View Full Version : Dell Axim: The Throw-away Device?

Jason Dunn
01-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Pocket PC Thoughts reader Terry Cox received an interesting response from a Dell tech support person:<br /><br /><i>"At this time, Dell does not sell parts for the Axim, and does not do repairs on Axims. Even if the problem is covered under warranty we do not service the Axim, we replace it. At this time, Dell has no service option to replace the LCD, even as an out of warranty repair. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. - Dell Forum Moderator Rollie R."</i><br /><br />This makes quite a bit of sense actually - by redefining the price point that Pocket PCs are sold at, Dell has brought them from the "computer" category into the "appliance" category. They likely have an agreement with the ODM to simply ship back defective units, and the ODM will recycle the components or whatnot. Not a bad deal for consumers if the unit is under warranty - you'll always get a new unit. If it's not under warranty though...you're out of luck with getting it repaired. What do you think about this? Good or bad move on Dell's part?

GO-TRIBE
01-17-2003, 07:33 PM
I really like the ability to repair my devices (iPaqs), but then again I also order the parts and do it myself (after warranty is up)

retlaw
01-17-2003, 07:35 PM
If I just bought an Axim and my problem was under warranty, I think it would be great to get a new PPC instead of a "fixed" one.

If I just bought an Axim and my problem was not under warranty (screen crack), I would be ticked off that I had to shell out the full amount for a new one. On the other hand a new Axim is probably almost as cheap to buy as a "regular" (HP, Toshiba, etc) PPC's screen is to get fixed (after shipping and parts and labour, etc).

dochall
01-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Well.

Good as you know you're not going to get some dodgy replacement but:

- I think that they should make it clear on the website - they don't at the moment. It makes that extended warranty more attractive though.

- I also think that they should be looking into providing insurance at the POS.

As thinks stand I could drop a brand new Axim and my only option is to buy a new one. Doesn't feel right some how.

Evee Ev
01-17-2003, 07:40 PM
the deal seems pretty cool being that you can get a new one instead of just having your old one replaced. BUT, that kinda stinks that you're not covered once the warranty is over. how long is the warranty anyway? one year? as it happens on most devices the real hardcore problems start on day 366!

MooseMaster
01-17-2003, 07:42 PM
This is a great idea, as long as it is made clear that replacements are impossible after warranty is up (contributing to a desire to order a longer two and three year warranty). This is might be a contributing factor to the Dell's lower price, too. And it will always mean quick service. They could send you a new replacement device as soon as you put in the RMA request, as long as you've got your Axim packaged up for the UPS person to take when they drop off the new one.

vincentsiaw
01-17-2003, 07:50 PM
ehm, if i own one of the axikm, i'll stick to the warranty option :x

Timothy Rapson
01-17-2003, 07:58 PM
This is one of the great things about PDAs and where the market price point is going.

Not only should PDAs not be fixed, they should be so cheap that they can be upgraded by being thrown away (or given to the kids to play with) every year or two and new, better models purchased for $100-200.

Desktops are almost at this point, but PDAs are much better suited to it. This has huge advantages, as it makes it easier for the manufacturer to keep up with the lastest processors and configurations. No one need worry about whether the software can be updated. You just get another cheap model every year or two.

The detraction is that it won't be PDAs. It will be smart phones. You can already see that no one is concerned about whether a phone cost $100 or $200 to make. If you make hundreds of millions of them, and make all the money on the phone fees, you can replace all of them you want; It only brings down the unit costs.

I sure would not worry whether the warranty on a $175 Axim is 90 days or one year and I surely would not get an extended one. I would hope it only lasted a year so that I could update it all at once. But, maybe that is just me.

Janak Parekh
01-17-2003, 08:49 PM
My take on this is that it's too early to say definitively yet. It's possible that they haven't set up a parts channel yet, and just ship the defective units back to the OEM that's manufacturing it. Considering that no Dells are out of warranty by definition, this sort of makes sense. We might see their policy change later on.

--janak

Andy Sjostrom
01-17-2003, 09:25 PM
New = Good.

