View Full Version : iPaq 5450 VoIP via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth headset?!?!

markl
01-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Hey people,

Let's assume that at some point in time (preferebly soon), HP release an update for the 5450 that lets it use the Bluetooth Headset Profile.

Then, what is the likelihood, in the considered opinion of the talented people on this forum, of being able to do VoIP (over Wi-Fi) to the 5450, and then Bluetooth voice to the headset?

Seriously, would this work for say, an entire floor of people working in an office building, all of them using this system? Or would the Bluetooth kill the Wi-Fi signal?

Cheers,
Mark

VintageSlots
01-13-2003, 06:19 AM
Hey people,

Let's assume that at some point in time (preferebly soon), HP release an update for the 5450 that lets it use the Bluetooth Headset Profile.

Then, what is the likelihood, in the considered opinion of the talented people on this forum, of being able to do VoIP (over Wi-Fi) to the 5450, and then Bluetooth voice to the headset?

Seriously, would this work for say, an entire floor of people working in an office building, all of them using this system? Or would the Bluetooth kill the Wi-Fi signal?

Cheers,
Mark

802.11 and Blue Tooth use the same frequency. However, I have used both at the same time with no apparent problems.

If you had a whole floor of people doing VOIP on an 802.11 network then you might run into congestion problems since 802.11b 'only' supports 11 megabits. This is a shared resource so the more people that are using it the less throughput everyone gets. If the codec that you are using is G.711 then that requires 128 kbits for a duplex conversation (64 kbits in each direction). In reality it is closer to 140 kbits because of packet overhead. Bandwidth could be reduced significantly with different codecs (e.g., G.723 and G.729). However, I doubt the Ipaq has enough horsepower to do anything other than G.711.

Another thing to be aware of is that 802.11b, in reality is probably nowhere near 11 megabits (unless you within a few feet of the access point). True throughput is probably coser to 5 megabits.

daS
01-13-2003, 07:57 AM
There is already a VoIP program available for the Pocket PC from http://www.vedictechnologies.com/vedichomeProducts.htm

Adding a headset profile should allow what you want.

Of course, VintageSlots’ comments are quite valid. I would also add that my experience with Wi-Fi on the Pocket PC is that you can’t even get 5mbps. Expecting the Pocket PC to keep up with both a Wi-Fi connection and a Bluetooth connection might be too much to ask. Of course this will be tested as soon as the software to do it is available.

bdegroodt
01-14-2003, 11:25 PM
There is already a VoIP program available for the Pocket PC from http://www.vedictechnologies.com/vedichomeProducts.htm

Interesting. I see Jason has tried out this product for the PDA. Anyone care to comment on the quality of the sound? Are we nearing business level quality (Not considering the bandwidth issues previously mentioned.)?

senergy
01-30-2003, 04:54 AM
telesym has a good voip app called symphone. ive tried it on various pda's over a wifi connection was pretty good quality sound. BUT as far as i know ipaq's encluding the 5xxx series do not support bluetooth headsets.
which is a damm shame.

Jer
07-18-2003, 12:35 AM
I've been playing with Micro$oft Portrait. It allows VoIP thru wifi. With wifi built in, you can do Video and VoIP...

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

that_kid
07-18-2003, 12:57 AM
I've been using voip programs for a while with my 5455,5555 and 3970. I never tried using a BT headset with it mostly because I don't have one. Having said that I did go to compusa and tried the freespeak bt headset with my 5455. I did the reg hack and was able to actually hear audio from the ppc to the headset and also make a voice recording with the audio coming from the bt mic. The quality was ok at best, but it does show that you can do it. With my 5455 and 5555 I use a cellphone headset that I converted over for use with the ppc's jack. Some voip programs are sjlab (www.sjlabs.com) and xphone (xphone.xten.net)

Johan
07-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Maximum of two hours of usage with both bluetooth and wifi.... Unless all employes gets their own backpack with a huge battery.. :(

From Sweden we have Running Voice IP

http://www.pocketpresence.com/rviplight.asp