View Full Version : USB flash drives

bendigo
01-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Gidday,

Does anyone know the difference between the many brnads of USB flash drives out there?...

which it the best one to get at the best price???
would like to get one that doesn't need drivers... ie just 'plug and play'...
~cheers

Kevin C. Tofel
01-09-2003, 10:14 PM
If you are considering a USB Flash Drive in either the 64Mg or 128Mg "flavor", I would consider the Creative MUVO. It's actually a small sized, bare bones MP3\WMA player that doubles as a USB flash drive. It's roughly 2.5"x1"x.5", small enough for me carry everywhere I go.

Expect to pay around $99 or $129, depending on the storage capacity. There are no drivers needed for it, it's just plug and play on Win2k and WinXP. If you have Win98, you MAY need to install a driver for it.

You should be able to find a good review for it on http://www.cnet.com
Good luck!
KCT

67stang
01-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Hmm, why would you want one? My decision to purchase a PPC (tosh e740) stemmed from my initial desire to have a USB micro drive so I could transport files back/forth from home and work.

Then, after seeing that a decent sized drive (256MB) would cost nearly $200, I figured why not just get an MP3 player, and have the file transportability, plus be able to play music if i wanted. Well that started getting me over the $200 range, near $300 for similar memory size.

At that point the decision to go with a PPC became a no-brainer... spend a little more (i scored my e740 brand new for $350)... now I have far more than I ever expected!

Freezer
01-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Hi ya

Often the difference is wether or not you get any form of encryption / backup software.

The cheap ones often dont have any

Glen