View Full Version : Join the Fight Against Cancer

Jason Dunn
01-21-2003, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=44BBA3BA-8261-4D70-AC2F-0B06B4E67D17' target='_blank'>http://members.ud.com/services/team...2F-0B06B4E67D17</a><br /><br /></div>It's been a while since we've posted on this, so I thought it was about time for a reminder. United Devices is a company that takes your unused CPU cycles and puts them to good use. Right now, the project is in phase II:<br /><br />"LigandFit helps scientists characterize therapeutic targets and identify and assess drug candidates by performing automated docking of flexible ligands to a protein's binding site."<br /><br />I have no clue what that means, but it sounds like a good thing, right? <br /><br />Right now we're ranked #82 in the overall team rankings, which isn't too bad. I bet we can get that number higher! If you have a computer, click on the link above to download the client and join the Pocket PC team. The official team home page is the Microsoft Pocket PC site, so this is "non-partisan" and not a Pocket PC Thoughts-specific team. Other Webmasters, if you're reading this, please pass along this message to your readers. Let's kill the "Big C" once and for all!<br /><br />I wonder how much excess processing power our Pocket PCs have going to waste while they're docked in their cradles? Hmm...that gives me an idea...

Rirath
01-21-2003, 02:09 AM
I've fooled with this off and on for awhile... but the more I think about it, the more I decide I'd be better off with my spare cpu cycles doing my work instead. Defragmenting, virus scanning, downloading, even rendering some 3ds scenes. It's a good idea in theory, but I'm unconvinced it all pans out. Not to mention my cpu runs a little hot at about 140F... not something I really want to be actually processing 24/7. I do like this PPC Team idea though, tempting.

dMores
01-21-2003, 02:17 AM
you don't render a 3ds scene "in spare cpu cycles".

once you hit the "render" button, your PC bogs down. even with a dual system like mine you can barely work while rendering !

so, is this cancer thing like the SETI@home stuff?

Sslixtis
01-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Ok Jason, now I expect a PPC version! I'm currently up to 207 days with this program on my PC right now. :way to go:

I used to have The Matrix Screen Saver on my PC until I started using the United Devices Program, now I have the Matrix Screen Saver on my PPC for when it is cradled, I'd love to be able to replace it as well :wink:

I made a PPC Theme for United Devices (http://www.pocketthemes.com/download.php?query=united+devices&op=search) awhile back as well.

Yes, it is very much like Seti@home, United Devices sends some numbers for your PC to crunch for them, when it is finished your PC sends the answers back and gets new numbers to crunch. :lol:

Cheers!

Rirath
01-21-2003, 02:34 AM
you don't render a 3ds scene "in spare cpu cycles".

once you hit the "render" button, your PC bogs down. even with a dual system like mine you can barely work while rendering !

All depends on what you're rendering, what your using to render it, and what you're rendering it on. Who says I didn't mean the cpu cycles of networked computers? But in this specific case I was speaking more in terms of while away from the computer or left on overnight.

Although, if you and a few of your friends would just kindly install this really small app I have that lets me borrow your unused CPU cycles, I'm sure multitasking with 3ds won't be a problem. :)

heov
01-21-2003, 02:48 AM
while docked in the cradle and AS running, RhinoStats CPU Monitor reports that about 3 to 4% of the CPU is being used while @ the today screen.

jhorman
01-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Unless your CPU has an idle mode (that you use) then your CPU is always doing the same amount of work whether or not your running any programs on that CPU. CPU's are clock based, and those clocks are always ticking.... AND

These applications work with idle CPU time, idle means that it will not interfere with things your doing, rendering, defragging, etc. I run Folding@home and play Unreal Tournament at the same time and have never noticed a performance hit since Folding@home immediately gives up its CPU time to the game.

Jonathan1
01-21-2003, 03:26 AM
Wouldn't it be better to find those aliens and then have them cure cancer and the world's problems? :D :wink:

Weyoun6
01-21-2003, 03:32 AM
While I am interested in this, I prefer to know exactly what my computer is doing. I dont know what ligand docking has to do with cancer, and I dont see what doing a little bit of math on my computer can help with cancer. Until I can wrap my brain around this concept, I am sticking with SETI or turning my computer off. Besides, SETI is almost done with the first run. BTW I dont know if there are aliens, but I see no problem in looking for them. I'm a christian - nothing about discovering aliens would change my world view.

Jason Dunn
01-21-2003, 03:55 AM
so, is this cancer thing like the SETI@home stuff?

Very much like it, only it actually has a purpose and might do some good. :lol:

Jason Dunn
01-21-2003, 03:58 AM
While I am interested in this, I prefer to know exactly what my computer is doing. I dont know what ligand docking has to do with cancer, and I dont see what doing a little bit of math on my computer can help with cancer. Until I can wrap my brain around this concept, I am sticking with SETI...

Give this a read, it should explain things to you:

http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/

Cancer rates are so high, I'm shocked and dismayed that anyone would think looking for aliens was a better idea than curing cancer. 8O

Jason Dunn
01-21-2003, 04:00 AM
I've fooled with this off and on for awhile... but the more I think about it, the more I decide I'd be better off with my spare cpu cycles doing my work instead.

Spoken like the Rirath we all know and...know. :roll: A true humanitarian! :lol: This app gives up CPU cycles to any other app that requests it. You're not defragging 24/7, virus-scanning 24/7, or 3D rendering 24/7.

Rirath
01-21-2003, 04:12 AM
Spoken like the Rirath we all know and...know. :roll: A true humanitarian! :lol: This app gives up CPU cycles to any other app that requests it. You're not defragging 24/7, virus-scanning 24/7, or 3D rendering 24/7.

:lol: Hey, how the heck am I suppose to cure cancer with a fragmented harddrive? ;) I realize it's a background process, but none the less it's letting my computer cycles be used by someone I don't really trust for something that probably won't pan out.

Now, if this was for something more practical and helpful to the general internet, I'd probably jump at it. Perhaps one day we'll give a shot at finding just what question "42" answers. :) ::wonders off to try seti after hearing the praise::

Worth noting that on one of them HS job aptitude tests humanitarian ranked last, absolute 0. Highest ranking was "high level verbal communication and leadership / law" :lol:

Kati Compton
01-21-2003, 04:37 AM
I tried the cancer program, but it didn't work right on my computer for some reason. It just did 3 units, then stopped. There were other problems, but I don't quite remember.

So I'm back to SETI.[/quote]

dMores
01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
heh heh :)

rirath: you almost got me there !

:)

Weyoun6
01-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Cancer rates are so high, I'm shocked and dismayed that anyone would think looking for aliens was a better idea than curing cancer. 8O

I think that curing cancer is better, its just that I am not very trusting. On the SETI site you can find, in detail, exactly what is going on, what its doing, how it works, etc... I cant find that on the UD site. I know that its a a project for oxford, but still it should be wide open for everyone to see. Righnow its half way inbetween closed and open.

Steven Cedrone
01-21-2003, 06:12 PM
A link to UD has always been part of my sig...

It used to read: "Unless you know ET has a cure for cancer, you are better off using your PC for this". With a link, of course...

Now it's just "Team Pocket PC"

It would be great to see a cure for cancer in our lifetime!!!

Steve