View Full Version : Problems with Yame

jtod
01-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a Dell Axim and I am having trouble setting the directional pad up in yame. When I press up, down, left, or right it results in the same mapping. Is there a way to enter the mapping using the keyboard?

Thanks - John

Fishie
01-05-2003, 04:22 PM
I have a Dell Axim and I am having trouble setting the directional pad up in yame. When I press up, down, left, or right it results in the same mapping. Is there a way to enter the mapping using the keyboard?

Thanks - John

Bump.

I have the same problem.

kendrick
01-05-2003, 04:27 PM
I know this one... In Yame 0.38e and 0.38g, the directional key settings are not mapped with hex code. Instead, you actually have to type the words UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT in the blank spaces in all caps, since Yame is smart enough (or if you prefer, dumb enough) to let the OS determine how the D-pad input is being processed during normal window dialogues. So instead of trying to map the D-pad buttons directly, just call up the keyboard (or if you prefer, the recognizer) and type in those words exactly in all caps. Remember to rotate your mappings accordingly if you're using Yame in landscape mode, since the application doesn't automatically compensate for that.

You know, I've gone and done everything to Yame but backwards engineered it since it got abandoned last year, and I'm considering writing the authoritative user manual for the thing. Is there enough demand for such a beast, or is Yame being supplanted by the newer emulators?

-KKC, self-proclaimed king of portable gaming. I own a Watara Supervision, and Atari Lynx and a Turbo Express. But no GP-32 or Wonderswan yet.

bgate
01-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Kendrick,

I would be intested in a guide/tutorial. You mention that YAME has been abandoned, yet it appears through various posts that it is still the best. What's you thought?

And, according to PocketPC Mag, Mame CE3 is the best-but I don't see people talking about it. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent

Kati Compton
01-05-2003, 06:26 PM
I would also be interested.

jtod
01-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Your suggestion worked. Thank you very much. I would be interested in a manual if you a putting one together.

John

Rirath
01-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes, it's been abandoned. Yes, it's still by FAR the best. Yes, any attempt to pick it up again would be well appreciated. Anything to convince these guys to stop using the awful PokeNES. Thankfully it was abandoned at an almost entirely complete stage.

Job
01-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Add my name to the list of those who would appreciate a manual, although I have had no trouble mapping buttons.

Fishie
01-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Thanks man, worked a charm and yes YAME is awesome, perfect NES emulation.

Xtreme23
01-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Hey how is YAme working out for you guys on the Axim... im a little hesitate to try it cause it might lead to errors or just something not working and don't wanna deal with the hassle. And 2nd where do you guys go to get all ur games ..? Thanks for any input

Job
01-06-2003, 05:58 AM
YAME works wonderfully on mine, for the most part. I really haven't played much since I first put it on, I am still somewhat hesitant about mashing buttons on my beautiful new toy. Regardless, the buttons are kinda tightly grouped, making for a little difficulty . . . but all in all it's not bad for gaming. In my opinion, the quality of the graphics are better on my Axim then they ever were on Nintendo. I was wondering about something tho, it seems that the familiar errors I experienced with Nintendo have been imported along with the titles. Are numbers showing through the graphics native to the code of Mike Tyson's Punchout? Another thing, I have had problems with certain games; however, I am sure they would not be difficult to fix if I chose to deal with it, probably as simple as downloading a different ROM file. Speaking of ROMs they are available at many different sites. I am sure that you are aware that you cannot legally download them without owning a copy of the actuall Nintendo game . . . If you are still interested, just search Google for NES ROMs. I would recommend the one with "Ultimate" in its title. Good luck . . .

Xtreme23
01-06-2003, 06:29 AM
i d/l yame and some roms and store it on to my cf.... but how do i actually play the games?

theonegod
01-06-2003, 07:34 AM
where would a person get yame and some roms?

Rirath
01-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Folks, find roms on your own. No one here is going to link to them. As for how to use them... it's really easy. Put some files in the My Documents folder, set the language to english in YAME, file, open. language is obviously in one of the menus, just click.

As for Punch Out, that's just a common NES emulator problem. I remember the days before it was solved on the desktop... people would scream left and right for a working version. Was a good day indeed when it was solved.

theonegod
01-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Rirath and a link where Yame can be found itself?

jk
01-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Here is a link to a working download of yame38g. You want the arm version.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/techmage.com/TMTFF.html

It works awesome on the axim. No problems.

theonegod
01-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks :) I could search but I wanted to make sure I got the best version and figured a current user would be able to help me avoid the wrong package.

GoldKey
01-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Put me down as another that would love to see a manual.

etalianstallion
01-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Okay, this is gonna be a really stupid question. I downloaded the YAME for ARM processors and get an error message when I try to install it from my PC. Can someone give me instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!

Rirath
01-10-2003, 09:00 AM
You're probably trying to run it. Simply copy and paste it over to the Axim using the mobile Device link in my computer.

guinness
01-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Yame runs a lot better than Pocket NES on my Axim 400, the sound doesn't stutter and the animation is more fluid. But slightly OT, anyone else try to run the Pocket Lynx emu? I've found a site with the rom files (even has some of the rare demo carts) and the lynx boot rom, but I still can't get it to work, it loads the cart and freezes.

theonegod
01-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes the file you download for yame is the program executable not a install file so just copy it to the programs folder on your axim and click it to run.

etalianstallion
01-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the help. Copied the exe to the device and things are looking good. Shoulda figured that one out myself. :wink:

BTW, does YAME only support GB and NES? I tried a SNES ROM on it and it didn't work....or are there some settings I need to setup before I can run SNES ROMS?

jk
01-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Yame does not support snes games. There is a super nes emulator called pocket snes...which can be found at www.pocketsnes.com but reports are it is super slow.

There is also a newer version from the orginal source code from bleeding edge. There site is http://paqpark.nuclearfallout.net/projects/pocketsnes.php but most reports say that games only run at about 75% of the full speed.

I am seriously hoping someone would develop an xscale based snes emulator or a faster ARM version that would help both ppc owners. I would do it but I know nothing about programming.

Has anyone tried the Genesis emulator???

Job
01-10-2003, 09:06 PM
About the Genesis emulator -- Not yet, but I would like to. Remember Sunset Riders?

Rirath
01-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Actually folks... YAME does support SNES! :) It's too slow to play though. It's best at NES and GB though. The only Genesis emu I can find is from JimmySoft and doesn't seem to work. CEGG (a Game Gear emulator) does work fine however when set to a frameskip of 2.