View Full Version : My Dell Axim Experience: Week 1

nkannan
01-12-2003, 04:22 AM
I was a long time PalmOS user, and finally decided to take the plunge into Windows CE due to the lack of vision/roadmap going on at Palm, and the rich features I can get now on the PocketPC 2002.

I ordered my 400 MHz Axim on the morning of Friday January 3 (no other accessories since I heard from the forums that they can delay the order). I also ordered the linksys WCF12 that morning (from buy.com on the last day of the rebate, thanks everyone!!!).

Both arrived on Tuesday January 7.

Since then, I have set up the following on my Axim:

- ActiveSync to Outlook (which uses Exchange)
- ActiveSync over the Wi-Fi LAN to check emails during lulls in meetings
- Ability to use network drives and view files

I was frustrated by the fact that FileExplorer will not launch files on the network drive in the appropriate application. I found out about the free NetRunner program, and started using that.

THEN, I noticed that the Resco Picture Viewer which is free with the Dell companion CD has a feature to "share network drive." The GUI requires less keystrokes than NetRunner (it browses the network).

So, now I can go into Resco Pic View to set up a network share. Both NetRunner and Resco appear to create a pseudo flash card called NETWORK and put shares in that "folder."

Next, I pointed the AXIM to my MP3 collection [Note to RIAA lawyers: I have ripped my own CDs pursuant to the Berne Convention, so stop reading this message.]

Now, I can play MP3s in Windows Media Player. I noticed that WMP automatically scans ALL MP3s and puts into a playlist. This sucks since it takes 45 seconds to get all of mine into WMP.

I downloaded MiniStumber from netstumbler.com, but unfortunately it does not support my linksys WCF12 card.

About the WCF12, there are two annoyances: 1) what case to get for my Axim (the free case doubles the thickness!) with it sticking out; 2) the PocketPC program to configure it seems to have some size issue, where part of the GUI falls off the right hand side...

My future things to do are:

- Download better MP3 player (any suggestions)
- Figure out a case solution (Believe it or not, I have the Axim in my free Handspring Visor case with the WCF12 sticking out, in my pocket, constantly paranoid about snapping the antenna portion off the Wi-Fi card!)
- Figure out whether I really need another cradle/AC adapter, or if I can get away with buying one standard cap battery, leaving the cradle/AC at work, and syncing at home with the wireless network...

Hope this helps someone out there, your collective posts sure helped my decision.

- Naresh

Zuph
01-12-2003, 06:52 AM
There are a lot of better MP3 players out there. I myself use Pocket Divx for video and audio, and it works well. Better playlisting, etc. As for the case, I have yes to see one for the axim that will accomodate the antenna well. Not to say there isn't one, I haven't seen it. Very good comments. :) Glad you're enjoying your Axim.

spursdude
01-12-2003, 07:01 AM
There are a lot of better MP3 players out there. I myself use Pocket Divx for video and audio, and it works well. Better playlisting, etc. As for the case, I have yes to see one for the axim that will accomodate the antenna well. Not to say there isn't one, I haven't seen it. Very good comments. :) Glad you're enjoying your Axim.

actually, the newest version of pocket divx is PocketMVP (music and video player). get it at http://www.pocketmvp.com.

octop8
01-12-2003, 12:09 PM
another mp3 player in the market is withmp3 made by some korean developers. It is a great software and well worth the cost! I think it's around US$15. The equaliser is excellent!!