View Full Version : Compact Framework - Visual Studio .NET 2003 Release Date Announced

Peter Foot
01-12-2003, 12:15 AM
http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/INW20030110S0004

Microsoft have announced that the 24th of April will be the release date for Windows Server 2003 and Visual Studio .NET and hence this is when the .NET Compact Framework will become commercially available.

Peter

Rirath
01-12-2003, 02:30 AM
Finally. :D Hmm... wonder what I'm going to have to do to upgrade from Visual Studio .NET to Visual Studio '03?
Hopefully it won't be too bad price wise, with academic versions.

johncj
01-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Rirath,

Upgrade cost will be $29.00 (US)

See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Nov02/11-18VisualStudiosBetaPR.asp
(look for Pricing and Availability)

Rirath
01-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Dang, that's great! I was fully expecting another $100-$200. Hopefully that applies to the academic as well. Thanks for the link, was a good read. I admit I've been falling behind on the news about Visual Studio and .NET... half from lack of time, half because it's so hard to find some actual good reading on it and not random tech papers with no real information. Hopefully I can get myself back in the swing of things once the spring semester starts and I'm using it frequently again. Thanks guys.

flipdoubt
01-15-2003, 01:23 PM
I've got the final Beta sitting on my desk at the office, but I'm not sure whether I can wait until the end of April. Do you think I'll run into any difficulties if I install the Beta now? Is it possible to uninstall it?

I've never used a MS Beta nor have I ever transitioned from an MS Beta to an MS Gold, so I'm just trying to be cautious. Thanks.

FredMurphy
01-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Obviously beta software is beta software and you should accept the perils that come with using it, but I found the beta and RC1 of the first Visual Studio.NET were very stable. No crashes or problems upgrading.

Isn't RC1 out now? If you can find a copy of that you're playing it a bit safer. (Maybe that's what you meant.)

Peter Foot
01-15-2003, 01:55 PM
The Final Beta in my experience is pretty reliable, you can of course uninstall and reinstall when you have the release version. The final beta includes the RTM version of the Compact Framework so the device components will be identical to those that will be shipped with the release of VS 2003.

flipdoubt
01-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

FredMurphy, I'm talking about the Final Beta for VisualStudio .NET 2003 that came with January's MSDN Subscription update. Are you saying there is a more recent version somewhere?

FredMurphy
01-15-2003, 04:21 PM
FredMurphy, I'm talking about the Final Beta for VisualStudio .NET 2003 that came with January's MSDN Subscription update. Are you saying there is a more recent version somewhere?

No - I've just done a quick search an that does seem to be the latest. I haven't bother with VS.NET 2003 as I'm developing a live site in VS.NET 7.0 (or 2002 or whatever, i.e. the first one :?) and didn't have an extra PC to test it on.

Once again MS naming convention serves to confuse - why "Final Beta" this time rather than "Release Candidate". :roll: