View Full Version : 9 Series Windows Media Software Now Released

Jason Dunn
01-08-2003, 01:55 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...oad/default.asp</a><br /><br /></div>The 9 series Windows Media Player and Encoder for Windows XP have been released. The bad news is that we still have no Pocket PC player to view 9 Series video content. :evil:

Sheynk
01-08-2003, 02:21 AM
I have version 9.00.002926 and I got that a couple of weeks back via an auto update thingy

Anyway....drool.....ppc media version 9

vincentsiaw
01-08-2003, 02:31 AM
any idea when microsoft uppdate the ppc media player? or it will come with the new ppc 2003 operating system?

paris
01-08-2003, 02:49 AM
since you did mention Pocket PC 2003(I am going off topic but i cant help it)
Isnt it about time that MS released a new bloody OS that will be able to hande the new machines with 400Mhz?? Oh well

seanturner
01-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Isnt it about time that MS released a new bloody OS that will be able to hande the new machines with 400Mhz?? Oh well

What do you mean by handle the 400Mhz? PPC 2002 is sufficiently slow to annoy me on my 400Mhz X-Scale processor... Do you mean by optomising it? Although, didn't ms say they wouldn't optomise win CE for anything?

Ed Hansberry
01-08-2003, 04:29 AM
I'll wait for Windows Media Player 9.0 SP1 which will hopefully include an uninstaller instead of the asinine requirement to do a system restore. :roll:

Rirath
01-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Agreed about the system restore, but I'm personally not waiting. Seems this restore thing is getting far too common with MS. :? (DX 9) MS just doesn't do uninstall. :|

cesarfong
01-08-2003, 05:03 AM
no spanish version buuuuu :(

seanturner
01-08-2003, 05:04 AM
I know, I just installed WMP9 RC2 on a computer I formatted last night and I turn off system restore on all my computers. It looks like I'll end up formatting and reinstalling again :(

Rirath
01-08-2003, 05:17 AM
If you're going to turn off system restore, you should definately have the full thing (Roxio Goback) installed. Otherwise it's just asking for trouble. :wink: (The way I understand it, System Restore being technology licensed from Roxio along with the built in cd burning.)

seanturner
01-08-2003, 05:40 AM
Yeah, it is, but I'm on a W2K domain wtih redirected folders and roaming profiles so all my data is stored on the server so when I reformat all I need to do is reinstall programs...

But, WM9 does have some nice features (the full seek bar and the minimized taskbar mode) which for me at least justify a reformat)

Fzara
01-08-2003, 05:59 AM
I remember reading on a news post a while back about the XScale 400mhz CPU's unable to even show a big speed increase due to the insufficient memory of the "bus".

Therefore, it wouldnt be as imperative for Microsoft to optimize their next PPC OS for XScale, since it wont be able to take advantage fully of it.

I would love to see however a minimize and close button built in, repeating alarms, maybe a working battery monitor that shows the time left on the battery, a cancel button when working with settings in general (i hate how OK is the only button one can press :twisted: ), maybe some nice shortcuts, multiple appt support, custom categories (the list goes on and on, and btw, thats actually Outlook syncronization)

OH yeah! A screenshot capture program built into the OS. That would be kinda nice. ;)

deaj
01-08-2003, 06:37 AM
hi ed,

how can you be afraid of windows media 9 that you have to wait for sp1 because you wont have to use system restore. That i dont understand, you are a computer expert so i dont understabd you would to unstall it in the first time (unless you dont like it, dont know why !!) or you afraid it could hurt your system !!!

By the way Jason, wm9 has been available for than a month, a pretty stable beta i might say ? why is everybody afraid of beta !!! i dont catch it.

Anyway if i had to restore my pc, i could do it in less then a day using a backup which you should all do as a good pratice anyway.

help me understand because i dont !!!

someppcuser
01-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Why is everybody afraid of beta?
It depends what you do with your Win. If it's there to play some games, then fine ;) If you need it to do some real work, you'll be annoyed when things go bad.

About WMP9, have you noticed how it insists on talking to microsoft.net when you install it? These guys are terrible...

Steven Cedrone
01-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Afraid of beta, not as long as you follow this simple rule: "You beta have a backup!"... :wink:

Steve

cesarfong
01-08-2003, 06:58 AM
well i guess i will stay with mi wmp 8 :)

Seraph1024
01-08-2003, 08:01 AM
I have used MS betas for a while now. I tested the Windows 98. I also tested the IE 6 for them. I trust their beta. But I also format my machine at least once a month. But I have been using the WM9 beta and WM9 encoder for a while now -- streaming media into my PPC. Works like a charm.

