my 3950) and guess what: aflashman and cflashman.exe missed and SD card not accessible!

I copied the flashman.exe files from the backup into the /windows folder and did a softreset -> not success!

I contacted HP Support to get this answer:

Well... it doens't seem that HP has well tested this ROM and there's a bug and they don't know about (or why do they try to tell me that it must be the SD card who fails?)...

I told them now that it isn't the SD card (tested on another iPAQ runing ROM version 1.00 without problem) and it MUST be a bug in the ROM Upgrade.

Til now no answer from HP.

I'd suggest to wait with the upgrade or at least take a backup before (don't we do that everytime 8) )

I'll keep you informed as soon as HP contacts me.

I've just finished my update. When I reset my device I saw the old stuff was still there: obviously it wans't a hard reset... Them I did a hard reset.

You have to press the calendar and iTask buttons at the same and reset the device. Do not release the reset or the buttons. The device will beep!

After beeping, it will show the start screen, where you configure the time options, calibrate the digitizer, and the OS will ERASE your RAM.

At this moment, you'll have an empty device - but it'll be in working condiitions and no problem with SD.

Before doing another sync, make sure you update the device name in Settings to be the same as before. On Activesync, delete the current partnership BUT DO NOT DELETE THE Pocket PC folder in your local computer. I can't stress this enough!

... On your next sync, create a partnership, select anything you want to sync, and check FILES as well. This will restore the files you had in My Documents, plus your PIM data from Outlook.

Then reinstall your software...

Come visit Geekzone ('http://www.geekzone.co.nz')...

Ed Hansberry
01-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Side note:

If you want the Pocket PC to have the *same* name as before, you will need to delete your old partnership, answer NO to deleting the files as Freitasm suggested (though if you answer YES, just get them out of your recycle bin). You may also have to delete the c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\PocketPCName folder. After deleting the partnership, the Activesync backup file will NOT be deleted (as a safety measure) but this will prevent the creation of an identically named partnership. Since you've done a ROM update, that AS backup file is worthless anyway.

Also, that folder may be in a different spot on your Windows system depending on if you have WinXP, 2K, NT4, ME, 98 and if it was a fresh install/update. Might look in C:\Windows (or \WinNT)\profiles.

Don't Panic!
01-24-2003, 11:33 PM
The update is gone. SP22963 is no longer on the ftp server. SP22964 which all links lead to now is the German Language version. WTF?

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Don't Panic!
01-24-2003, 11:46 PM
It's back.... They must have been updating the page. Now you can get the English or German version.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Ed Hansberry
01-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Rats. German only again. I wonder of it is a glitch in the web page or are they taking the English down?

Ed Hansberry
01-25-2003, 12:46 AM
It has been pulled. SP22963.EXE is not on their FTP Server. SP22964.exe, the German version, is there.

Caval
01-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Am i the only one who can see german rom update file only?

Thanks, :o
Martin

dcharles18
01-25-2003, 03:25 AM
It has been pulled. SP22963.EXE is not on their FTP Server. SP22964.exe, the German version, is there.

Any idea as to why?? When will the english version be back up??

hrvoje
01-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I have upgraded to ROM 2.10, and everything went fine (except the error for two apps missing). However, I cannot establish GPRS connection (I have Nokia 6310i). I've used GPRS connection via bluetooth normally before, but now with the same settings (i belive :)) ), i get message on my nokia "Creating GPRS conncetion", and error after that "subscribe to GPRS first". I've successfully created bond with nokia, and even try to use GPRS via my PC, which is working.
Do anyone have the same problem? It seems to me that HP moved upgrade from website because of errors...
Thanks in advance,
Hrvoje Sertic, M.Sc.

Unreal32
01-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Ack! What happened to the English version!?????

:2gunfire: :evil:

jlingo2000
01-26-2003, 11:36 AM
The English version has disappeared.
I have a question. if I skip this ROM updates and wait for the next updates, can I just install the latest one? Or I have to install this version of ROM update before going for the next one?

Thanks,

jlingo

TopDog
01-26-2003, 12:15 PM
I have a question. if I skip this ROM updates and wait for the next updates, can I just install the latest one? Or I have to install this version of ROM update before going for the next one?
Yes, you can skip it.

