View Full Version : Ipaq 5455 Cradle Broken?

Mayonaise
01-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Hey all,
I suppose I should finally register for one of the most usefull PocketPC sites around. Perhaps someone can enlightmen me on my issue:

My 5455 has not once charged while in the cradle. I have to disocnnect it from the cradle and connect it to the power source directly. Is this a fault in the cradle or my pocket pc? It charges fine when I charge it out of the cradle. BTW, the charge light does not turn on either (while in the cradle).

Thanks,
Mayonaise

Pony99CA
01-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey all,
I suppose I should finally register for one of the most usefull PocketPC sites around. Perhaps someone can enlightmen me on my issue:

My 5455 has not once charged while in the cradle. I have to disocnnect it from the cradle and connect it to the power source directly. Is this a fault in the cradle or my pocket pc? It charges fine when I charge it out of the cradle. BTW, the charge light does not turn on either (while in the cradle).

I think you have enough information to answer the question yourself. If it charges while attached to the cable, but not while attached to the cradle, it seems pretty obvious that the cradle is bad.

However, I'll play tech support and ask the obvious question. Are you sure the plug is firmly seated in the cradle (assuming the cradle is like my iPAQ 3870's)? Also, can you sync while the iPAQ is in the cradle?

Steve

Mayonaise
01-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Well, I live in Canada and I was hoping it was a simple solution that I might have missed. I did not want to cross the border to replace my device.

Anyways...

Mayonaise

Kati Compton
01-14-2003, 05:55 AM
If the IPAQ cradle is like the Dell cradle, you may have to plug the AC adapter into the cradle (ie, provide direct power to the cradle) to have the PPC charge from it. It may not actually pull power through USB.

Pony99CA
01-14-2003, 02:09 PM
If the IPAQ cradle is like the Dell cradle, you may have to plug the AC adapter into the cradle (ie, provide direct power to the cradle) to have the PPC charge from it. It may not actually pull power through USB.
Unless they've changed the design, you do have to plug the AC adapter into the iPAQ cradle. That's why I asked if the plug was seated firmly in the cradle; if it's not, he may not be getting power even though the iPAQ could still sync.

Steve

jt3
01-14-2003, 03:40 PM
The 5455 has a "Charge via USB" setting. I've never used it, but you might check to see that it's off. If, for some reason, your USB port isn't providing enough power to charge the iPAQ (or you're using the serial connection), then having that setting on MIGHT prevent you from charging via the power adaptor when on the cradle.

Mind you, I've never done this myself, so I'm totally guessing, but it's something that nobody else suggested, so I thought I'd throw it in.

Oh, by the way, since the others who responded seem to be in doubt, I should point out that while HP did change the aesthetic design of the cradle, they didn't change the way the power is connected, so yes, you still need to plug the A/C adaptor into the cradle as before; and yes, if it isn't seated correctly, you can sync, but not charge.