View Full Version : activesync restore to a new device

spursdude
01-15-2003, 03:31 AM
I'm about to install the EUU3 distributed by Compaq on my Audiovox Maestro. I'm pretty sure it will be just fine, but I'm doing an ActiveSync Backup just in case.

CompUSA will replace my PPC if it gets messed up somehow, but they may not have a Maestro in stock, in which case I get a different PPC.

My main question is this - will ActiveSync be able to take a backup from my Maestro and restore to a new device which is not a Maestro? (I know that some backup methods are very picky about making sure that the device they restore to is exactly the same as that which it backed up.)

Thanks.

ipaq38vette
01-15-2003, 03:37 AM
I don't see why it couldn't work. The WinCE files are the same. However, this may be important. I'm not sure what processor the Maestro runs on, but the different pocket pc should have the same processor in order for the installed applications to run properly. there is an alternative of coping the entire pocket pc directory to the desktop and moving it back, but that is a pain and the files in ROM cannot be moved.

seanturner
01-15-2003, 03:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it won't work. I had a my iPaq 3835 replaced with a 3850 (same specs, just different intneral Compaq model number). But, since the 3850 apparantly used a different rev processor or was made from a different factory or something my backup wouldn't restore. I called tech support about this and they said there was nothing that could be done...

Now, I don't remember whether I used activesync or the compaq backup so it might work for you, I know not...

Ed Hansberry
01-15-2003, 03:41 AM
No. AS looks to make sure it is the same device. Even restoring to the same device with a different ROM or EUU level is dangerous. Registry keys and drivers can be different. They are definitely different between devices - even similar ones like a Toshiba 310 and 330.

Bottom line is, sync your device so your PC has all of your data, then rebuild by reinstalling apps and creating a new partnerhship with the replacement device.