View Full Version : offline web viewing

Green_Day_20
01-22-2003, 06:50 AM
I was wondering how you can download a news paper before going to work. And how can I pick the newspaper I want to download??

seanturner
01-22-2003, 07:16 AM
You could use AvantGo. That is the mother of all offline content...

jimski
01-22-2003, 07:17 AM
I use AvantGo to download some web content, but I really like the way Hand Story works (www.handstory.com).

You select clips for various subjects and download them to your PC and sync to yoiur PDA. It is very user friendly and is faster and more enjoyable to use than AvantGo. Just click Update Clips in the morning and in a few minutes, you have fresh and new information. I don't recall any actual newspaper clips, but there are several news services available.

Hand Story also has an option where either you or they can create a custom clip based on an available website. So if the newspaper you are looking for has a web version, this solution might just work.

Hand Story also allows me to selectively update a clip wirelessly through a Bluetooth enabled cell phone. This is something that AvantGo cannot do.

seanturner
01-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Oh, and you could also use the built in Mobile Favorites feature (although it isn't the most powerful thing in the world)... :?

Steven Cedrone
01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
You can also use Mazingo (http://www.mazingo.net)...

Steve

Rirath
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Add my vote for Mazingo.

Green_Day_20
01-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Is there any way to get rid of the default 4 avantgo channels?? I dont really want them. Also how can you turn off pictures to make the sync faster?

Green_Day_20
01-22-2003, 07:32 PM
on more thing, can you get your hotmail downloaded offline, sorta like a POP 3 account?

dcho99
01-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Try the just released RepliGo from Cerience Corporation.

They install a special toolbar button inside IE 5.5 or higher for "one-click" conversion and transfer of "snapshots" of web pages. It shows the page exactly as it was on screen and can then "re-flow" the reading text to fit the screen with a click of a button.

http://www.cerience.com/repligo

14-day fully functional trial version available.

wm5051
01-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Green_Day_20,

You will need to go to AvantGo.com and sign-up for an account and download the full version of the software (this is all for free). Once you sign-up and select content it will be updated on your next sync.

AvantGo DOES allow wireless syncing. Simply tap on the 'tools' link at the bottom of the page and select 'Modem Sync' and it will wirelessly update your content.