View Full Version : Axim X5 makes me wanna Switch 'n' Ditch

PromoGuy
01-17-2003, 11:14 PM
A switch and ditch is sounding mighty good right now. Switch to the PPC and ditch the Palm.

The Dell Axim seems like it would make a nice "starter" PPC. I've been on a Visor Deluxe for the past year or so and have really wanted a color screen. But most PPcs seemed too expensive, until today.

With the great deals at Dell this weekend on the X5, I thought I might take a chance and make the leap from the Palm OS to the PPC.

I was considering the discontinued Visor Prism just to be able to keep the add-on modules and get color, but the X5 is just sooooooo tempting.

I am sure I would miss the GPS, camera and phone modules I have, but it might be worth it for color, speed and better compatability with Windows.

I'm new to this forum (and the PPC world) so I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the "switch" and "ditch" I am pondering.

etalianstallion
01-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Do it. You won't regret it.

I would order the Dell, and once you get it, play with it, see how you like it. Get in on it at the current unbelievable price of $234. If it really does not work out for you, return it within 30 days. I think all you would pay is the shipping.

I switched from a Sony CLIE S300 (I think the very first CLIE) and am very happy with the switch. It may be a different case for you though since I didn't have any accessories to go with the CLIE (none were available!).

guinness
01-18-2003, 12:36 AM
The Axim is pretty sweet, IMO. A friend of mine got one too, but I haven't had a chance to ask him how he likes it.

My favorite thing about it are the dual card slots, SD is good for memory and CF for future expansion. Also, I don't thick it's a brick, it's probably about the same size as a Visor. The battery life is another plus of the Axim.

ux4484
01-18-2003, 12:58 AM
I've got one, and I'm still undecided.......I really like it, but If I'm going to the "Y", then taking a bike ride, then running errands, I'd rather have a PDA I won't cry over if I drop it. PIM-wise I still much prefer the Visor (and Palm Desktop), but for everything else I love the Dell so.........SEE the question mark :wink:

Once you get your stuff transferred to Outlook (If your using PD) it's really not hard to keep them both synced (memo to notes can be troublesome, but not impossible). If you used any user defined fields in PD you'll have to tweak them all in Outlook :? , but If you're already syncing with Outlook, it's a breeze.

While the battery life of the Dell is great for a PPC, I'm REALLY spoiled by the month+ battery life of my Visor. When I go on vacation.....My Dell will stay home.....the Visor gets to come :D .

spursdude
01-18-2003, 01:08 AM
While the battery life of the Dell is great for a PPC, I'm REALLY spoiled by the month+ battery life of my Visor. When I go on vacation.....My Dell will stay home.....the Visor gets to come :D .

But that means you don't get to bring your MP3 / video / NES / Game Gear / SNES player! :D

Janak Parekh
01-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Of course, none of the new Palms, Handsprings, or Sonys can do this either... :(

I've heard, though, that the battery life of the extended Dell battery is amazing. It might be the first combo that can rival classic Palm devices.

--janak

ux4484
01-18-2003, 02:12 AM
But that means you don't get to bring your MP3 / video / NES / Game Gear / SNES player! :D

My usual Vacations do not leave time for that.

Janak,

I am SooOOOoo getting a 3400mah if Dell ever has a discount on it.

grobin
01-19-2003, 12:12 AM
I've had my Dell Axim X5 for 2 weeks now. It is my first handheld so I can't really compare it to others. However, I am extremely pleased with it and don't know how I ever got along without it before.

I listen to audio books on my 45min commute (90min total for both ways) to and from work. I use it to take notes at work meetings.

I also use it as a fantastic reference library with the software I have loaded into it.

I also read 'regular' ebooks (non audio) at late nite hours in bed without having to annoy my wife with having a reading lamp turned on.

I have even writtien my first PPC application in embedded Visual C++ -- a Pop3 mail preview program so I can preview/delete spam and waste emails before they are downloaded by Outlook.

I LOVE my Axim X5. I have had NO problems with it and have few complaints about it.

I also use a wireless network card in it and surf the web via my broadband connection around the house. The wireless lan card CF12 from Linksys does drain the battery fairly fast, however. It is probably the biggest power drain item I use. It might be worth getting the 3440ma battery for it ... but so far it hasn't been a real big problem.

I can usually get 6-7 hours (maybe more but I never run it down that far in normal usuage) of use if I am not using the wireless lan card. With the wireless lan card I don't know cuz I don't spend hours every day surfing the net BUT I am sure it is significantly less.

Anyhow, I am sold on PPC platform and love my Axim. However, if something else comes along with more features and same price range ......... :D

Andy Whiteford
01-19-2003, 01:00 AM
You can expect a review of the Axim on this site in the next week. Initial impressions are favourable.

MPSmith
01-22-2003, 05:18 AM
I agree. I left Palm about 3 years ago and never looked back. Some of the Sony's have kept up, but the Visors and Palms are ancient history.

PromoGuy
01-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Just to close this thread, I DID go ahead and get the X5 400mhz. The discounts were too great to pass up.

You can read the sordid tale in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7452&start=10).

Thanks for all the feedback, it helped!

Now I just need to find a camera for it to replace the one I am used to on my Visor.