View Full Version : Compulsive memory management

Diamondraught
01-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Hi, everybody. Great forum.

To the nitty gritty then:

Am I the only obsessive compulsive when it comes to storage space on the XDA? I absolutely HATE using up any of the sparse RAM that is available. I know the registry trick with the temporary internet files (and the WAP ones as well), moving them to the storage card. But what about SMS, POP3 emails, program icons and associated dll's (yes, I install all programs to the storage card).

I realise there is a performance lag with SD take up, but I'm prepared to live with that if there is more physical RAM available for general Phone & PPC duties.

Am I being a tw*t or are there other like minded people out there?

What are your thoughts?

Any good ideas on how to sate my obsession?

(note: this post edited by admin)

Steven Cedrone
01-06-2003, 10:19 PM
If you can live without your "baby" for awhile, you could get the Memory Upgrade (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/XDAup.asp) from PocketPCTechs...

Steve

Update: Just noticed where you were. Not sure then if this is a viable suggestion (guess that's for you to decide :wink: ). Maybe there is someone on your side of the "pond" that offers a similar service?

Diamondraught
01-06-2003, 11:45 PM
That upgrade is available here in good old Blighty, but that is not in keeping with my "tweak it if you can" instinct.

I WANT REGISTRY TWEAKS :twisted:

That's normal for a MS product is it not? :wink:

Monty Gibson
01-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi, everybody. Great forum.

Welcome.

Am I the only obsessive compulsive when it comes to storage space on the XDA? I absolutely HATE using up any of the sparse RAM that is available. I know the registry trick with the temporary internet files (and the WAP ones as well), moving them to the storage card. But what about SMS, POP3 emails, program icons and associated dll's (yes, I install all programs to the storage card).

No, I too store all of my programs (most all) to my storage cards. I have two of them; one is 256 which houses my medical library and then my 512 which houses all of my multimedia, eBooks, games, emails, etc. It's my "work horse" to speak. You're simply not going to to be able to store everything on a card. You might as well understand that right now. Some things have to be on the device in order to function properly. I've tried with Money and it's horrible. I have 16 spare megs of RAM for programs at any given time. It's fine for me and I use mine A LOT. I have some very intense programs that I use for my work that needs a LOT of RAM in order to function properly and have not had to upgrade to 64 or the 128 internal RAM.

I realise there is a performance lag with SD take up, but I'm prepared to live with that if there is more physical RAM available for general Phone & PPC duties.

There is an EXCELLENT program that defrags SD cards that makes them run very, very fast. Actually, the day I received my 512 card I formated it and it runs almost as fast as the device itself. Defrag it daily and you will not have any problems: Storage Tools Defragmenter (http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html) It's only $15.00 which is very inexpensive for the job it performs. It really does an excellent job. It is slow at times which can be a frustrating experience, but overall, a great product.

Am I being a tw*t or are there other like minded people out there?

I am one of them. So, no, you're not alone. But have realized that tweaks and such will only get you so far and it's best to leave things sometimes better left "un-tweaked."

Any good ideas on how to sate my obsession?

I hope I've given you a few.

Bully
01-10-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm trying to run all my apps from the card as well but I occasionally have trouble, (TomTom City maps) I have to soft reset, very annoying. You mention the registry trick with the temporary internet files, what's that? Any tips you've come across would be appreciated.

ps. your pic looks like you've been on the Adnams, or I have!

Bully

Diamondraught
01-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks Steve for the defragger, seems to work a treat. Tip for other Compulsive memory managers, don't install the defragger on the sd card (derr)!!!

Bully, the tweak I refer to can be found here:

http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=7

My piccy is blurred 'cos I look better that way (reads "the world looks better that way").

I see your in Brentford, anywhere near the IBM installation?

rxx
01-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Diamondraught,
You're definitely not alone.

This is what i do to conserve my ppc main memory:

1. All the software i install, i will try install them into my SD storage card. Some softwares must need to install to main memory, so be it.

2. Of course, all my documents files i will save inside SD storage card.

3. I have a file called ClearTemp.exe which i place it in startup folder. Everytime i reset my ppc, whatever files in Temp directory left there is erased.

4. Go to windows/Appmgr directory. Whatever files inside here is SAFE to delete. Normally, it is left behind from software installation process.

5. I've this software called Ziphelp by Thumb Up. I can run and zip all the help files installed there by default inside windows directory into my storage card. depends on how many softwares u installed to ur ppc, the size can be quiet substantial.

6. I do have avantgo, which i have it stored in my storage card.
Also, the temp files for IE can be stored inside storage card too.

I have a few more things i do:

1. Sometimes, when u uninstall softwares, it still leaves behind some files/data still eating up precious memory. Of course, deleting those files/data manually, and selectively.
I use a database explorer and spot database that i no longer need, and i erase them.

2. Same as point 1 above, once in a while, I'll go thru my registry, and delete some data i no longer need in the registry.

3. Some software even though u install it to storage card, it still will put some big dll file into ur windows directory. And this dll file is used only by this guy. You can manually move this file to your application directory in your storage card and the software still works......

For example : Print PocketCE software put a 194K PrintDC.dll file into windows directory.

rxx

griph
01-14-2003, 07:41 PM
It's good to see other Brits here abouts! Thanks for the URL
I tried to access the site but get the "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. " response. I shall try again later. Have you tried it recently?

Regards
Griph

mccollin
01-18-2003, 01:43 PM
I've been holding out on getting that memory upgrade. One rule I try to follow is that I load programs that are more "systems" oriented to memory, and try to put all else on the card.

These are some great ideas. I'll add an FAQ for this to summarize these ideas. You can add FAQs yourself too.