View Full Version : Boost the Performance of your HP iPaq H5450 Pocket PC.

paris
01-16-2003, 10:55 PM
The file DM_k.exe eats up 10-15 of the CPU, you only need this if you are using expansion packs. If you don't use expansion packs perform the following to remove this and boost the performance of your iPaq.

1. Copy the file DM_k.lnk from the start up folder in windows to another location for a backup(e.g in \Windows\StartupBak).
2. Remove DM_k.lnk from the start up folder in windows(\Windows\Startup)
3. Soft reset your device
4. Experience a boost in performance at 10-15%

if you ever need to use expansion packs just copy back the file to the start up folder and soft-reset your device.

Now i can play bustem and Motocros stunt racer very smoothly and i am sure all other games that had problems will run smooth now!!!

Thanks goes to dschur in brighthand forums! (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69780&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

The Half-Ling
01-16-2003, 11:55 PM
HOLY ****!

i just used this with snails 1.9 beta 3 and it runs hella smoothly...very trippy!

Thanks,
Jake

What to do with my brand new Dual SS 3?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-17-2003, 11:36 AM
I have these in my iPAQ H3850's startup folder:

1. AFlashman.lnk
2. ARI_Eng.lnk
3. CFlashman.lnk
4. HH_DM.lnk
5. POutlook.lnk

Question :idea: Can I remove item 1, 2, 3 & 4? I only use MMC card (very rare though) and not using neither CF cards nor expansion packs. My guess is that HH_DM.lnk is equivalent to DM_K.lnk and CFlashman.lnk is needed when you're using CF cards. Anyone care to shed some lights in this matter :?:

Fats
01-17-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm watching the LOTR trailer using PocketMVP - where it used to be a little choppy, its smooth as silk after removing the DM_k.exe.

Thanks paris!

van_mierlo
01-17-2003, 10:02 PM
This does wonders......hmm maybe I don't have to carry my memplug for a while until this will be fixed by an update

ipaq38vette
01-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Now if only HP would come up with a ROM update that removes the file automatically without an expansion pack and restores the file when an expansion pack is initialized. I use my expansion pack 50/50 so it would be too much of a pain to keep moving the file and rebooting.

sirtin
01-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Tried it, works great. :)

Now, I DO use my CF expansion sleeve from time to time and it IS annoying to copy it back. Soooo...I've copied the link OUT of the startup folder and into the START Menu folder. Now, I just click Start->DM_k when my CF sleeve is installed and...BAM, initialized. :)

Now...if there was a way to stop it without a soft-reset...hmmmm....

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-18-2003, 02:21 AM

1. AFlashman.lnk
2. ARI_Eng.lnk
3. CFlashman.lnk
4. HH_DM.lnk
5. POutlook.lnk

Question :idea: Can I remove item 1, 2, 3 & 4? I only use MMC card (very rare though) and not using neither CF cards nor expansion packs. My guess is that HH_DM.lnk is equivalent to DM_K.lnk and CFlashman.lnk is needed when you're using CF cards. Anyone care to shed some lights in this matter :?:

Tried removing HH_DM.lnk from my startup folder and haven't notice any performance increase. At least it doesn't crash though :D

dschur
01-18-2003, 04:37 AM
Hello, David, 5450, DM_k.exe

Take a look at your device. does it say 3850 on it?

Stone
01-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Great tip, Thanks!

BTW, I received the new PocketWatch eNewsletter today and it mentions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Pack 3 is now available to download for your Pocket PC. The Service Pack includes Windows Media Player 8.5, improved security and TAB support for Pocket Internet Explorer as well as the great new
Bliss' today screen. Make sure you check it out today.

So, my 5400 does have the new WMP 8.5 and the new Bliss theme (cool but hey, I only have 35,000 others I can use , right? ;-) ) How can I either activate the PIE TABS or do I need to upgrade using this service pack?

Has anyone with a 5400 tried this upgrade?

Pony99CA
01-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I received the new PocketWatch eNewsletter today and it mentions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Pack 3 is now available to download for your Pocket PC. The Service Pack includes Windows Media Player 8.5, improved security and TAB support for Pocket Internet Explorer as well as the great new
Bliss' today screen. Make sure you check it out today.

So, my 5400 does have the new WMP 8.5 and the new Bliss theme (cool but hey, I only have 35,000 others I can use , right? ;-) ) How can I either activate the PIE TABS or do I need to upgrade using this service pack?

