View Full Version : Bowling score program

nasaman007
01-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

I am a recent convert from Palm to PPC. I love the HP 1910. I wish it was a little more expandable, but I love it none-the-less.

One program that I had on my Palm that I am trying to find a replacement for is for keeping track of my bowling score. I bowl one night a week in a league.

The program on my Palm kept the scores per night. The input of the scores was wonderfully simple and you were able to see 4 games worth of scores on the screen, plus the input, plus a quick summary of averages and other stats. Is there anything like this on the PPC?

I have checked around at some places like PocketGear and Handango, but just find games for searches of Bowling.

If there isn't a program already out there, do you know how hard it would be write this a program for the PPC? Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for writing a program for the PPC? Are there websites that kind of walk a person through the basics of writing a program for the PPC? Would the just be a Visual Basic program?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

John

nasaman007
01-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Me again...

Another option would be some kind of emulator that runs a palm program on a PPC. I haven't heard of one though. Are there any?

Thanks again.

ironguy
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Interesting that no one has this. You could give HanDBase a try. There are two applets (databases) on the site for League Scorekeepting, but that's not for individual games. It seems that it would be straightforward to create a database and entry forms in HanDBase for this.

nasaman007
01-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the idea Ironguy.

I have used HanDbase before on the Palm. Not exactly sure how to get the scoring to happen automatically with the whole strike and spare thing (you know, adding the next two active boxes).

I'll check it out on the PPC though. Thanks!

ironguy
01-14-2003, 05:53 PM
With the latest version of HB, you can put in If statements. Perhaps make three fields per frame (except frame 10), with pop up values 1-10. If frame 1 + 10, add 20 and so on. There's a way to add consecutive scores. You can even make a series of forms that display the scores per frame, then have another database that stores the fianl scores, computes averages, etc.

Maybe I'll work on it when I get some free time. Let me know how it goes.

nasaman007
01-17-2003, 07:38 PM
I finally figured out how to do it in an excel file. I haven't tried HanDbase yet, maybe this weekend. The excel file isn't the pretties thing I have ever seen, but it seems to get the job done though.

Thanks for the reply.

luebster
01-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Can you make that excel file available to us? I'd love to drop it into mine and wow the guys at the lanes (especially on Monday nights, where they don't have automatic scoring yet. Believe it or not, some places still use pencil and paper to mark scores).

heh heh...maybe I can get the proprietor to install a PPC on each pair with the spreadsheet on it. At least that way, we can eliminate mathmatical errors.

luebster
01-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Me again...

nasaman007, I tried replying to your private message, but I'm such a noob with it, I'm not sure I did it correctly. The message shows in my outbox, but not in my sentbox. Is this correct? Shouldn't it show in my sentbox (I'm thinking Outlook here).

Anyway, if you could help a newbie out, that would be great.

Steven Cedrone
01-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Me again...

nasaman007, I tried replying to your private message, but I'm such a noob with it, I'm not sure I did it correctly. The message shows in my outbox, but not in my sentbox. Is this correct? Shouldn't it show in my sentbox (I'm thinking Outlook here).

Anyway, if you could help a newbie out, that would be great.

It won't go into your "sent" box, until it is read...

Steve

luebster
01-30-2003, 04:44 PM
It won't go into your "sent" box, until it is read...

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

nasaman007
02-03-2003, 02:36 PM
sorry it took so long to read and reply to your messages. I've been feeling under the weather the last week or so.

luebster
02-03-2003, 03:01 PM
No problem. Here in Cincinnati, there were several school districts shut down last week due to both student and teacher illnesses, so I certainly understand.

Hope you return to good health quickly.