View Full Version : Starting GPRS Connection...(and PKTPC2002 Macro questions)

bostonGuy
01-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Well I got my T-Mobile Pocket PC phone about a week ago and love it. Of course I also have a Treo 270 (since May) and love that too.

It's like having a PC and a Mac. I can play around with both and get the best of both worlds. And since it's GSM I can just switch my SIM card depending on what I feel like for that day.

This isn't cheap but it's fun.

I've had many Palms and CE devices including an Ipaq so most of this XDA/HTC device is familiar to me.

Now for my question:

Is there an easier way to connect to GPRS than:

Start->Settings->Connections->Connect

This seems like three taps too many. Most built-in network apps (PIE, Inbox, etc.) seem to have no trouble using the connection manager but 3rd party apps often don't. Plus in my experience if I use PIE to start a connection I can switch to Inbox and use it as long as I don't close PIE or the connection closes with it so sometimes if I'm going to be doing many things it's better to start the connection manually but then I'm back to the annoying 4-taps problem.

Anybody have any ideas or ways to start the connection quicker or even a way to create a shortcut right to the "Connections" page?

Along that same line if a "macro" app existed for PocketPC 2002 that could do this and much more. Palm has the MacroPlay app which can automate many things like this and even other things like regular mail fetches, sound mutes during known quiet times, etc.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

-bostonGuy

Monty Gibson
01-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Is there an easier way to connect to GPRS than:

Start->Settings->Connections->Connect

This seems like three taps too many. Most built-in network apps (PIE, Inbox, etc.) seem to have no trouble using the connection manager but 3rd party apps often don't. Plus in my experience if I use PIE to start a connection I can switch to Inbox and use it as long as I don't close PIE or the connection closes with it so sometimes if I'm going to be doing many things it's better to start the connection manually but then I'm back to the annoying 4-taps problem.
-bostonGuy

I know that the Spb GPRS monitor will allow you to connect just by tapping an icon. It's a program that monitors your GPRS usage per connection but also allows you just to "connect." The program icon rests in the "control bar" at the top of your screen next to "Start," date and time, et cetera. You may want to try that. I don't know if there is a way to custom make shortcuts to the actual "Desktop." I've never heard of a way... and I've tried :wink:. Here's the link to the program in mention:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/gprsmonitor/index.html

Oops... forgot to tell you. I think there still exists a program called DashBoard that will let you put custom links and other items on your "Desktop" but this was about a year or so ago when I was "out" of the hobby. I am sure that it's still available, but I'd personally rather buy the GPRS monitor and have it monitor my connection as well as having a nifty icon to connect without the multiple taps.

Cortex
01-09-2003, 02:14 AM
you can use spb monitor or assign connection manager to an icon on gigabar -- 2 taps either way.

Hank Scorpio
01-09-2003, 02:19 AM
why do you have to connect like that at all? I just launch internet explorer and it connects for me? A little pops up and voila, I connect.

Monty Gibson
01-09-2003, 01:05 PM
why do you have to connect like that at all? I just launch internet explorer and it connects for me? A little pops up and voila, I connect.

I think what the gentleman is trying to do is to keep the connection "open" versus having to open Pocket IE to "connect" and then be able to check email and use any 3rd party application that may use a connection at the same time. Thus; if he could open just a regular connection he could do all three (or four) without having it disconnect on him:

1.) MSN Messenger
2.) Pocket IE
3.) Email
5.) 3rd party applications.

bostonGuy
01-09-2003, 06:10 PM
I actually got my answer over at pocketPCpassion (great having these two boards to turn to).

I created a shortcut to \Windows\gprscpl.cpl and prettied up the icon with the "\Windows\gprscpl.cpl$dll_with_pretty_icon.dll,0(icon number in file) trick" and put that in my Start menu.

Much easier.

Also another reason I wanted this method was not only to "hold on" to a connection while opening and closing apps but for apps that aren't aware of connection manager and tell me "You must connect to the network before you use me".

thanks again,

bostonGuy

Monty Gibson
01-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I actually got my answer over at pocketPCpassion (great having these two boards to turn to).

I created a shortcut to \Windows\gprscpl.cpl and prettied up the icon with the "\Windows\gprscpl.cpl$dll_with_pretty_icon.dll,0(icon number in file) trick" and put that in my Start menu.

Much easier.

Also another reason I wanted this method was not only to "hold on" to a connection while opening and closing apps but for apps that aren't aware of connection manager and tell me "You must connect to the network before you use me".

thanks again,

bostonGuy

Well, I'm left flabergasted. Learn something new everyday :|