Sslixtis
01-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Yes, Yes, and Yes to what - Timothy Rapson, Janak Parekh, and Andy Sjostrom said. :way to go:

Foo Fighter
01-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Cool> if my Axim breaks, even after several months of use, I get a brand spankin new model? That sure as well beats Palm's support policy. When my original M505 died they sent me a refurbished unit that has ROTTEN battery life. I complained to their support center, but they basically told me to eat it. :roll:

ledowning
01-17-2003, 10:22 PM
I think that replacing the PDA is a good thing, you don't have to worry if a replacement part is a lemon or not. With the Axim, I do believe that Dell offers up to a 3 year warranty on the unit.

Rirath
01-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Hmm, the Dell support rep made it clear to me after 30 days I'll get a refurbished replacement if I ever need one. Perhaps this has changed, not like they ever know what they're talking about.

Underwater Mike
01-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Rirath,

That's the same line I got from Dell support, and I've seen a lot of other folks saying the same thing.

I'd be REALLY suprised if these things simply go into the trash. My guess is that they go back to Taiwan and are stripped for parts. Just because Dell isn't offering this option to end users doesn't mean that it's not being done.

Hmm, the Dell support rep made it clear to me after 30 days I'll get a refurbished replacement if I ever need one. Perhaps this has changed, not like they ever know what they're talking about.

Foo Fighter
01-18-2003, 12:49 AM
I'd be REALLY suprised if these things simply go into the trash. My guess is that they go back to Taiwan and are stripped for parts.

That is exactly how the process works. Dell doesn't even manufacture these devices. Defective or returned Axims go back to the OEM (Wistron) where I assume they are remanufactured (stripped for parts).

Jonathon Watkins
01-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Well, at that price, I'll just get a new one. As long as they don't ALL die after 366 day! :?

HTK
01-18-2003, 04:51 AM
The definition of "new ones" that all of you talk about for the dell pda may be sometimes a frankenstein from other defunct devices..
I don´t think this is a great deal.. if my device is on warranty I want it working perfectly no mather what , and they have to gimme that, fixing or replacing it, I don´t care... and if the warranty ends I don´t want to buy a new one when the old one breaks... My upgrades should be my choice, not destiny´s
I think this is pure lazyness and it is not contributing to the lower prices at all, the pda is a little, but complex device and should be treated like one
Some years from now pocket pcs may be built with 2 or 3 pieces, then I would say that we can throw them in trash after a problem...

Kati Compton
01-18-2003, 04:53 AM
I agree with Janak that the policy may change. If it's going to break the deal for you buying one, let Dell know. But I would suspect that they will re-evaluate this decision when it gets to be November, if not sooner.

Rirath
01-18-2003, 05:00 AM
if my device is on warranty I want it working perfectly no mather what , and they have to gimme that, fixing or replacing it, I don´t care... and if the warranty ends I don´t want to buy a new one when the old one breaks... My upgrades should be my choice, not destiny´s

Things break, it happens. If the warranty is up and it's broke, then you'll either have to buy a new one or stop using PPC's. That's just life man. With proper care it could last ages. Good luck on that telling destiny it's wrong on something. Let me know if it works.

Janak Parekh
01-18-2003, 06:53 AM
My upgrades should be my choice, not destiny´s
I think this is pure lazyness and it is not contributing to the lower prices at all
Three points:

1. Consider buying an extended warranty, then;

2. Your assumption that, somehow, a out-of-warranty repair is going to be substantially cheaper is not necessarily true. You don't want to know what it costs to replace the iPaq's inverter board or LCD screen. Let's put it this way -- I'd rather spend $70 more and get a whole new PDA.

3. If you're still not happy, maybe Dell's not the choice for you. I personally don't think their current policy is "wrong", though.

--janak

papasmurf
01-18-2003, 02:05 PM
I like the policy. How many times have you had something repaired, (anything) and the repair itself created more problems?

ploeg
01-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Not terribly worried about the policy in itself. The whole idea is to rip these things out as cheaply as possible (with acceptable quality), and if you break it sometime down the road, you're more likely to upgrade to the latest and greatest than you are to want to repair the old one.

I'm much more concerned with where it would leave you regarding accessories. The unit itself is inexpensive, but you can run up a pretty good bill buying batteries, keyboards, and the like. If you break your old model out of warranty and the new Dells don't play nice with the old accessories, you're out of luck.