View Full Version : Had to hard reset my Ipaq

Arcticblue
01-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Yesterday my Ipaq 3850 did lock and I could not turn it on even, when I tried to softreset it by pressing the button the Ipaq screen came up but then I could not turn it off and the screen just stood like that to the battery went empty. :(

So last night I had to hard reset it, I hate doing that as now I got to put in stuff all over again, but then again ... maybe it was meant to be as I did have lots of junk on it and have wanted to do so in the past :D

bmhome1
01-22-2003, 11:22 AM
After you get the apps installed that you are certain you want, MAKE A BACKUP using iPaqBackUp to an SD card. It only takes a few minutes and will guarentee you won't have to reinstall those again and can always go back to that fresh state anytime in minutes in the future.

Then go ahead and install the other apps your'e less sure about or ESPECIALLY one's that you have a bad feeling about not working properly or even maybe caused the hard reset. You shouldn't normally EVER experience a spontaneous hard reset, something probably caused it, such as corrupted files or bad or wrong version applications. NOW make ANOTHER backup and name it to note what it contains. Now you can get back to normal but revert to either two prior states to help figure out if/when anything is misbehaving.

When I first got my iPaq, in my excitement I loaded tons of trial software all at once. I was lucky, nearly everything played nice with each other. Now, I run a back-up EVERYTIME before installing new software. As time goes on, I trash the backup files that are outdated or no longer needed but always keep the copies of system backups that just worked for weeks and weeks without a hitch. And of course, having current backups handy means being worry-free about dead batteries wiping out your system RAM.

Arcticblue
01-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah I did backup some important notes I had on my computer to that store.

The program you did mention is it a freeware ?

You where right about installing lots of trial ware and stuff, that is what I actually did earlier that day....

I do have lots of trialware and freeware on my stationary computer and wanted to see what is worth keeping and whats not.

I did like that "small menu" I had om my ipaq...