View Full Version : Bugger....

markl
01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
A couple of people in my office have the iPaq 3870, and have found that over the Christmas period the battery has completely run down and the iPaq has lost all its applications and data (effectively a hard-reset).

Is there any way of making an application resistant to this sort of thing, such as by installing it into ROM instead?

Many thanks,
Mark

blazingwolf
01-06-2003, 04:30 PM
You can place the program in the file store and it will remain despite a hard reset or battery drain. The problem seems to be is that all regestry association and icons will be deleted during the reset. This usually means you will have to reinstall any ways.

Pony99CA
01-06-2003, 04:33 PM
A couple of people in my office have the iPaq 3870, and have found that over the Christmas period the battery has completely run down and the iPaq has lost all its applications and data (effectively a hard-reset).

Is there any way of making an application resistant to this sort of thing, such as by installing it into ROM instead?

Installing an application in the iPAQ File Store should prevent this. It won't be touched by a hard reset.

However, if the application installs in the "normal" manner, you may run into a few problems:

Any registry entries the application has will be lost. This may prevent it from running at all.
You'll have lost the uninstall capability in Remove Programs.
You'll have lost the icon to invoke the program, but you can copy the exeuctable and paste it as a shortcut to recover that.

Steve

P.S. I'd suggest a better subject that actually explained what you wanted to ask. "Bugger" doesn't really give much information. :-)

markl
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Okay, thanks for the comments.

Next time I'll chose a better topic subject, although "Bugger" does evoke a certain Hugh Grant-esque humour.... :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Adam
01-06-2003, 06:37 PM
A better thing to do is to ensure that if you think you're going to be away from your iPaq for some time (about a week if unused - though that will vary) then do a full back-up of it.

Also, if you just keep important data on cards or in the file store, then you can simply reinstall the applications. There's an option (in case you haven't seen it) to have your PIM info stored in file store - see under the Settings section.