Has anyone with a 5400 tried this upgrade?
If you think that Pocket IE tab support means you get a tabbed browser like Mozilla, you'll be disappointed, I think. The tab support was simply to allow you to use the Tab key to move from one field to another in a Web form. On my iPAQ 3870 with EUU3, I don't like the way that it works -- I have to hit Tab twice to get to the next field, and the keyboard SIP disapears when I do. :-(

I think that support is already in the 5400 series.

Steve

Pony99CA
01-18-2003, 02:22 PM

1. AFlashman.lnk
2. ARI_Eng.lnk
3. CFlashman.lnk
4. HH_DM.lnk
5. POutlook.lnk

Actually, I think AFlashman and CFlashman are used by the Permanent PIM feature. AFlashman would save Appointments to the iPAQ File Store and CFlashman would save Contacts to the iPAQ File Store.

That's just a guess on my part, though. :-)

Steve

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-19-2003, 02:25 PM

1. AFlashman.lnk
2. ARI_Eng.lnk
3. CFlashman.lnk
4. HH_DM.lnk
5. POutlook.lnk

Actually, I think AFlashman and CFlashman are used by the Permanent PIM feature. AFlashman would save Appointments to the iPAQ File Store and CFlashman would save Contacts to the iPAQ File Store.

That's just a guess on my part, though. :-)

Steve

Hmmm, if that's the case then I think it would be safe for me to remove both AFlashman & CFlashman coz I don't use the Permanent PIM feature :D Thanks for guessing :idea:

Eitel
01-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Don't remove or delete anything. Just move the files to another folder and see what doesn't work afterwards.

paris
01-19-2003, 09:48 PM
rmouving the others wont make a diference since they dont utilize the cpu as much as the DM_k.exe did. Without this file my ipaq only uses 4% cpu time when idle.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Found out that HH_DM.lnk has something to do with my iPAQ H3850 SD/MMC slot 8O When removed, I cannot access my SD/MMC slot. Anyways, I'd moved HH_DM.lnk (AFlashman.lnk and CFlashman.lnk as well) to my Programs folder so that I can click on it when I wanna access my SD/MMC cards :D

ChasG
01-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Any tricks anyone knows to speed up the 3970? I have taken every thing off the TODAY/START menues and moved the memory/program slide to about 70%-30% which helps. I use the SD slot but will not be using an expansion pack. I think David Brandon made a similar inquiry re; other programs to deleat or move,or upgrades/downloads? I use the IPAQ with a BTGPS and Anywhere Map nav. software. Thanks Charlie

WyattEarp
01-21-2003, 07:41 PM

1. AFlashman.lnk
2. ARI_Eng.lnk
3. CFlashman.lnk
4. HH_DM.lnk
5. POutlook.lnk

Question Can I remove item 1, 2, 3 & 4? I only use MMC card (very rare though) and not using neither CF cards nor expansion packs. My guess is that HH_DM.lnk is equivalent to DM_K.lnk and CFlashman.lnk is needed when you're using CF cards. Anyone care to shed some lights in this matter

1. Appointmets (Permanent PIM)
2. Don't Know Yet
3. Contacts (Permanent PIM)
4. HH_DM (CF & SD controllers (ables/disables))
5. Pocket Outlook (loads up on startup)

DON'T DELETE #4 unless you don't plan on ever using CF or SD cards.

________
iPAQ H3975

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-22-2003, 05:00 AM
1. Appointmets (Permanent PIM)
2. Don't Know Yet
3. Contacts (Permanent PIM)
4. HH_DM (CF & SD controllers (ables/disables))
5. Pocket Outlook (loads up on startup)

DON'T DELETE #4 unless you don't plan on ever using CF or SD cards.

Thanks :D Hopefully someone will be able to decode what ARI_Eng.lnk is for 8O

WyattEarp
01-23-2003, 03:50 AM
I should have thought about it before... so here it is:

2. ARI_Eng (Appearance & Regional Information & Language) Eng = english

I wouldn't delete this either...

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-23-2003, 04:56 AM
I should have thought about it before... so here it is:

2. ARI_Eng (Appearance & Regional Information & Language) Eng = english

I wouldn't delete this either...
Ahhh... mysteries finally solved! Thanks so much :D