View Full Version : Misleading specifications?

MikeKey
01-19-2003, 01:43 AM
After reading all the problems Tosh users have with batteries, and having played with an iPAQ 3950, I'm fairly set on buying a LOOX.
I think I've read every existing review there is on the LOOX, plus I've read all the info on the FSC UK web site, watched the presentations, etc., but now I'm a bit confused! :roll:

There seem to be a couple of important (to me) discrepancies between the specs quoted in reviews and the ones FSC provide... so can anyone clear up the following:

1. FSC says the screen is transflective, reviewers say it's reflective. They do know the difference, they quote the iPAQ 3900s as having transflective screens, so which is it? Are you happy with your screen?

2. FSC says it comes with Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition, reviewers say this is an update shipped with the (now defunct) GPRS plug-on. Which is it? Does anyone know if the red/green phone buttons can still be used as intended with the CF GSM/GPRS card, and whether or not the CF card will be shipped with PPC2002 Phone Edition update?

3. FSC says the battery could last up to 10 hours (depending on usage). I know manufacturers exaggerate, so I'd assume it would be closer to 7 or 8 hours max.
However, many reviews have quoted battery times of 2 hours or less, and some not even using it intensively, e.g., no media player, no bluetooth, power saving mode on, etc. :(
What are your real-world experiences of the LOOXs battery life?

Thanks!

Looxer
01-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Mikekey

I am very please to clear these issues to you from my experience with Loox and also from other peoples experience. I will answer your questions as follows:

1. It is “Reflective” only, it was announced initially by FSC it will be Transreflective which is so brilliant on the iPAQ. This type of screen is so good indoors, but I really recommend the reflective screen if you are going to use loox outside under the sunlight, specially as a phone, don’t be disappointed at all, reflective is also very good it is better outdoors.

Am I happy with my screen? Good question :wink: a lot of people got their device with the screen flickering problem, FSC promised to fix and a lot of customers returned their devices, I heard some of them had this problem again even after fixing, I had it also but I ignored it! After I loaded PPC SP3 it is gone!

2. The GSM/GPRS module was canceled, sadly! :( Then FSC promised to release a CF solution in January “Still waiting!” :evil: and they call it a superior solution! But your CF slot will be occupied and you will need to use a headset while using the phone. This is true technically, but if they can produce a GSM/GPRS CF card and transport the voice into the device’s own speaker and mic this would be cool :idea: , we have to wait and see. One thing more, when you connect this card your battery will be drained very fast, you will need the 2nd battery added on. Is it worth the money?! :? Honestly speaking!!! YES but without the GPRS CF card, you will need the second battery I will tell why next…

3. They said 10 hours battery life; I even heard 12, this very funny :lol: :lol: :lol: They based their statement on specific settings in Loox, and also without any applications that effects performance, I am testing my device over and over again. First scenario: screen full brightness, CPU standard mode, frequent usage – not continuous - of the devise and Bluetooth ON with various applications gives you 3 to 3.5 hours after the final alarm.
Second scenario: Lowest brightness, CPU in power saving mode, frequently used with Bluetooth, it gives you approximately 7 to 7.5 hours after the final alarm. You see I am not even getting 10 hrs :?
You know it varies and depends on the way you use your device and the applications installed, type of cards, and so on… Some unlucky customers got something like 2 hours or even less, in these cases they replaced their devices.

There is a good reason to get a second battery only if you accept Loox to be a bit bulky, my personal opinion is that the pocket pc will always need extended battery due to the fact that it has a power hungry 16 bit bright color screen (that u would like to use it max brightness or almost) with fast processor, programs, interfaces, 3D games, keyboard, GPS, etc... And you will be always tempted to use it everyday. I would like to utilize the fulles potential :)

I need to get more accurate data from my log book; I am planning to post a detailed review, only when I have the time :wink: . So I think loox is a good choice – for now only – I like to use it with my SoneyErricson T68i, I am still waiting for an all in one device :roll: , it will take time until then :arrow: Loox is the king, at least for me :)

Any more information please email me
[email protected]

Cheers

Looxer

hollis_f
01-22-2003, 08:56 AM
1. The screen is not the same as on the 39xx/54xx iPAQs. When I held my Loox next to a 3950 in a shop I bought the 3950 there and then. The Loox screen is also mushy in comparison (stylus presses indent the screen) and it flickers when it gets warm.

2. No it doesn't come with PPCPE.

3. Battery life was around 5 hours - less if I had BT switched on.