View Full Version : what would you like to see in the new PPC OS

ipaq38vette
01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
According to recent rumors I have heard, CE.Net is scheduled to be released 2003 Quarter 1. This is what I would like to see :
- Landscape support without reset
- Souped up versions of Word and
Excell
- Vast improvement in PIE, including landscape in custom resolution, save and open images, save targets, save web pages, greater web support, and an extreme increase in speed.
- Highly customizable start bar and interface menu
- A graphics editor
- An onboard theme creator/editor
- Ability to change shortcut icons
- View My Documents just like viewing programs
- Defrag utility
- More games, such as pinball
- Onboard desktop installer for installing .exe files without using a PC
- High preformance

All able to fit in 32MB ROM. For 16MB ROM users, the user picks the components that they wish to install. All of this for less then $50. That should be able to kick Palm's butt. :D

Janak Parekh
01-05-2003, 07:18 PM
What you mean, BTW, is "Pocket PC 2003", not CE .NET; the latter is already out and being used in various devices.

--janak

ipaq38vette
01-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Yeah, sorry about that.
The above is a list of what I would like to see in the new Pocket PC 2003 OS.

gwizard
01-05-2003, 10:56 PM
I pretty much agree with all of the above. I would like to see support for 640x480 screen resolution, but a new Axim will be arriving in a few days and I don't want to be jealous too quick! :wink:

dcharles18
01-05-2003, 11:19 PM
I would like the ability to open multiple windows of the same program, a contrast adjustment for the display (yes, I know you can hack the reg on an 740 an enable this, but I would like to see it be an option across the board), support for tables/graphs/images in Pocket Word and Excel, and the ability to add category icons (a la PI and AF). Also, a built in task manager similar to Pocket Plus.

ultimate_ed
01-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Tried to post this last night, but something hiccupped. Since then, I've had a little more time to think about why this isn't such an outrageous thing after all.

First, the problem: With ActiveSync for Files, we're limited to using a special folder and it's subfolders on our PC to sync with the PPC. This becomes a big limitation for me, since a lot of the files that I would like to sync on my PPC exist out on a network as they are specific to a project that I'm assigned to, are used by several people, and need to be kept backed up by the company's archive system.

So, what I'd really like to be able to do, is go out to that file and, from the pop-up menu, select "Sync to PPC" and have my PC's OS/File System keep track of that file and sync it up just as if it was in that PPC My Documents folder on the PC. You'd have to designate where in My Documents you'd want it to sync.

I thought this would require a major change to the OS. But, I think it might actually be relatively simple. It would require an update to Active Sync and the creation of a new type of shortcut, call it a "PPC Sync ShortCut." With this, you could do a right button drag of your source file to the PPC My Documents directy and have one of the pop up menu items be "Place PPC Sync ShortCut Here". Really, you could update it so that the default left click drag and drop action would be to create this shortcut when you are doing the drag operation into the PPC My Documents folder. When you sync up, Active Sync would recognize the "file" as a shortcut and go to the specified path location and sync with that file.

Essentially, the PPC My Documents folder and it's subfolders would become a repository of shortcuts to files either on your hard drive, on your network, or out on the Internet. In principle, AvantGo does this already.

So, what last night was a wild dream, tonight seems like a pretty reasonable and doable request.

Cortex
01-07-2003, 05:15 AM
could they PLEASE restrain the period "." in letter recognizer so that it can only be written in the PUNCTUATION BOX!!!

GEEZ LUISE HOW HARD IS THAT!!!

JonnoB
01-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Whatever is in the OS, I believe it is already too late to make suggestions... Supposedly, we will see devices based on 2003 this quarter undoubtedly meaning the OS update has been feature frozen for a while already.