View Full Version : Pocket Inbox Mail Deletion Question

bostonGuy
01-09-2003, 05:47 PM
When I use Pocket Inbox to download my email it works fine (usually). My question is that it never seems to delete my server mail. I have it set to "Delete Mail on Connect/Disconnect" but it doesn't seem to be actually deleting it.

Check mail at 10am - 5 new messsges downloaded, read, deleted, trash emptied.

Check mail at 11am - it counts to 10 in the status bar and tells me I have five new messages which it dutifully downloads for me. I read, delete, and empty trash again.

Check mail at 1pm - it counts to 25 in the staus bar (chugging slowly like the deleted 10am and 11am mail was never removed from the server). Now it says I have 10 new messages (which makes sense cause 15 of thos 25 were from earlier mail checks).

But the problem is that by the end of the day I may have already retrieved, read, deleted and emptied out of the trash over 100 messages but it COUNTS through all 100 of those again just to find and download the 2 I haven't yet retrieved.

It all seems so inefficient. When I download 5 read and delete. On my next connect I should only have to wait while it gets the two REALLY new messages but it'll slog through all 7 to get those 2 new ones.

Does this make any sense? Am I doing something wrong to have it delete from the server as I go through my day? I don't want to wait while it checks all 100 messages to get 2 new ones late in the day.

Help, thanks,

-bostonGuy

mpfeifer
01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Hmmm - Once I perm. delete from the deleted folder (empty deleted items), the next I connect they get deleted from the server. I believe PPC 2002 keeps messages by default until truly deleted. I would check your mail server as it may have some settings to keep messages around.

Mark

griph
01-14-2003, 08:09 PM
When I use Pocket Inbox to download my email it works fine (usually). My question is that it never seems to delete my server mail. I have it set to "Delete Mail on Connect/Disconnect" but it doesn't seem to be actually deleting it.

I had this problem initially - I opened Outlook Express/Tools/Accounts/Properties/Advanced/ and unticked the 'Leave copy of message on server' box. Didn't have the problem thereafter.

Regards
Griph

Pony99CA
01-15-2003, 01:23 PM

Check mail at 10am - 5 new messsges downloaded, read, deleted, trash emptied.

Check mail at 11am - it counts to 10 in the status bar and tells me I have five new messages which it dutifully downloads for me. I read, delete, and empty trash again.

I have my mail set to delete when the Trash is emptied, and that seems to work. If I download 10 E-mails, delete 5, then empty the trash, the next time I connect, if counts up to 10 plus any new E-mails. If I connect again right away, it only counts up to the new ones from the previous time.

As you have your E-mail set to delete on Disconnect, maybe you shouldn't empty the trash. Try connecting and disconnecting a couple of times without emptying the trash to see if that helps.

Just a guess....

Steve