View Full Version : Built in POP3 Client Support for names with spaces in them

seanturner
01-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Is it just me or does Inbox fail authentication over POP3 and SMTP whenever I try to input a username which has a space in it? While the PPC program accepts the space when I createh the account, when it connects to my exchange server to try and download the mail, it gives me an incorrect username or password error.

Has anyone elsed noticed this with the PPC?

FredMurphy
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing that you're confusing the displayed user name and the username you use to login to your server (typically the first part of your email address before the "@"). I don't thing any mail poviders allow a space here.

Fred

seanturner
01-09-2003, 12:51 AM
No, I'm not confusing them. My display name has a space and my username has a space as well. I'm running my own exchange server so... yeah. I can connect having that space in using the desktop version of outlook, as well as outlook express, but, authentication is failing on my iPaq.

TheBacklash
01-09-2003, 03:05 AM
I don't think that you can create a email address with a space that transfers across the net... Localy sure.

Can you access your account with spaces in your name across the net on a outlook machine? or just localy?

I don't think you can across the net.... have to look for it, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

FredMurphy
01-09-2003, 10:25 AM
If you're running your own Exchange Server wouldn't the quickest solution would be to change your username to one without a space in it? No point making life difficult for yourself just because mail clients should be able to cope with this but can't.

Fred

seanturner
01-13-2003, 04:03 AM
Its kinda like the converse of the W?BIC factor. WSIHT: Why should I have to? Hmmn.... try switchisng the I and H around in that one...