L

ppcsurfr
01-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Okay... here is the deal with WMV v9 and the Pocket PC. It has been documented that WMV v7 is the better choice for video compression for the Pocket PC. MS says that WMV v8 is not suitable since it requires higher processig power than that offered by the 206MHz StrongARM processor... Now I think you will say... but there is always the X-Scale 400MHz processor right? Well, with the way the 400 MHz processor is oerforming coupled with that 100MHz bus, I think WMV v8 is still not a good shoice for mobile devices... So how can WMV v9 be better for mobile devices? Isn't WMV v9 made to run on higher compression therefore requiring higher CPU power? Or is WMV v9 as ligt as WMV v7 opnly incorporating the ability to be encoded in VBR? So should we actually be waiting for WMV v9 or for WME to support WMV v7 along wit WMA v9 in VBR for the Pocket PC. I think WMV v7 + WMA v9 VBR is the best bet for the Pocket PC... that is if WME9 will support WMV v7.

ppcsurfr

juni
01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
So the wmp9 I just installed is a beta?? Grrr, why didn't I read this thread first. :evil:

paris
01-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Well I am not afraid of Beta :D
I have Office 11 installed and it runs as a charm, I prefer the new look of Outlook and it is far more useable. I had WMP9 beta running for months now, i just installed the final today and i lost all my ratings, i hope that does not happen when normally upgrading the player in the future.

paris
01-08-2003, 11:16 AM

What do you mean by handle the 400Mhz? PPC 2002 is sufficiently slow to annoy me on my 400Mhz X-Scale processor... Do you mean by optomising it? Although, didn't ms say they wouldn't optomise win CE for anything?

I mean a newer version that will run more smothly on both processors arm and xscale, an OS that will be more fast or something.

Perry Reed
01-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Well I am not afraid of Beta :D
I have Office 11 installed and it runs as a charm, I prefer the new look of Outlook and it is far more useable. I had WMP9 beta running for months now, i just installed the final today and i lost all my ratings, i hope that does not happen when normally upgrading the player in the future.

I am SO jealous!! I really want the new Outlook!

Jonathan1
01-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Wow I use DIVX and OGG and amazingly it works on the Pocket PC. There is a reason why they call it _OPEN_ standards guys. No one company can dick the format. Its great that MS is progressing the media format but at the cost of platform support. I would suggest that if Microsoft wanted to really kick their codec in gear and get industry support they release the source for it. But this is MS we are talking about. So there is a snowballs chance of this. :(

I think its a forgone conclusion that MS will eventually release MP9 support but this is another example of them not having their ducks in a row when they release a product.

spursdude
01-08-2003, 04:36 PM
So the wmp9 I just installed is a beta?? Grrr, why didn't I read this thread first. :evil:

I'm pretty sure it's not, check out this website. (http://microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/Jan03/01-079SeriesFinalReleasePR.asp) Unless the beta is now called a "final release"...I'm almost positive what they released yesterday is the final version.

I think people on this thread have been discussing the beta version of this that was around prior to its final release.

galego2
01-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Microsoft has already supplied the updates for Windows Media 9 for the PPC. It was included in the EUU3 update. Although the media player is still dubbed 8.5, it already includes all of the support for Media 9 formats. The only support still missing is for fast streaming.

I would assume Media 9.x will be in the new Pocket PC 2003 operating system due in March or April as well. The beta screen shots of the new Plus! Digital Media Edition included references to the Pocket PC 2003 operating system.

Bob Anderson
01-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Microsoft has already supplied the updates for Windows Media 9 for the PPC. It was included in the EUU3 update. Although the media player is still dubbed 8.5, it already includes all of the support for Media 9 formats. The only support still missing is for fast streaming.

OK.. one question... when will Compaq/HP let us have WM 8.5 for our PPC2002 upgraded IPAQ devices. Anyone have contacts at Compaq/HP that we can hound for them to release the upgrade?

Jonathan1
01-08-2003, 06:54 PM
OK.. one question... when will Compaq/HP let us have WM 8.5 for our PPC2002 upgraded IPAQ devices. Anyone have contacts at Compaq/HP that we can hound for them to release the upgrade?

From what I've read on various board is that there is a tit for tat between HP and Microsoft right now. MS is saying HP can release it anytime they want. HP is saying that they don't have licensing rights from MS to release this to the masses.

sjr
01-09-2003, 12:59 AM
u sure wmp 8.5 plays wma9 files, i just encoded a couple with windows media encoder 9 and neither worked...

Tracy Daubenspeck
01-09-2003, 07:20 AM
I can only speak for my setup, but I am unable to get the audio to work when I stream video to my Ipaq using version 9 media encoder. TV without sound is no fun.

galego2
01-10-2003, 05:14 AM
I thought I had remembered hearing EUU3 added support for Media 9 formats. I thought I had tried it, but I realized it was all Media 8 CODECS I was using. I did some research and I haven't been able to verify that 8.5 supports Media 9. :oops:

So... I retract my former comment and hope that the Pocket PC 2003 OS is released soon so I can get Media 9!