View Full Version : V35 battery life time ???

WEB-devil
01-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I have my Viewsonic V35 for 3 weeks and I'm very confused by the battery life time. First it lasted for 6-8 hours but last week it droped to 3-4 hours !!!

I talked to the Viewsonic tech support and they told me that it "should" last for 8+ on avarage usage without any other devices connected.

My avarage usage is playing MP3,WMA files on background for 30-60 min, playing games 10-30 min, watching movies ~20 min, using graphical applications, sound level 25%, brightness 30%, smart battery setting on high performance and using a 128MB SanDisk SD card. After doing is kind of operations for 3.5 hours the battery falls under 20%.

Have somebody the same experience???

Please help me :cry:

WEB-devil

koolrider67
02-15-2003, 09:53 PM
You might want to try turning off the display when you play MP3s

pocketdoc
02-17-2003, 03:03 PM
I am also a V35 owner, and have had similar results. I never got more than 4 hours, and I don't see where Viewsonic is getting 8 hours! I rely somewhat on Battery Pack's numbers, but real time estimates are also low.

Anyone else? :( :(

Andy Whiteford
02-18-2003, 10:44 AM
What kind of general usage pattern do you have with your device and what is the battery rating of the V35?

pocketdoc
02-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "battery rating"?

Andy Whiteford
02-18-2003, 04:03 PM
If you look on the device or on a removable battery, it will display the battery rating in milliamps per hour (mAh).
Just checked Viewsonic's site and the V35 battery is rated at 900mAh.

Vendors typically give a maximum average working time based on optimum settings i.e. low backlight, low sound, processor unintensive processing (possibly idle) and of course no additional components.

As soon as you bump up the backlight, run files from a memory card and various other contributing factors such as intensive applications, sound etc. battery life comes right down.

The two biggest factors as far as I am aware are backlight and external components. From what I have been reading, these tests on the V35 have been running music files from memory card with the backlight on. While memory cards consume a lot less power than oter forms of add on cards such as WiFi and bluetooth, they still require power to access and I assume you are streaming music from the memory card.

I don't have V35 performance tests to hand however you can look at my Axim X5 review and the battery tests with it's larger capacity 1440 mAh battery to get on idea what kind of times a Pocket PC with a battery over 50% as powerful as the V35s can attain.

You won't get close to a Company's maximum battery life claim if you spend the majority of the time playing games, watching movies or other multimedia tasks like music with backlight on or graphical apps.

Tripz
03-14-2003, 06:11 AM
The battery life does SUCK on the v35. i get about half an hour to an hour of watching videos, playing games and listening to mp3's. screen on and off at times with the unit on high performance mode. Hmmm....
i'm going to give the auto mode a try to see what kind of results i get with the battery.

paranet
04-18-2003, 09:23 AM
I have been using the auto mode - i get about 4 hours of combined games and general work.

This is one of the things that I am not happy about - viewsonic did not tell us the full truth when we bought the device - memory, sdio, battary...

mmmmmm....