View Full Version : Frontlight shortcut for Toshiba e740?

mvirata
01-16-2003, 07:38 PM
I've just recently upgraded from a Jornada 548 to the Tosh 740, reading the forums and getting up to speed (Best Buy's extended warranty is too cool!) I've got Dashboard installed on my 740 and have been trying to find a way to map a shortcut to the Frontlight control from Dashboard's Launcher, as well as place a shortcut on the Start Menu.

On the Jornada, there was a .lnk or .exe file in the Windows directory that I could create a shortcut to, but I can't find somethimg similar on my 740. Am I missing something or can this not be done? I don't like having to go through Settings->System->Frontlight->Configure.

Thanks,
Marc

Delta737
01-16-2003, 09:22 PM
I put the Power (the battery indicator) button on my Home app. I find it easier to access, since I always use Home (and not the configure screen much). This should be possible for the Frontlight setting as well...

mvirata
01-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Hmm, what executable did you browse to, to get to "Power"? Even if I could get this to work, I was hoping to get to the setting where you control the brightness with one tap. Tapping on Power, I think you still need to tap Frontlight, then Configure, that's three taps, which I guess is better than the 5 taps from the Start Menu.

Delta737
01-17-2003, 04:28 PM
OK, this is what you should do (using Home App)

1. Choose "Add"
2. Tap "Browse"
3. Go to the "Windows" folder
4. Select "All Files(*.*)" in the "Type" menu
5. Select "Frontlight.cpl"
6. Tap "Ok"

You're done. That saves another tap :wink:

mvirata
01-17-2003, 06:51 PM
That did the trick. I was able to put frontlight on both the Start Menu and on Launcher for Dashboard. Didn't think to try CPL files because I assumed they weren't executable. Now the only "issue" is that the icon itself is the standard unknown windows icon graphic. I've been reading that icon images are hard coded into the file on PocketPC's, so changing the icon isn't easy. Thanks again!