View Full Version : What to buy for network to accomodate SDI/O wif-fi

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
01-18-2003, 06:01 PM
It's going to be a while wait for the SD wifi cards, but I had a dream about what I should buy for my network =>_<=
Be my hero! : 3

Buy a wireless router;
Works to activesync with desktop attached to router with ethernet cat5e?:
Accesses shared drives/folders on any Windows XP home computer attached to the router?:

Buy USB wifi device:
Pocket PC can get internet access when the desktop has the connection bridged in network settings?:
Pocket PC can activesync with desktop using the USB wifi device?:
Pocket PC can access shared drives/folders on any Windows XP home computer in the network?:

If you can admonish me for buying just any device, do so! :3

FredMurphy
01-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Both of these setups will work as you say. A wireless router will give you more flexibility but the main advantages are:

You won't need your PC to be switched on to access the internet from your PocketPC. I check my email (and PPC Thoughts) before I even get out of bed. :)

The router should give you some protection from the outside world as with the majority of setups it will probably be using NAT. Not quite a firewall but pretty good.

Makes it easier to add other PCs whether wired or wireless.

You don't say if you've already got a network in place. Obviously if you're already using a wired router you'll already have some of these benefits and could just buy a wireless access point.

Hope this helps.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
01-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Wireless access point it is! T'ank you nyan : 3