View Full Version : Can you partition an SD card into 2 drives?

Freezer
01-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Odd question I know.

Can you partition an SD card into 2 seperate drives?

So that you could ship software on one partition and use the other for data. This way the software side would be safe from a format???

Cheers

Delta737
01-10-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm afraid that's impossible. I've never heard of such an application or option.

Janak Parekh
01-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Hmm. You might be able to do two partitions, but how would that prevent the application partition from being mangled?

I would also avoid it - a lot of platforms assume removable disks have one letter. Not laptops or desktops with IDE/PC card interfaces, but certainly most flash readers and presumably handheld devices.

--janak

Pony99CA
01-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Odd question I know.

Can you partition an SD card into 2 seperate drives?

So that you could ship software on one partition and use the other for data. This way the software side would be safe from a format???

What would prevent them from formatting the software side? If they have the capability to format an SD card, I doubt you'd be safe. Just tell them to back up the software somewhere.

Steve

RedFlash
01-13-2003, 12:27 AM
The partition on an SD card cannot be deleted, at least with the cards available today -- this might change with new SD revisions.

If you can't delete the existing partition, I don't see it being possible to create two partitions :cry: