View Full Version : ENCODING video using windows media encoder 9

vybe23
01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi guys....downloaded windows media encoder 9..and tried to transfer an asf to a wmv...worked great...untill i noticed there was no sound!

the video looks great

it transferred my .asf to a .wmv file and shrunk it in half using the pocket pc output mode...

but again NO SOUND!!...upon further investigation i see that it allows me an option to output in the 8.0 codec forvideo but NOT for sound, sound only has a 9.0 codec version...is this why the sound does not play in wmp 8.5?

man, the video looks great...i just wish the sound would work...

do i have to downgrade back down to windows media encoder 8.0? for this to work?

Monty Gibson
01-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi guys....downloaded windows media encoder 9..and tried to transfer an asf to a wmv...worked great...untill i noticed there was no sound!

the video looks great

it transferred my .asf to a .wmv file and shrunk it in half using the pocket pc output mode...

but again NO SOUND!!...upon further investigation i see that it allows me an option to output in the 8.0 codec forvideo but NOT for sound, sound only has a 9.0 codec version...is this why the sound does not play in wmp 8.5?

man, the video looks great...i just wish the sound would work...

do i have to downgrade back down to windows media encoder 8.0? for this to work?

Actually the timing of this post is excellent as I was getting ready to post my results. I don't know why it won't work for the Windows Media Encoder (I assumed it too was the 9 codec that was holding it back). But I then used Windows Movie Maker; it uses the 9 codec, and it works! The same quality of video and with SOUND! So, my suggestion is simple; download the Windows Movie Maker 2. I'm currently at work; but at home I have a movie crunching right now and will be done by the time I get home. I will load it up on my PPC and let you know how wonderful it really is. I've done this with the Windows Movie Maker 2 Beta; so I assume I should get the same results. Side note: Windows Encoder takes twice as long as Windows Movie Maker 2 (don't ask me why) and creates a larger file than Windows Movie Maker 2 (again, don't ask me why).

Good luck!

vybe23
01-15-2003, 08:59 AM
thanks for the valuable info monty..let me know how it goes when you find out for sure!

cheers!

vybe23
01-16-2003, 07:06 PM
i downloaded windows movie maker 2 beta off the windowsupdate for xp

but i cannot see any option to convert video at all let alone for pocket pc, i just see options to add fade effects etc...

can you tell me what option to go to, to get there???? I just dont see it

bostonGuy
01-16-2003, 07:46 PM
After adding your movie clip to the storyboard strip at the bottom of MovieMaker just go to "File->Save Movie" and then "Save it as a File on my Computer" (top selection I think). Then it prompts you for what type of file size based on what you intend to do with it. I always select Pocket PC full screen 218KBps.

This turns my 1-1.5GB DVD-to-MPG files into 150-200MB WMV files that fit on my 256MB SD Card.

Great for my 2-hr commute each to/from work everyday. I could always use another card for the return trip though.

;-)

-bostonGuy

etalianstallion
01-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Does anyone know if there is Windows Movie Maker 2 for the Win2K OS? I've been quite reluctant to upgrade to XP since Win2K has been good to me in terms of stability, but this may just push me to go ahead with the upgrade...

Monty Gibson
01-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know if there is Windows Movie Maker 2 for the Win2K OS? I've been quite reluctant to upgrade to XP since Win2K has been good to me in terms of stability, but this may just push me to go ahead with the upgrade...

I've looked all around Microsoft.com and couldn't find one for you. Actually, Microsoft has a new "Digital Version" of XP out that you can purchase... So, you have options now for your upgrade. I am going to post my comments on my findings in the next few days about my movies et cetera. I've been extremely busy lately.

Hank Scorpio
01-17-2003, 04:47 AM
I just tried Movie Maker 2 to make a movie for my PPCE and the one thing I noticed and liked was you can dial in how big you want the file to be, and it automatically drops it down to whatever the appropriate kbps it needs to be, kinda handy if you ask me.

Monty Gibson
01-17-2003, 02:23 PM
I just tried Movie Maker 2 to make a movie for my PPCE and the one thing I noticed and liked was you can dial in how big you want the file to be, and it automatically drops it down to whatever the appropriate kbps it needs to be, kinda handy if you ask me.

There are numerous features about the Movie Maker 2 that I enjoy; the one you mentioned being one of them. I tried the 320x240 screen size and didn't enjoy it as much as the smaller size running at 20fps. Again, I don't plan to make this my "television" or to replace my existing television so the smaller screen size relates to:

1.) Smaller file size
2.) Better motion due the the FPS, and finally
3.) Better dithering (larger the file, the harder it is to dither )

I've used the encoder and it makes two passes(!) one for audio, and one for video, it makes a larger file and the quality isn't as reliable as the Movie Maker 2. It even locked my computer and I am running a gig of RAM. I deleted Media Encoder to say the least and am using MM2 exclusively now. It's faster, it has better effects (transitions, etc.) and it's just an all around better program I've found.

The best files that I've found to work on my Pocket PC Phone using 10 megs of RAM (because I have other files taking up some space on my Pocket PC) are as follows [side note: I recommend having at LEAST 10 megs of free RAM on your device to view movies:

[u]AUDIO:

1.) 32kbps, 22kHz, Stereo 1-pass CBR
2.) Windows Media Audio V9 codec

VIDEO:

1.) Windows Media Video V7/V8 codec
2.) 208 x 160 (a tad small, but the quality is excellent - Which do you prefer?)

If using Windows Movie Maker 2 for XP then all this is very simple. Just choose option number 1 which is Pocket PC 20fps.