View Full Version : PPC can't open files on a network drive?

67stang
01-07-2003, 07:29 PM
So I got my e740 networked with my desktop. I can browse the shared drives on my desktop, but I cant open any files (i.e. documents, MP3's, images) by tapping the file. I have to copy the file over to one of the local directories before any of the applications will detect it and open/play it.

Is this how it is supposed to be (sucks)... or is there a way to make this work like a true shared drive.

thanks

(btw, i am sure most of you know, but i struggled with getting the e740 network (wifi) with the shared drives on my PC. The problem turned out to be very simple... apaprantly windows CE by default names the PPC devices NAME_PC (my e740 was by default POCKET_PC)... the underscore is not a valid character in the CIFS windows file sharing system, and thus I'd get an error message even though I had the correct path //name/drive. In settings if you change the device name to something without the underscore, all is well.)

bluevolume
01-07-2003, 09:46 PM
With the standard software set, all you can do is browse and copy from the network. The software doesn't allow you to open the files directly.

Why? I have no idea since I know there are at least 3 applications out there that give you true network-drive capabilities. Probabaly one of those "features" that MS was planning on giving us with 2003 - 4.

Blue

octop8
01-08-2003, 12:31 PM
If you get a third party file explorer programme you can open files by tapping them. The Resco Explorer will open all documents (mp3, mpeg etc.) with single taps. File Explorer does not have that functionality at present.

merlin
01-08-2003, 08:05 PM
With the new Resco 2003 it will sniff out Wi-Fi access also.
It Rocks !! :rock on dude!:

dean_shan
01-12-2003, 06:13 AM
With the new Resco 2003 it will sniff out Wi-Fi access also.
It Rocks !! :rock on dude!:

I agree. I think I'm gonna splurge and buy. I don't buy many programs, mostly games, but this app is well worth the price.

rlaustin
01-12-2003, 06:32 AM
With Resco you can also view Desktop/Server based Word and Excel documents from within ZIP files. This program is well worth the cash. There is one little annoyance: when I play MP3 over the network, the music pauses or skips every 5 seconds or so. Has anyone experienced this yet and found the culprit? If not, can the problem be with Windows Media, the network connection ( I use WI-FI) or with Resco?

octop8
01-12-2003, 12:04 PM
I think it is the network speed.....mine works fine most of the time without skipping.....however, sometimes when the connection speed is down to 2.5 or 1Mbps, it starts to skip. Otherwise Resco 2003 is really great!

67stang
01-13-2003, 08:29 PM
With Resco you can also view Desktop/Server based Word and Excel documents from within ZIP files. This program is well worth the cash. There is one little annoyance: when I play MP3 over the network, the music pauses or skips every 5 seconds or so. Has anyone experienced this yet and found the culprit? If not, can the problem be with Windows Media, the network connection ( I use WI-FI) or with Resco?

Downloaded resco trial... works as advertised.

however, I too get constant MP3 buffering. Plays for 5-10 seconds, then buffers for 5-10, then plays.... very annoying. I am on a wireless, and i am not sure if it has to do with network speed, but I bet it has mostly to do with either a combination of lack of processor + memory in the handhelds. I am going to test this theory by playing the same MP3's off my network on my laptop (wifi also.) Last time i did this i recall it worked fine, no buffering issues.

beckp
01-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Would you recommend the whole Resco Utility Package or just the Explorer 2003?

67stang
01-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Would you recommend the whole Resco Utility Package or just the Explorer 2003?

right now I am just using the trial Explorer. I dont know anything about the other software in their bundle, but my gut opinion is the file explorer is all you need.