View Full Version : Need help with Internet connection please

Ramon
01-16-2003, 04:54 PM
I have a Dell Axim on the way to me as I type this. I am going from a Palm M100 to the Axim and don't plan on looking back. That said.....

I was wondering how to establish an Internet connection with the unit. We have a cable modem at home and it is not a wireless system. Everything I have read so far pertains to a wireless system. Anyway, I was wondering how I could surf the net on the Axim without just downloading info from a website to be able to read later. I want to be able to turn it on and browse the internet, even if I have to plug it in somehow.

I am sorry if this has been covered already, but I didn't see a question or answer to this issue specifically. If it has been covered, could somebody please provide a link? Thank you

Sven Johannsen
01-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Several options. Convenience and cost go hand in hand.

You can do that right now by turning on Pass-Through in ActiveSync on the desktop (not loaded on this machine so I can't give you super details). That lets you surf while cradled or cabled and connected via ActiveSync. Don't need to do anything else. (Free) Maybe a USB extension cord :)

Cabled you could go either with an Ethernet Compact Flash or a Compact Flash Modem. The former of course needs a way to connect, normally a router/switch, but a second network card in a PC can work. (the first network card is conected to the ISP modem and you share that connection. Makes the PC a router, essentially). With the modem you need a dial-up account and you use it just like a dial-up PC. ($50-$100 + what you might need to hook it to, or the dial-up account)

Wireless has a couple of options as well, 802.11(WiFi), and Bluetooth (BT). Each require a CF card for the PPC and a some Transmitting thing that is connected to the ISP in some way. Could be an Access Point or a card in a connected PC or something similar. (~ $200 for everything you'd need {retail})

There is also the option of a cell type connection that works anywhere. Not sure if the Dells have solidified a CF connection card that works yet, but I think this option is more than you were looking for anyway.

Ramon
01-16-2003, 07:54 PM
You can do that right now by turning on Pass-Through in ActiveSync on the desktop (not loaded on this machine so I can't give you super details). That lets you surf while cradled or cabled and connected via ActiveSync. Don't need to do anything else. (Free) Maybe a USB extension cord :)

This might be good enough. I don't need to walk around the mall checking out websites, but I would like to be able to surf the net from my living room. Even if I am plugged into the router somehow. Thanks for your reply, I guess I just haven't figured out how it works. I'm sure that once I get it in my hands things will make a little more sense. Again, thank you

Xtreme23
01-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Actually I was curious.. how do u surf the web on the Axim being connected through aCtivesync?

Sven Johannsen
01-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Actually I was curious.. how do u surf the web on the Axim being connected through aCtivesync?

There is a check box on an ActiveSync page, under options, on one of the tabs IIRC, along with a dropdown that selects internet or work, that allows it.

Then, if the PPC is 'connected', doesn't have to be partnered, guest is fine, you just open up Pocket IE and surf. Little silly IMHO if it is in the cradle next to a 17" monitor*, but you can also open up IM on the little guy and not take screen space. With a longer USB cable (not cradle) you could sit in your lounger if it is close enough, and that isn't too bad.

It has been a while since I did a fresh AS install, but I thought that was enabled by default. Just go to IE and try something.

*Don't anyone get in a snit, I know there are dozens of good reasons, including 'cuz you can.

Ramon
01-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Little silly IMHO if it is in the cradle next to a 17" monitor*, but you can also open up IM on the little guy and not take screen space. With a longer USB cable (not cradle) you could sit in your lounger if it is close enough, and that isn't too bad.

I'm not getting in a snit 8)

But, this is exactly what I want to be able to do sometimes. My computer is in my bedroom at the other end of the room. Sometimes, when wacthing TV or lounging around, i don't want to get up and wait the 4 hours for Windows to boot up on the PC just to check out a website I saw on TV, especially if I can do it with the Dell :rock on dude!:

Green_Day_20
01-17-2003, 12:01 AM
What is a good CF dial-up 56K modem at a reasonable price that is compatible with the Axim?? can you get these things at like radio shack??

Xtreme23
01-17-2003, 03:23 AM
im trying to find where u are referring to .. is this on the Axim you're talking about or the Desktop?

Xtreme23
01-17-2003, 03:28 AM
There is a check box on an ActiveSync page, under options, on one of the tabs IIRC, along with a dropdown that selects internet or work, that allows it.

where is this? on Axim or desktop

QYV
01-17-2003, 04:43 AM
What is a good CF dial-up 56K modem at a reasonable price that is compatible with the Axim?? can you get these things at like radio shack??

Heh...I got one for free from CompUSA with rebate in an after-Thanksgiving sale. :D It's by Ambicom. I also used to have one by Pretec which worked really well. Those run around $80, at least last time I checked.

Pony99CA
01-17-2003, 03:51 PM
But, this is exactly what I want to be able to do sometimes. My computer is in my bedroom at the other end of the room. Sometimes, when wacthing TV or lounging around, i don't want to get up and wait the 4 hours for Windows to boot up on the PC just to check out a website I saw on TV, especially if I can do it with the Dell :rock on dude!:

Well, if your computer isn't on, your USB port won't be powered, and therefore ActiveSync Pass-Through won't work for you. :-(

If you already have a router attached to your cable modem, you could buy a CF LAN card and run a long Ethernet cable from your router to your Pocket PC.

However, wireless is the way to go. You can find wireless routers for less than $100, and, even without a deal like Jason posted yesterday, you can get a WiFi CF card for under $50. That would likely allow you to surf anywhere in your house.

Steve

Pony99CA
01-17-2003, 04:04 PM

where is this? on Axim or desktop

Check both places. :-)

But, to save you the trouble, on your host PC's ActiveSync, do the following:

Open the Tools menu.
Click Options.
Select the Rules tab.
Set the Pass Through options at the bottom of the dialog.

Steve