View Full Version : Axim: 300mhz vs. 400mhz

Job
01-12-2003, 06:05 AM
I haven't seen anything like this yet, and it seems that quite a few Axim owners are out there. So here goes:

I have been wondering recently if I wasted $100 to buy the $299 model as opposed to the $199 model, $100 that could possibly have been better spent on peripherals. So, prove me wrong. Tell me why the more expensive Axim is worth the money (or not).

Kati Compton
01-12-2003, 06:09 AM
I got the 400MHz version.

I wanted the cradle, so that makes it an $80 difference, and I figured the extra RAM/ROM was worth it. I'm not convinced that the faster processor is actually faster, but to be fair, I haven't actually used a 300MHz one.

Job
01-12-2003, 06:11 AM
What is the benefit of the cradle?

Simone
01-12-2003, 06:14 AM
My hubby gave me the 400 mhz Axim for Christmas. He did all the reseach (being fanatical and all) and decided it was worth the extra $100. I'm thrilled and addicted. You couldn't pry the thing away from me! :D

Job
01-12-2003, 06:21 AM
You couldn't pry the thing away from me! :D

Yeah, I feel the same way . . . We were playing a game in my AP English class, and I was asked the question, "What is the worst thing your friend could do to you?" I promptly replied, "Impale my Axim before my eyes." Needless to say, they all sort of looked at me as if I were a strange, never before seen creature from Mars or something . . . I have no idea why . . .

Kati Compton
01-12-2003, 06:49 AM
What is the benefit of the cradle?

Other than looking really cool? It gives me a place to put the PDA so it doesn't get lost on my desk. If I decide to get an extra battery, I can then use the cradle to charge it separately.

spursdude
01-12-2003, 07:00 AM
more RAM is always a good thing.

Also, if an x-scale optimized Pocket PC 2003 comes out, the extra 100mhz may prove to be very valuable.

KiLLiN-TiMe
01-12-2003, 07:21 AM
When I ordered my 400mhz model, I wasn't woried about the speed as much as I was concerned about the memory. I had a Casio EM 500 with a WHOPPING 16 MEG of ram before this. As you can imagine, I'm in seventh heaven. :grab:

Sslixtis
01-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Well, I bought the 400Mhz mainly for the extra RAM/ROM (more is better) but must admit I would have gone with the 400Mhz anyway, because again more is better :wink:

I fall well into the W?BIC! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64397) (Why? Because I Can!) catagory, that is being discussed in the W?BIC! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64397) thread. :lol:

Rirath
01-12-2003, 08:47 AM
400 here, I want the ram, rom, and all the processing power I can possibly get, and the cradle. It's only $99... what are you /really/ going to get for $99 that can't wait? You're stuck with your specs until you get a new unit. Addons can be brought any time.

Don't sweat it so much. :wink:

Kati Compton
01-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Also, if an x-scale optimized Pocket PC 2003 comes out, the extra 100mhz may prove to be very valuable.

No, from what I hear it's the speed of the memory bus that's really the bottleneck... Doesn't matter how fast the processor is if you can't get the data to it for processing.

Rirath
01-13-2003, 03:55 AM
No, from what I hear it's the speed of the memory bus that's really the bottleneck... Doesn't matter how fast the processor is if you can't get the data to it for processing.

Theories come and theories go. If people are going to bring this up everytime someone mentions X-scale it's going to get worn out. Pocket TV has an Xscale version, extra 4 FPS easily over the non-xscale. May not sound like much, but great news to video fans.

guinness
01-13-2003, 04:29 AM
4 fps? It really doesn't sound like much but it reminds me of people who overclock their pc's to get every possible boost in 3d mark 2001. I got the the 400 MHz model (I don't know which one for sure, it was my x-mas present). The cradle is a must have IMO, it has a slot to charge an extra battery and you can still use the PDA more easily while in the cradle. Plus, it has that Dell logo that lights up when the PDA is plugged in.

Rirath
01-13-2003, 05:39 AM
4 fps? It really doesn't sound like much but it reminds me of people who overclock their pc's to get every possible boost in 3d mark 2001.

We're not talking PC's here. When you're lucky to get 11 fps with Pocket PC classic, don't you think 15 would be more enjoyable? We're not dealing with 60fps here, we're dealing with between 14-24 depending on the bitrate.

etalianstallion
01-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Bought the 400 Mhz version. The extra $100 was easily justified by the faster processor and extra memory. I did get the screen protectors but I don't think that's considered a peripheral.

The cradle is cool. The mirror-finish is nice but you have to clean the fingerprints off it every so often. The blue Dell logo that lights up really tops it off. I've always been a sucker for things that light up or are back-lit. Especially blue. 8)

I would have liked a USB sync cable that also charges the unit. And a clear-case like the ones included with the iPAQs.

Very happy with the unit. Can watch movies on it, play music, games, browse pics taken with my digicam using the CF card. Very addicted to this toy.