I've installed the 2.10 ROM and see no problems... My WLAN works fine, GPRS works fine, and all of my apps works fine after I've reinstalled them on my SD-card :-)

But you should never restore a complete backup after making a ROM-upgrade! I alwas see the ROM-upgrade as a good reason to clear my PPC and make it good again after putting to much beta-apps on it ;-)

carphead
01-27-2003, 01:42 PM
On the HP website (at the orginal ROM Address) it says...

"Please be informed that the English version of the ROM update for the H3900 series has be withdrawn from the website to include some more updates. It will be released in one or two weeks from now.
So, please keep monitoring our website for the same. "

How nice! 8O

Unreal32
01-29-2003, 12:35 AM
One or two weeks! That's like 3 months in dog years!!!

ppcsurfr
01-29-2003, 04:35 AM
Hmmm. That sounds like you have the Compaq people doing their old thing in HP.

I really hoped that HP's quality would have carried over to the Compaq group handling the Pocket PCs.

It seems that iPAQs that still carry the Compaq brand are still plagued with faulty updates... Having more updates isn't really a sign of good quality... it just means that it's haphazardly done.

ppcsurfr

scargill
02-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Hmmm. That sounds like you have the Compaq people doing their old thing in HP.

I really hoped that HP's quality would have carried over to the Compaq group handling the Pocket PCs.

It seems that iPAQs that still carry the Compaq brand are still plagued with faulty updates... Having more updates isn't really a sign of good quality... it just means that it's haphazardly done.

hmmm....update is back! And working on my IPAQ!

TopDog
02-02-2003, 12:24 AM
hmmm....update is back! And working on my IPAQ!
Is it still ROM version 2.10 ?

jlingo2000
02-02-2003, 06:40 AM
My SD became unreadable. it asked me to reformat the SDCard. After reformatting, I haven't noticed any problems yet.
It's still version 2.10

dannyoneill
02-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Got the latest 3950 rom installed v 1.10.10

All seems fine, seems to me people had probs if they done the update while there SD card was installed, took mine out to be safe and all ok.

Good to have a hard reset every now and then.

jlingo2000
02-04-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm having occassional freezes with the new ROM 2.10. It's very annoying. :( I just left my Ipaq for 4 hours and left with 30% battery left, with my Ipaq system froze. Unbelievable. :(

jlingo2000
02-05-2003, 01:39 PM
It freezes a lot in a day. And When the Ipaq is charging. It freezes even a lot more.

RickP in AZ
02-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Installing the second release of the v2.10 ROM update on my 3975 went fine but I too started getting system lockups. Starting the process of trying to figure out what was running I noticed that each lockup tended to occur with BLuetooth turned on. Great, I thought, just what I need... That is until I had a lockup with the BT radio turned off, no task manager running, no GPRS Monitor, or any of the other items I thought of.

On a hunch I went to Add/Remove Programs and discovered that the most recent item I installed was the Stowaway Keboard driver v1.6. I went to the driver and disabled it, and uninstalled it.

So far 12 hours without a system lockup when yesterday I was experiencing them every hour.

It appears that for me atleast the Stowaway driver may have been the cause. YMMV

Ed Hansberry
02-05-2003, 04:05 PM
So far 12 hours without a system lockup when yesterday I was experiencing them every hour.

It appears that for me atleast the Stowaway driver may have been the cause. YMMV
Well, I'll stick with 2.0 then. I've had the stowaway driver v1.6 on my iPAQs since it was released over a year ago. I'll live with the backlight issue when you toggle the screen off. I won't live without the Stowaway.

RickP in AZ
02-05-2003, 05:15 PM

Well, I'll stick with 2.0 then. I've had the stowaway driver v1.6 on my iPAQs since it was released over a year ago. I'll live with the backlight issue when you toggle the screen off. I won't live without the Stowaway.

Ed, I have not confirmed this yet but I believe that it is *not* the Stowaway software itself but having the "Hot Dock" option enabled. Here's why I think so...

From August to a week ago Monday I had the Stowaway driver installed and 50% of that time is was enabled, but "Hot Dock" was not enabled as I was never able to get the option working correctly before. Happy coexistence...

A little over a week ago I sent my 3975 in to have the Power Button fixed, upon receiving it back and rebuilding it (still under ROM v2.00) Bam! I started having system lockups. Not even considering the lockup issue I went and turned off the Hot Dock option in order to get everything back to my original configuration after the hard reset. I didn't notice but the lockups disappeared.

