View Full Version : Axim display backlight

amoll
01-17-2003, 04:36 PM
The display on my AXIM looks great; the color is good and it is evenly lit at all light levels, EXCEPT at the very bottom - probably the bottom quarter inch - where there in the horizontal direction are alternating lighter and darker areas, particularly when viewed with the bottom of the AXIM tilted slightly further away from me than the optimal viewing angle. This pattern is not very distinct and I would not consider it annoying, but I just want to investigate whether it is quite normal or not. Has anybody else out there noticed this on their AXIM?

ux4484
01-17-2003, 05:22 PM
yes, mine has that, so do the two others I have seen.

Kati Compton
01-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Yes, although I mainly see it when it's in it's cradle and I'm looking down at it with the bottom part tilted slightly *toward* me...

dartman
01-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Same here. Never really noticed it before. Very faint.

dart

GoldKey
01-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Mine does this too.

Doc Phil
01-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Thanks for asking this question, and providing the answers. I had wondered if mine was an anomaly, but it obviously is not. :?

Now if I could just get its brightness to match that of my friend's IPAQ I'd really have it all. Held side by side, his 38++ is about twice as bright as mine; put another way, full brightness on Axim = ~50% on IPAQ. Oh well, can't have everything, right? :cry:

Kati Compton
01-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Odd. I find that usually on full brightness the Axim is too bright for me. <shrug> Maybe I have sensitive eyes.

Janak Parekh
01-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Held side by side, his 38++ is about twice as bright as mine; put another way, full brightness on Axim = ~50% on IPAQ. Oh well, can't have everything, right? :cry:
I would honestly not stress about it too much. On the 3800-series units, which are reflective, you need the brightness for the display to look nice. A transflective display gives you the same clarity and contrast with less brightness.

--janak

Andy Whiteford
01-19-2003, 01:12 AM
This lighting is normal. I'm guessing it's the matrix of LEDs and you are seeing the individual light sources creating this effect. It's only noticeable at the bottom of the screen and very faint. If you look straight on, it's almost impossible to see but if you look from a higher position, it's more noticeable. I think this is a product of the light reflecting off the casing at the bottom of the screen inside the device which explains why the screen appears consistently lit otherwise. If you look from the bottom of the device, this effect is not noticeable at all, at least on my unit and this adds weight to this theory.

As for the brightness, I think the Axim is plenty bright enough. People tend to assume brighter equals better. I subscribe to the theory if the unit seems bright enough in all scenarios which it is for me, additional brightness is just a waste, especially of the battery. A brighter screen is also more likely to cause you eyestrain, mainly because the eye copes better when the lightsource you look at, in this case the screen, is closer to the ambient light level. Ever wonder why those meddling health and safety people at work insist on having office lighting on overhead when working at a monitor!

tccox
01-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for asking this question, and providing the answers. I had wondered if mine was an anomaly, but it obviously is not. :?

Now if I could just get its brightness to match that of my friend's IPAQ I'd really have it all. Held side by side, his 38++ is about twice as bright as mine; put another way, full brightness on Axim = ~50% on IPAQ. Oh well, can't have everything, right? :cry:

Did you mean to say "His 39++ is about twice as bright" ???? Belive me I have a IPAQ 3835 which DOES NOT have the transreflective screen like our Axims and side by side with both at full brightness my Axim is at least TWICE as bright as my IPAQ 3835 and color is much much better. Thats's why my IPAQ is up for sell (Cheap) Now if your friend has a 3900 series IPAQ, yep it is brighter (but at cost of less battery life) But I repeat. If your Axim's display is not noticeable brighter than a IPAQ 3800 series, something is very very wrong....

Janak Parekh
01-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Did you mean to say "His 39++ is about twice as bright" ???? Belive me I have a IPAQ 3835 which DOES NOT have the transreflective screen like our Axims and side by side with both at full brightness my Axim is at least TWICE as bright as my IPAQ 3835 and color is much much better.
Well, it depends on what you define as brightness. My 3870 is more of a "flashlight" in the sense that it tends to light up the entire room. :D I've seen the 1910, which has a similar display to the 39xx units, and I'd say they've got much better contrast than just raw brightness. I do personally perceive it as "brighter", too, however.

--janak

tccox
01-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Did you mean to say "His 39++ is about twice as bright" ???? Belive me I have a IPAQ 3835 which DOES NOT have the transreflective screen like our Axims and side by side with both at full brightness my Axim is at least TWICE as bright as my IPAQ 3835 and color is much much better.
Well, it depends on what you define as brightness. My 3870 is more of a "flashlight" in the sense that it tends to light up the entire room. :D I've seen the 1910, which has a similar display to the 39xx units, and I'd say they've got much better contrast than just raw brightness. I do personally perceive it as "brighter", too, however.

--janak
No, my Axim is brighter in the way a 100 watt light bulb puts out more light than a 40 watt bulb. Just a much better display that my 3835. Put them side by side , the differance is amazing......

Doc Phil
01-23-2003, 04:31 AM
I've got old eyes. They like more brightness. Not sure which model he had but his was brighter, so probably the 3870. I've just applied a Writeshield, so now we'll see if that slight dimming is noticeable to old eyes. Hey, I'm happy overall. Still have lots to learn about this, being my first color PDA. 8)

Janak Parekh
01-23-2003, 06:02 AM
No, my Axim is brighter in the way a 100 watt light bulb puts out more light than a 40 watt bulb. Just a much better display that my 3835. Put them side by side , the differance is amazing......
I've put my 3870 against a 3970. I've seen the difference. I think we're just talking about different things and agreeing. ;)

--janak