View Full Version : Problem with removing programs....

musicman5150
01-10-2003, 09:01 AM
HELP!! I have a few select games I've loaded on and so far I've had no problem getting them to uninstall through the activesync or the on board uninstaller. But recently I put on the Snowed In game and also Pac Man, Dig Dug, and Ms. Pac Man games to try out but when I try to uninstall either straight from my AXIM or through Activesync while I'm synced to the computer, it gives me a message on the AXIM saying that the uninstall was unsuccessful because either "(name of program and location)" is being used or is a read only file. So I explored my files through activesync and checked them to make sure they were set as archive and not read only. All of them were set as archive. I then did as the screen said and went into settings/memory/and shut of all running programs (incidentally, none of those programs were running at all but I shut everything off just in case). It still won't uninstall. I could just go in and delete the files but I'm afraid it may have loaded other things into the system when I installed and I hate leaving all kinds of stray crap on my system.

So please tell me how to get rid of these programs and all of their components and if you can, explain to me why in the heck it won't uninstall? I can understand if one of the programs was still in memory and partially being used but everything was shut down.

HELLLPPPPPP!!!!!

I appreciate it

Jeremy

stitics
01-10-2003, 09:49 AM
I am no expert on this...but in my experience, if you do a soft reset on your PDA and then try it nothing will be in use and all will go smoothly.

Just my coupla cents worth.

Andy Whiteford
01-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Are these games installed to a memory card?

musicman5150
01-10-2003, 05:16 PM
No their not on a memory card unfortunately, I wish they were. I haven't been able to get one yet. By the way, any suggestions on what brand to buy and wheres the cheapest place to get memory cards?

Andy Whiteford
01-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Has a soft reboot allowed you to remove these programs? I've seen a similar issue with memory cards but not from main memory. A soft reset should do the trick.

musicman5150
01-10-2003, 07:27 PM
After 2 of you suggested a soft reboot I started thinking hey! Maybe it would work! So I pushed the little hidden button on the left side and sure enough it allowed me to remove them from the system through the PDAs Add/Remove programs. Unfortunately all it removed was the name, the files are still sitting there in their folders when I hooked it up to the activesync and explored the files. I've about had it!

Sslixtis
01-10-2003, 08:01 PM
If it let you remove/uninstall them they are no longer in the registry, which is the important thing. Now it's simple, just navigate back to the folder and delete the unneeded files. No different than some PC programs. :wink:

musicman5150
01-10-2003, 08:06 PM
So if I'm understanding, when I deleted it from the add/remove list it should have gotten all the gunk out of the registry? So I can just delete the left over files normally without worry? RIGHT ON! Hey this forum is great.... I have to say, I applied to a specific forum on the AXIM website and no one has even bothered to answer my questions. Good to know I have friends here I can turn to that are on the ball!

THANKS!!!!!

Kati Compton
01-10-2003, 08:09 PM
I think one of the issues there is that for a lot of Axim owners, this is their first PDA or at least their first PPC PDA. Plus, those that had a PPC before the Dell are probably already established on some other PPC forums (like here), and therefore aren't making an appearance on the Axim-only sites....