This past Monday I installed ROM v2.10 and it ran fine. Later I reinstalled the Stowaway driver and forgot about changing my options back to normal. Bam! system lockups.... While at the grocery store I was fiddling with different programs trying to figure out what was the cause. Going to Add/Remove Programs I discovered that the most recent thing I installed was the Stowaway driver. So I exited out, went to the driver and disabled it totally... 10 minutes w/o a lockup! So using the sledge hammer method I uninstalled the Software entirely and I am now at 15 hours w/o a lockup.

Not exactly the most scientific approach, and I may go back today and confirm my suspicions. (As this always seemed to happen upon "turning the iPAQ on" I think that it is a conflict of both the Stowaway driver and the Bluetooth software polling the status of the "serial port.")

So in other words, for me the v2.10 ROM seems pretty much fine. Faster in some areas but SD performance....? I'm not all that sure as all I use my SD for is file storage, not games or video... But I can say that 1.) DOOMCE ran fine for me, but 2.) Doing a full backup to SD took a *very* long time. Like 40 minutes! And I don't have all that much on my iPAQ.

Clear as mud eh?

Ed Hansberry
02-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Could be your device. I have never disabled hot-dock and don't experience the lockups. Wonder if you have an ever-so-slight short in the serial port?

jlingo2000
02-06-2003, 11:58 AM
I still get lock up every hour. :( and I don't have stowaway driver
I'm trying to get rid of some of Startup.
Such as:
ARI_ENG
HH_DM
poutlook

Does anyone know what are these for? If I move them out of startup folder, what would be the effect? Are these files built-in the OS?

Thanks

Ed Hansberry
02-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Such as:
ARI_ENG
HH_DM
poutlook

ARI-ENG and HH_DM are Compaq files. poutlook is the Pocket Outlook engine. Those three should be left alone. If you are having lockups, it is something else.

Did anyone experiencing lockups restore a pre-ROM upgrade backup onto the upgraded iPAQ?

WyattEarp
02-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Such as:
ARI_ENG
HH_DM
poutlook

Does anyone know what are these for? If I move them out of startup folder, what would be the effect? Are these files built-in the OS?

Thanks

I wrote this on another post but I forgot where, so here it is:

ARI_ENG (Appearance & Regional Information & Language) ENG = english
HH_DM (CF & SD controllers (ables/disables))
Pocket Outlook (loads up on startup)
These files you should not remove.

RickP in AZ
02-07-2003, 05:36 AM
Well, I'm on stirke one! It was obviously not related to the Stowaway at all. As I stated I removed it on Tuesday evening and had not experienced a lockup... Until this afternoon. Bam! Working in Mapopolis, turned the unit off, then upon turning it on a few minutes later Screech! Total freeze.

So I'm thinking at this point it is something related to Mapopolis (or the SD slot as it is installed on the card.) But later this evening the iPAQ woke up for a reminder, and chocked! Nuts!

Obviously it is not related to Mapopolis in and of itself, though it may be related to the "new" SD drivers upon the device waking up.

I am like ][ this close to "downgrading" back to ROM v2.00 as this is not worth the hassle. (I have seen no benefits to speak of with the update and random system lockups is a big downside.)

I am reminded of all of the previous Compaq ROM fiascos and I am getting a rather sour taste in my mouth...

(And yes, I did a hard reset at the end, I removed my SD card before running the update... I did everything by the book and even took many extra steps.)

:? Not all that happy with this "side-grade/downgrade."

(Going off to sulk that I was suckered by hp/Compaq again.)

jlingo2000
02-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Ever since I reverted back to ROM 2.00, I'm a happy user again. 100% no lock ups. :)

I can't believe HP would produce such ROM. It's very horrible.

RickP in AZ
02-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Well, I am happily back to ROM 2.00 and happily once again the owner of the most stable of Pocket PCs. Steady and solid in all applications (which aren't in beta :wink: ) And my battery is even reporting its old extimates of 11 hours of projected runtime. (These may be a touch optimistic but they make me smile...) Atleast I was able to return to the original ROM

I'll just hold out with this ROM until we know whether or not there will be an upgrade to PPC 200x. Until then I'll only run EUUs.

(Still happy that I paid the original price of $750 for my 3975. Interesting how several of the new 545x owners I've come across are now scrambling around trying to find the "discontinued" 397x.)