View Full Version : MP3's and Storager Cards...

sandalboy27
01-16-2003, 05:19 AM
hi there, love my toshiba e310. i use it everyday, but i just got a new memory card!! yipee.... but i have a question. mp3's are nearly 3 to 4mb per song, and can fit only about 42 songs in a 128mb SD card. was wondering if anyone knew a program to cut that nearly in half? perhaps 1.5 to 2 per song without losing quality? thank for any input. WithMP3 is a great program too, just spreading the word. :wink:

mashtim
01-16-2003, 05:39 AM
You could try converting your MP3s to WMA files. They say that the quality at 64kps is similar to an MP3 playing at 128. You'll cut your file sizes in half in no time!

spursdude
01-16-2003, 06:43 AM
During the conversion from mp3 to wma, I have actually noticed very little quality loss.

Of course, when you can, convert directly from CD to wma, which will provide the best sound quality.

If you check out the software forum, there will be people who will try to sell you on the Ogg format - good quality and filesize, although not as convenient (for me, at least) as wma. Of course, give it a shot and see what you like the most.

I personally vote for wma at 64kbps.

Janak Parekh
01-16-2003, 06:50 AM
I have to agree with spursdude, give WMA via WMP's transcoding features a try first and see if you're happy with that.

Personally, I don't like the results of any bitrate reduction, be it MP3 to WMA or MP3 to MP3 (via some other transcoder); I rerip the material. Unfortunately, withMP3 doesn't support WMA, right? Or Ogg for that matter... :(

--janak

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
01-16-2003, 08:49 AM
I use windows media player series 9 and the Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP's Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE. It can convert a whole folder of MP3s into .wma. And if I have the actual CD (gasp) I just use windows media player 9 to rip the CD to wma =>_>=;;;; 64 kbps stereo is acceptable to me.

sandalboy27
01-17-2003, 12:03 AM
you guys helped a lot. i think i'll go with the WMA format. been playing with it for a while now and seems to be really good quality. thanks again.